Travelling with valuables (laptop, camera, etc)

Hey, I have my first trip to Europe coming up and am looking at taking my Macbook (a light 13" model) and my digital SLR with me on the trip.

My tour is a hotel tour (not hostel) that lasts just over two weeks and the reason I am taking these with me is because I intend to set up base in London for a while after the trip and do not intend on returning to Australia for quite some time.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding travelling with valuables? Or any experience doing so?

Hi Matt,

I’m planning on doing the a similar thing in april when I leave. I would suggest a couple of things:
EG: make sure your travel insurance covers you for your laptop and SLR, I had to pay a little extra to get $4500 worth of technology coverage which was fine for me.

Backpack: I have bought a lowepro Fastpack. If I was you I would look at at fastpack 200 or 250 which will hold your laptop and a fast access pouch for your DSLR 2 lenses and a flash. I also has a small compartment for a day pack type thing where I put my cables passport water bottle and a few little things.

Hope that helps

Hey mate, thanks for the advice! I thought maybe it was a stupid idea travelling with a laptop and an expensive camera. As long as its covered with insurance I guess I’ve got nothing to worry about!

Enjoy your trip mate!

Hey there guys

I am also taking my dslr so that does make me feel a bit nervous, but I know I would be disappointed if I don’t bring it with me. I am covered by insurance but still. So I guess I going to risk taking it and just hope I am surrounded by honest people on my travels around the world. Also the other thing is I would have to buy the adapters for the different countries (Thailand, Europe, Uk, America and Canada) to recharge my battery. Are you guys taking two batteries (one as a back up)? I was thinking about buying another one. And how are you going to go with your pics, will you just down them along the way to laptop or portable hard drive? I won’t be taking my laptop so maybe I might have to take a memory card reader and a external hard drive? Will you just have like a couple of memory cards too? It will be heavy to cart around but, the photos for me are well worth it.

Cheers x Amanda

Hey,
Yeh I’m still tossing up if I wanna take a laptop or not too… I’m thinkin I will end up taking it because i have a lot of flights and plane trips with a lot of downtime so I can mess around with my photos then. I have got 2x 16GB cards and a 8GB card. what I did was work out how many photos I would take. Then work out realistically how long it would take me to get to a computer to get my photos onto a cd or harddrive. My biggest problem is I’m backpacking for 6 months and have my big backpack but I also want to buy a daypack to put my laptop and dslr in but its just getting heavier everyday??? I’ve got a detachable daypack on my big pack to I’ll pretty much have 3 bags on me!! Do I wanna do this??? Anyone got any ideas?

I’ve decided to travel with my camera and my laptop. I’ll be taking out travel insurance and if they are lost I will get them replaced. I just need to make sure I back up my data and keep that safe as that is irreplaceable really.

Stazz, I liked your idea about the Lowepro Fastpack but as you said I’ve got a Black Wolf pack with a detachable daypack so taking the Fastpack although convenient will make it more inconvenient, if that makes sense.

Hey guys,

Just a quick update, I have now been travelling for 3 months in europe. So from first hand knowledge a couple of things. I’m carrying a DSLR and a 15" mac. First thing is this stuff gets really heavy when you are back packing! but then again I would never travel without it. I have been really lucky at this stage. basically all i have been doing is locking my lappy and camera in my bag. most hostels have a safe but won’t be enough to fit your lappy nor camera. usually just trusting the people that are on tour with me and being more careful when by myself.

any questions just let me know happy to help

i suggest you not to take such an expensive laptop while traveling.

Hey guys,
I’m going travelling for 5 and a half months in June and I’m planning on taking a 15" laptop with me.
I have bought a laptop backpack that I can use to and from airports, on the bus, etc that I can also fit other stuff in such as water bottle, purse, camera, etc.
On some days when I am out sightseeing for the day I think I’ll leave my laptop in the backpack in my room and just put locks on it.
It’s also covered under travel insurance too :slight_smile:

Hi,
These are some tips regarding traveling with valuables things.

1. Instead of carrying around loads of cash and credit cards, use traveler’s checks and only take along one or two credit cards instead of carrying cash and credit cards.
  2. If you are staying at a hotel, lock all of your valuables in the room safe.
  3. If you must use an ATM machine, be sure to only take small amounts of money out at a time.
  4. And do your best to not stand out as a tourist. Tourists are the easiest targets because they are not aware of their surroundings

[quote=25278]Hey guys,
I’m going travelling for 5 and a half months in June and I’m planning on taking a 15" laptop with me.
I have bought a laptop backpack that I can use to and from airports, on the bus, etc that I can also fit other stuff in such as water bottle, purse, camera, etc.
On some days when I am out sightseeing for the day I think I’ll leave my laptop in the backpack in my room and just put locks on it.
It’s also covered under travel insurance too :)[/quote]

15 inch…you take the whole network.not a computer

[quote=25298]Hi,
These are some tips regarding traveling with valuables things.

1. Instead of carrying around loads of cash and credit cards, use traveler’s checks and only take along one or two credit cards instead of carrying cash and credit cards.
  2. If you are staying at a hotel, lock all of your valuables in the room safe.
  3. If you must use an ATM machine, be sure to only take small amounts of money out at a time.
  4. And do your best to not stand out as a tourist. Tourists are the easiest targets because they are not aware of their surroundings
    [/quote]

Hi everyone,

in response to the first tip above, my understanding is travellers cheques are no longer widely accepted and, hence, difficult to cash in. I’m guessing people wouldn’t want to be spending the limited amount of free time they have on a tour searching for a place that will accept travellers cheques. If you’re worried about having money or cards stolen perhaps carrying it in a money belt or neck pouch might be better.

Kate