Travel around eurpoe

Hey all;
Heading of to Europe later this year, and plan on doing several smaller tours rather then one big one. As the smaller tours better suit what cities I want to see and mostly how long I want to be in them. A single night in a place like Rome, Prauge or Florence is just not doing them justice I believe, the smaller tours I have chosen gives me more time in these places.

Now the question how hard is inter-city travel around eurpoe, especially as I am traveling alone and only speak english. Is bus/train travel easy to use etc? Or am I going to cause myself a big headache?

If it helps I am looking at traveling from Prauge-Florence, Prauge-Rome-Florence or Rome-Prauge, as these are the strart/end of the tours I am doing.

Hi Nick.

I’m heading to Europe for the first time later in the year and am doing the Pronto Italia tour. I’m catching the train from London to Florence and after the tour will be heading back to London via my own solo tour of France. I will be travelling from city to city by rail.

I’ve been doing quite a bit of research on this and have come to the conclusion that train travel is the most efficient (and affordable) means of getting around. It is also a better way to see the countryside and more comfortable than a bus.

I’ve found the following to be quite a helpful webiste:

www.seat61.com

I only speak English myself, however I am familiar with some Italian & French - enough to get by with basic conversation.

Cheers.

[quote=33535]Hey all;
Heading of to Europe later this year, and plan on doing several smaller tours rather then one big one. As the smaller tours better suit what cities I want to see and mostly how long I want to be in them. A single night in a place like Rome, Prauge or Florence is just not doing them justice I believe, the smaller tours I have chosen gives me more time in these places.

Now the question how hard is inter-city travel around eurpoe, especially as I am traveling alone and only speak english. Is bus/train travel easy to use etc? Or am I going to cause myself a big headache?

If it helps I am looking at traveling from Prauge-Florence, Prauge-Rome-Florence or Rome-Prauge, as these are the strart/end of the tours I am doing.[/quote]

The local train systems in most places are good… we used the train in Paris and Rome when I travelled a couple of years back just for getting around… most inner city’s you can walk provided you don’t mind the extra exercise!. The train systems in most cases will have colour coding (Rome from memory) and/or English translation… you shouldn’t have trouble getting around.

From city to city either train (if you have time) or fly. Airlines like Ryan Air are cheap, you can also use the “Skyscanner” website which is good for finding cheap flights.

My girlfriend and I are travelling later in the year and like you have chosen to do a couple of smaller top deck tours rather than one long one, both of us have travelled europe before and it was the only to see the places we wanted without doubling up to much…