What are your top 10 travel tips?

Hi all!

I haven’t travelled overseas for 5yrs now and I am booked on the Discover Europe tour in September.

I am looking for what your top 10 travel tips or travel ‘musts’ are. They might help prompt my memory of how I managed to do and pack everything that I needed last time!

Any help or ideas that you can pass on will help me and anyone else who reads them.

:slight_smile:

Kristy

Hey Kristy! My tips would be be prepared! Read the smart traveller website to be up to date on all the latest info round the world and if there’s been any changes to what you can and can’t bring along with you.
Depending on where you’re going as to how often you will get to wash your clothes I’m just going to pack heaps of underwear and socks to avoid running out. Do take cold and flu medicine/bandaids/panadol etc (I’m assuming you aren’t allergic to panadol here so just a general idea). I think its worth the time to pack stuff like that. Very comfy walking shoes! Sunscreen! An extra memory card for your camera and spare battery if possible. I bought mine online through betterbatt.com.au they were so fast with delivery. There’s so many tips but that’s just a couple I thought of. sorry it posted ny message twice, before I got to finish what I was saying lol. Anyway have a great trip :slight_smile:

Thanks guys!

You have reminded me of some important things!

Hi guys,

I’ve posted a fair few tip/tricks and advice comments over on this thread:
http://forum.topdeck.travel/european-tour/27900/q-s-tips-advice-mega-euro-others-ask-here

There is a big list of things to pack and advice in the middle of the thread somewhere and if you have any questions just ask them there :slight_smile:

I hope that helps! Good luck on your trip!

definatly laughed at mikedisco’s reply. funny and truthful!

KUDOS! ;D

• Gum. There’s something about traveling that makes people hungry. Maybe it’s the waiting time before the plane. Having nothing to do on the train ride. Maybe because you’ve never seen that candy bar before. Not really sure what it is, but bringing some gum can keep your mouth busy and you won’t be getting off the bus or the train feeling sick after binging on that 4th Twix bar.

• A reusable water bottle! Brita and tons of other water bottles even come with filters now. There’s metal ones that keep your drinks cold or hot for longer, small ones, big ones, ones that look like a huge plastic bag…whatever the case, you will feel all powerful when your friends come to you for a drink during that four hour long walking tour around Rome.

• I digress with mikedisco - silly yes you look running through an airport with a backpack, but thats probably because you need to tighten your back straps. A nuisance you will be in crowded areas and when walking down cobbled European streets (those wheels were made only with flat surfaces in mind).

• First aid kits are super handy. But really, always bring medication. Maybe not your daily vitamin supplements, but definitely bring double the amount of painkillers and allergy medications.

Hope that helps! Have a safe and wonderful trip :slight_smile:

First conform flight ticket, conform hotel book. Keep required amount money.

1. Pack Light
  2. Keep your gadgets in a separate bag or compartment.
  3. Double check all the important documents i.e. itinerary, visa etc.
  4. Never allocate a fixed time to a visiting spot.
  5. Always bargain.
  6. Always have a waterproof camera or Smartphone for photography
  7. A good pair of joggers if you intend to walk a lot.
  8. Exchange your cash for the local currency before hand.
  9. Keep Calm
  10. And finally, embrace the experience as it happens!

[quote=45981]1) Pack Light
2) Keep your gadgets in a separate bag or compartment.
3) Double check all the important documents i.e. itinerary, visa etc.
4) Never allocate a fixed time to a visiting spot.
5) Always bargain.
6) Always have a waterproof camera or Smartphone for photography
7) A good pair of joggers if you intend to walk a lot.
8) Exchange your cash for the local currency before hand.
9) Keep Calm
10) And finally, embrace the experience as it happens![/quote]

This is a great full list we can reference. I will add a pair of
Hawaii flip-flop and my RavPower battery charger each time
I traveled.

1. Proper Planning
  2. Advance Bookings of hotels and transportation
  3. Guide map of the area.
  4. Easy to carry luggage
  5. First aid kit
  6. Never carry your wallet in your back pocket
  7. Take notes of the places you want to visit
  8. Take your camera with extra batteries and keep them rolled in clothes so that it doesn’t break.
  9. Take mineral water with you.
  10. Don’t get in personal talk with strangers.

These are the most important thing everyone will remember before going for trip
Be Flexible
Make a List
Learn Common Phrases of the Local Language
Don’t Forget an Extra Camera Battery (or Two)
Always Bring a Sarong
Always Buy Travel Insurance
Make Photocopies of Important Documents
Pre-plan Your Outfits
Put Electronics, Medications, Toothbrush, and an Extra Pair of Underwear in Your Carry-on
Enquire about the price BEFORE You Take Public Transportation

1. Always find useful application of that country, such as metro application.
  2. Never forget to bring socket or converter with you
  3. Even if you are visit during summer, always bring a long sleeves
  4. Purchase a mini bag that you can keep all your important items
  5. Do not afraid of eating new kind of food.