This may be a dumb question

… but I’m a new traveller and paranoid about a lot![br]Do I need to get any immunizations/shots/injections before heading off overseas?![br]

Depends where you are going. If it’s just UK/Europe then not really. But if you’re going anywhere exotic or third world then you might need some vaccinations like for hepititis for instance. Best to speak to your Doctor for advice.

If you go to a website like http://www.traveldoctor.com.au/ it gives you a good indication of what you need to get. The fact sheets are pretty good :slight_smile:

Awes, thanks guys :)[br][br]Whats meds you recommend taking? Do they have to be declared at airports? (Sorry, I really am an internation travel virgin and rather nervous :P)

No, meds don’t need to be declared, unless they search your luggage and then you need to make sure you have your prescription if it’s prescription meds. Umm i’m not sure about other meds to bring, i’m going to make sure i bring vitamins and cold/flu medicine cos i’ve heard it’s really easy to get sick, and panadol as well but maybe someone that’s already been on tour can give you more specific advice. I’d be interested to know the answer too, nothing worse than feeling horrible when you’re on holidays. [br][br]I did get really bad hayfever when i was in France a couple of years ago, and it was really easy to get medication for that (even in the countryside), there’s pharmacies all over the place and they are really easy to find. Not sure about other countries though.

[quote]Whats meds you recommend taking? Do they have to be declared at airports? [/quote][br][br]I plan on taking any sort of medication from home simply because you can discuss it with your doctor, you know the brand/reputation and you won’t have to waste time and money searching for anything in a foreign pharmacy. If you have medication that requires a prescription i would suggest putting both the medication AND prescription in your carry-on.[br][br]Other meds to bring… I’m actually making up my own (small) first aid kit with indigestion tablets (travel size gaviscon) and vitamins, band-aids, tinea cream (hostel showers and all-day walking, need i say more! :)), panadol, cold/flu tablets and some various other stuff. All depends on what you think you need personally. It does end up being much cheaper than buying a ready made kit tho.[br][br]Hope that helps ;D[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

The chemists often have a list of thhings to take.[br]i found that quite helpful as I went in yesterday and got mine.[br]Expect it not to be cheap hehehe I couldnt believe how quickly it added up :)[br]Hope that helps u

are you going to take the medical kit in your carry on or check it in?

[quote]are you going to take the medical kit in your carry on or check it in?[/quote][br][br]It’s only going to be quite small and everything (ie. medications) will still be in their original packaging (this is a MUST!) so i’ll have it with me in my carry on. I figured it’s easier to empty my bag and show the contents than to have tablets in my suitcase and have them come up on an x-ray machine and be bag seacrhed.[br][br]However some items like little manicure scissors (so many uses!) i will have in my checked luggage as you can’t take these on the plane.[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

ok great. I just had this mental picture of them opening my stuffed to bursting point suitcase to search my medication and the contents just exploding all over the airport!

[quote]Originally posted by mcfan86[br]
[br][br]Whats meds you recommend taking? [br][br]Hey there,[br]I am going alone for the 1st time as well and not sure if this helps, but i just got all my meds(cold and flu, panadol exct.) and they said that as long as they are labled with your name from the chemist you will be fine! [br]Have fun [br]Kristie-Lee!!![br][br][br]KB

Also, if you do have any prescription medication you just need to make sure you have an official doctors letter (on letterhead) with a list of each item, what it’s for and also your name (as it appears on your passport). My Mum had to do this when she went overseas and the airline told her that’s what she needed. They did check the letter and her meds and made sure it corresponded and then everything was fine.[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands