Warning about venice

got this off another travel site…[br][br]Venice to Fine Tourists Feeding Pigeons [br] [br] Pigeon-loving Tucan Travellers heading to Europe this summer be warned - the tradition of feeding pigeons in St Mark’s Square in Venice is over. Starting on Wednesday it will be illegal for tourists to nourish the birds, and those who breach the ban could be given a fine starting at 50 euros. The sale and distribution of grain to feed the birds has also been banned.[br][br]According to E Turbo, authorities are trying to protect and clean up the square, which is a UNESCO Heritage Site. Authorities say pigeons are leaving droppings everywhere and damaging the city’s marble statues and buildings by pecking at small gaps in the facades to hunt for food scraps.[br] [br]

hahaha!! I just read this and was gonna post up the article :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Seriously though, you don’t want to be feeding them and have them all over you like most of the tourists do.[br]They are disease ridden creatures over there :o[br]There was something about it awhile back, the pigeons are breeding like wild fire. So, they are trying to prevent more from coming.[br]Someone once described them as flying rats… i can’t remember where I read that. haha

I was here and it was disgusting to think people would feed germ-infested birds that fly around spreading their germs(plus there are better things to do in Venice…they say the birds are sacred)…I remember having to cover my gelato from the horrible feathers and vermin that may have entered my delicious gelato.

haha cruisey I agree- Rats with wings!!! They are everywhere…I remember how many were flying around last time I was in venice!

I agree too! Be glad you are not feeding them, most of them in Venice are full of lice and are disgusting to look at. [br]Hopefully it will make the square a whole lot easier tog et through now that you don’t have to negotiate those infested things.[br][br]Danielle[br]Aussie living in Uk[br]Mega European July 6.