Travel Guides

Hey all, me again ;)[br][br]I was just wondering if anyone could reccommend any travel guides - such as lonely planet/Lets Go! etc something that is on par with top deck.[br][br]I am looking at doing a bit of research on where i am going (on the Spirit of Europe tour) because there are some countries i dont really know that much about, and im not sure what the drawcards/must see’s are.[br][br]Cheers[br]Leeana

Hi Leeana, I highly recommend Rick Steve’s travel books! His books provide so much valuable info, hints, tips and he also gives sites different ratings (ie: must sees etc). I took mine with me on the Discover Europe trip.It was like our bible. You won’t be disappointed with his books. Plus, they are so much better than Lonely Planet books. I find these books provide you with far too much info in which I didn’t find very valuable.

Oh Thanks!![br][br]I have had a look at Lonely Planet guides, and they seem so overwhelming![br][br]I will definately check out thos books :smiley:

Well bookwise, I like the MTV Guide to Europe, because it is geared more towards the younger crowd, but is published by Fodors so it still has good info. It helped a ton![br][br]Also, I recommend, tivo-ing all the travel shows you can. I watched about every rick steve’s and really enjoy Samantha Brown’s passport to europe. They help alot in giving you an idea of what each city is really like.[br][br]I’m booked for the Grand European leaving May 22. Let me know if you are going too!

ice, which rick steve travel book did you get?? i am going on the discover europe tour and would like a guidebook, but i noticed there are a few books for europe…

I just bought 2 of his books off Amazon.com, i bought the Best of Europe 2008 and Through the Back Door :)[br][br]I cant wait for them to arrive :slight_smile:

You will be given heaps of valuable info with those Whirlsie.

I got my books from Amazon the other day and I have been madly reading! I really like his “Europe through the Backdoor” and I havent started the “Best of Europe” yet. I bought them both in the 2008 editions, so they should be good :)[br][br]I had a quick flick through the Best of Europe, and i didn’t realise that it actually was the best of Europe (blone moment), so it doesnt actually have everything in there, although it does have the majority of the countries that I will be going to, but I’ll nee to dig out some additional info :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hey Ice[br][br]I was just wondering what book you bought?[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hi Whirlsie, sorry for the delayed reply. I had “Rick Steve’s Europe through the back door”! [br]Fantastic book…can recommend it enough! You will never look at LonelyPlant books again after this one![br][br]Oh dear…just read your additional msg Whirlsie! They are fab books!

I think there were some places we went to in which there wasn’t anything in the book. It covers the major places/main cities etc. You can also get his books just on one country.

yeah theyre are so good! i love the tips in them and the way they are written is just awesome :)[br][br]In the Best of Europe about a third of the places i am going to in Europe is in there, which is really awesome :slight_smile: [br][br]I have been doing so much research that most people would think i’m a little loopy hahaha! I just like to be prepared and i want to have the best possible time. Not that my days are planned, just ideas for things to do, whats good value, whats not, etc :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I got the London for Dummies, and Europe for Dummies books. I hope they’re good

I used Rick Steves’ Great Britain and Ireland books on my trip. He certainly misses out on a bit covering only where he thinks you should go. Since then I’ve gotten Lonely Planet’s Europe on a Shoestring and it looks pretty good for Western Europe.

Hi Leeana,

I found trip advisor website really helpful before my trip- you can search for particular cities/towns/countries and what to do there, where to eat, where to stay. You can also look up specific attraction/hotels etc and how other travellers rated them.

Cheers,
Mel.

Eye witness pockets books are great. they are light and small but have plenty of info on all the major sights in the cities and even info on areas just outside major cities. i used them all around europe and highly recommend them!

Rick Steve’s “Europe through the back door” is fabulous.

ps: ice5 used to be me but it’s been about 2yrs since I’ve been here so I had well and truly forgotten my password and never got the reminder re: it.

ice5 is back! Yay, I worked it out! Doh!