Travelling solo - 1st time

Hi there,

I want to book at trip for either the end of this year or the start of next! I have no idea where to start or what to do … any help would be greatly appreciated. My cousin suggested top deck and that is why I am here now :slight_smile: I am thinking Europe as it has always interested me but I am not sure - I will be travelling solo and just really want to get away, enjoy the world and meet new people. PLEASE HELP !!!

Thankyou in advance to all that reply :wink:

CONGRATS on taking the first steps - it’s exciting planning holidays!

Europe is a great place to start your solo travels :slight_smile: There’s so much to do and so many other people in the same boat as you that you’ll never really notice you’re alone! There’s also so many different cultures and countries over in Europe that there’s a different experience every time you get to a new place (and its all so conveniently close too!)

I’m about to go on my first international solo trip so what I did to get ready was research all the places I wanted to see. I wrote a list with “definitely want to see”, “would like to see” and “If I can afford it I will see”. Then I went into a few travel expos and researched all the tour companies, got quotes for flights and brochures from everywhere! Then I had a fun day just reading through everything I could get my hands on. I decided on a tour as it would be the easiest way to see as much as possible in as little time as possible and not be alone for the entire trip :slight_smile:

When you look at tours decide BEFOREHAND how much you want to budget for the entire trip. Be realistic - don’t expect to get a huge long and exciting holiday in Europe for $2000. My budget was $5000 including tour, flights and travel insurance. You can usually snag yourself a really good deal at those expos I was talking about and DON’T be afraid to make the travel agents work for your business ::). Compare and challenge them to do better…it’ll be worth it in the long run! I saved $1000 by pushing them to do better…totally worth it. ;D

It’s also good to decide which months you want to travel in. Summer (eg. June July and August) are the busiest times for Europe with all the tourists inundating each capital city. I chose to go in April - mainly cause I wanted to go ASAP - but also because I didn’t want the sticky heat or the overpowering crowds.

Don’t forget to research whether you need any visas. Australian’s are pretty much able to go anywhere - but if you choose a Russian tour you WILL need a visa. I got a visa as I will be staying in the UK after my tour to work for 2 years. B-)

Even though it’s a while to go before you plan to leave, START SAVING NOW. Open a savings account online and start putting money away. I did a bit of research on these accounts and found the UBank savings account (backed by NAB) to be the best for me. It’s got one of the highest interest rates so you get more money for saving money! Sounds smart to me! :wink: Then I just set up an automatic savings deduction from my spendings account and voila! Instant savings! ;D

Anyways, I hope that’s been a bit of a help for you! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or send me an email at kitty_kat2010@hotmail.com (you can also find me on facebook that way too).

GOOD LUCK! You’ll have the time of your life!!! ;D

I am also travelling overseas for the first time solo. I am a 21 year old female from Australia and really excited. I will be in London from 25th July for 3 days before my tour European Venturer Starts on the 28th. If anyone is interested in meeting up or doing the same tour let me know.

Hi Lizzy,
I did the discover europe tour in July last year (first time overseas and on my own!) and had a absolute ball!!!
there were 5 other girls in my tour travelling solo but we all mingled together and still stay in contact via facebook now we are all home again.
I cant wait to go back again this year with topdeck for another fantastic tour! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi,
I’m travelling to Europe on my own and doing the GRand European tour starting on the 31st may. Am a bit stressed out about travelling on my own. If anyone has any good tips they would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks , Kate x

[quote=23266]Hi there,

I want to book at trip for either the end of this year or the start of next! I have no idea where to start or what to do … any help would be greatly appreciated. My cousin suggested top deck and that is why I am here now :slight_smile: I am thinking Europe as it has always interested me but I am not sure - I will be travelling solo and just really want to get away, enjoy the world and meet new people. PLEASE HELP !!!

Thankyou in advance to all that reply ;)[/quote]

Hi Lizzy,

You are at the right place to get suggestions to plan your trip. Indeed! Europe is the best place to travel and enjoy the beautiful cities out there.
You should take a look on European travel guides on internet firstly! I am sure you would get a great help! Be specific which cities you would want to visit in Europe before taking the next step.
Would love to reply you again if you need more suggestions :wink:

Hi Lizzy,
I did the European Pioneer in 2009 travelling on my own and had an absolute ball! Whatever trip you decide to do you’ll meet other people travelling on their own and make heaps of new friends.
Also the good thing about tours is that you don’t have to worry about all the planning because that’s done for you and you get to see some amazing places that you wouldn’t think of going to yourself, plus you get plenty of free time to see the things you want as well.
I think it’s the best way for solo travellers :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,
I’m 23 years old female from Mauritius (small island in the Indian Ocean) and also planning on traveling solo.
The trip I plan to do is the Europe Unplugged starting May 26, 2011 (camping).
I would like to be in contact with anyone also planning to go on this trip. And if anyone has any advice, you re welcome :slight_smile:

Hi all,
Im 25 from Perth Australia and am travelling alone, i arrive in London on 23rd April and am looking at doing europe uncovered starting on 5th of May I would like to know anyone else doing this tour or in London to meet
Thanks

hi
this is my first time to
im doing the discover france this year july 2,
you should do it to coz it sounds amazing :slight_smile:
its a 2 week tour around all of france, the most romantic country in the world!

Hi Guys,

I am also travelling solo, I take off for almost 4 months and plan to make friends along the way! There will be plenty of people travelling solo and from what I’ve heard people tend to group together and go on activities together :slight_smile:

xo Bec

Glad to hear so many people are being courageous and travelling solo.
I’m also solo. I’ll be in Turkey this weekend for a quick Anzac Day tour; then who knows where next.
I’ll be in the UK eventually, because that’s where I have a working Visa.
Ps. Also from Perth, WA. 28yo. Single :-x B-)