Tour Managers

Hi![br]After another persons mention of the Contiki forum I had to have a look and I was a bit bedazzled (I love that word)![br]I have got the impression Top Deck is somewhat more professional after reading some of Contiki posts and even some from their staff![br]But there was a lot of talk about bad tour managers and I wonder for the people who have experienced Top Deck tours what their thoughts are? I would have thought being a TM would be a dream job for people who love traveling so I was surprised to learn that they seem to dislike their jobs. I know everyone has their ‘bad’ days but it sounded like some did the job for the free grog and potential hook up’s (I mean I can kind of get the attraction but you would think they couldn’t get away with it every day!)[br][br][br]Lisa -o-[br]Melbourne

lol[br][br]what posts are u guys talking about?![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Check out this discussion![br][br]http://connect.contiki.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/152107333/m/456103743[br][br]Lisa -o-[br]Melbourne

hahaha! OMG!![br][br]I always thought top deck was a bit more professional too (and in australia its mostly the younger “lets get smashed every night” crowd that goes - or atleast that who i used to sell them all too!)[br][br]Personally I am there to see Europe, I will drink but I reckon the worst thing would be to have a hangover and be on a bus for 9 hours! yuck! My old manager had a guy on her contiki tour who got drunk every night, slept all day so when they stopped, he jjust stayed on the bus and everyone took his camera and got photos for him… not my way to do it personally! what a waste of money! lol[br][br]I hope our TM will be better than contiki’s though…[br][br][br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Even tour managers would get sick of there job after awhile. I mean who enjoys living out of a suitcase month after month? And i know i’d miss the comforts of my own home, like my own bed etc[br][br]I feel like i’m jumping to the defence of contiki lol. But, I have to say not all of the tour managers/guides are the same. My first tour manager was good but she was nothing like the 2nd one. He, always went out of his way to make sure people fitted in, that one fussy eater got “special” meals because he wouldn’t eat anything at all otherwise. It was just things like that. He was one of those who actually worked for his job. He did go out and have his fun, but he was always a great tour manager and full of info as well.[br]The only thing with contiki was that they expect you to tip the driver and the manager at the end of the trip. Although, you can tip whatever you want it can be hard to find that extra money at the end of the trip.[br][br]I was like you Leeana, I wanted to see europe after forking out all that money. I couldn’t justify having a hangover or missing out on something.

Hi![br]I would just like to say our Topdeck tour manager was excellent! At first I thought it was a real easy job, but as the trip went on I realised it is a really busy, stressful, 24 hour a day thing and she handled it really well…Her dedication and enthusiasm really added to the enjoyment of our European adventure. We still miss hearing her voice in the morning (Italian accented) “Okay guys!!”[br]:slight_smile:

Someone raised the topic of tipping Tour Managers- whats the rule there? Are we expected to tip or not? And whats the norm that people tip? 10%- 15%?

On a Topdeck trip you are not expected to tip the tour leader or bus driver. Our leader told us about Contiki which do expect tips for the leader and driver at the end, about 2euro per day of the trip for each or something…Ridiculous!

Also considering their tours are a bit more expensive too![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I wonder if tour managers guide people around the city’s sites?

Our tour leader walked us around the cities briefly to get us situated and show us where things were before letting us roam (which was great), but I was on the Britian and Ireland Explorer so we had a more leisurly time than the European trips where timing is critical or else you can get left behind. Our tour leader and bus driver were both awesome and came out drinking with us when they could. It was even our tour leader’s birthday on the trip which we went all out for. My tour leader and others I’ve met were super chill and awesome.

our crew were awesome, and our tour leader was especially good…great at giving tours in each city and good fun on a night out. the only problems I experienced were towards the end of the tour when everyone is feeling worn out and short tempered…and our tour leader had decided to quit smoking with our driver which made her a bit grumpy. aside from that they were all great and loved their jobs