Winter Getaway 22nd Dec 2012

anyone who is going on this trip, post here so we can all meet each other and get excited!! :smiley:

This trip is departing on the 22nd of Dec 2012 and returning on the 8th Jan 2013

[color=800080]Hi!!
I am currently planning my Europe trip for December and I am very keen to go on this tour!!! Just have a few things to sort out and then I will be booking it!! I have wanted to go to Europe for ages, so I am very excited!!![/color]

Nice to ‘meet’ you!

How much money are you taking for Switzerland (Francs) and Czech Republic (Koruna)??
I’ve heard that Switzerland is expensive but Czech Republic really cheap… so I have no idea!

i havent really thought about it to be honest. Well the optional activities for switzerland are expensive, but i really am not sure. but prague will be amazing!!! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I won’t be skydiving thats for sure, but thinking about the other excursion

I did the Winter Spirit tour in Dec10 and had a ball, so I am feeling slightly envious of you both right now!

In terms of cash, Switzerland - you will need about 150CHF for the Jungfraujoch excursion - if you don’t do this, there isn’t much to do in Lauterbrunnen besides drinking! The Jungfrau excursion pretty much takes all day - about 90min to the top, have a wander around (be prepared for COLD!!!) and then come halfway down to Klein Sheidig for lunch. If you allow around 200CHF for the total time your is Switzerland, this will be plenty.

For Prague, this is a whole different animal - if really depends on what you want to do. The most expensive thing is visiting Hradcany Castle and the related tour, which costs around 350CZK or 25AUD. If you take the equivalent of 150AUD in CZK, you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Thank You so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!

Do you mind if I ask you another question?

What did you do for money? I.e did you carry around your cash or did you get one of the prepaid mastercard/ visas??
I’m just worried about carrying around thousands of dollars but then not sure about the availability of atm’s and eftpos?

Thank You!

Hi Selina,

Europe is pretty good about ATMs. If you have a Visa/Mastercard attached to your bank account, this is the cheapest way of getting money in non-EU countries. I would suggest that this is probably the best for CHF and CZK. There will be plenty of ATMs.

For the rest, I live by my Cashpassport from Travelex. I think I’ve been using one know for about 8 years. However, make sure you know what your balance is, because it takes about 3 days to clear funds if you BPay more onto the card. The good thing about the prepaid cards is you get a main and spare - so you can have one in your wallet and one in a money belt/bra/other safe location. If you go with a Travelex card, if you have both stolen/lost etc, it’s also easy enough to go into a Travelex bureau in Europe and get issued with an emergency card (take a photo of the cards so you have the numbers and then email it to yourself so that even if you lose your phone/camera, you can still get the numbers from an internet cafe).

My cashpassport is the debit visa - meaning I can pull money out at an ATM, or use it as a regular visa when I’m shopping. If you get one of the ATM only cards, you can’t use it as a visa AND you will get charged the ATM fee from the local ATM.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Thank You so much Anastasia!!!

You have been AMAZING, I really appreciate your help :slight_smile:

I’ll look into a prepaid visa/mastercard offered by NAB which I can load up to 5 currencies on, which will be heaps better than carrying loads of money!

[quote=37964]Thank You so much Anastasia!!!

You have been AMAZING, I really appreciate your help :slight_smile:

I’ll look into a prepaid visa/mastercard offered by NAB which I can load up to 5 currencies on, which will be heaps better than carrying loads of money!

[/quote]

You may want to have a look at this one to: http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/au1/multi-currency/

I used the travelex when i went in 2010 (and still have it with euro on it) but have got one of the multi-currency cards for this years travels as we’re doing more than just europe.

A couple things to keep in mind with the prepaid travel cards is loading fee’s, with drawl fee’s and any conversions fee’s. The Mutlicurrency card i’ve listed above is a 1% loading fee, free withdrawl’s and no conversions fee’s the only charges applicable are third party atm fee’s (if applicable).

Thanks for your help,
I had a look at the Choice website: http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/money/banking/travel-money/travel-money-cards/page/travel-cards-table.aspx

And I think the 28 Degree Mastercard credit/debit card will be the best as there are no fees!