Swiss Alps

I am going on the European Getaway tour in a couple of weeks, and I am interested in doing the Jungfrau Excursion in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. I know that Switzerland uses the Swiss Franc for currency, but the EuroClub Optional guide gives the price amount for this excursion in Euros (http://www.topdeck.travel/euroclub-optionals-2011-reference-guide-only.pdf). I also noticed that you can’t pay for these excursions using credit cards, so I am working on getting currency before I head to Europe. Should I get Swiss Francs or Euros for this particular excursion?

I believe it is the Swiss currency. They still use their own currency and do not accept the Euro!

Hi Kari,

I’m from Switzerland. Like Brianna said, we still use our own currency, which is the Swiss Franc. But some stores in Switzerland also accept Euros. If a store accepts Euros you will always get the change in Swiss Francs. So it’s better if you have some Swiss Francs with you, if you stay in Switzerland for a day or two. And as you probably know Switzerland is a very expensive country.

Hi guys,

Most places will except Euros in the Swiss Alps but if you need Francs your trip leader can advise you on where to get it. Regarding the optionals in Switzerland you can pay for these in Euros or Francs.

Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) are available all over Europe and are the safest and easiest way to have access to cash. Travellers cheques are also accepted in Europe and are an alternative to using ATMs.

Most well known credit cards are accepted in Europe. We recommend that you bring yours along in case you see something special, which you haven’t budgeted for. Unfortunately, credit cards CANNOT be used for optional excursions.

We recommend that you change approximately €100 in cash before departure and approximately €30 into Swiss Francs (if your trip goes through Switzerland). This will cover you for spending money until you have the chance to change more or find an ATM.

Hope this info helps!

Cheers,

Topdeck Team

I think I will take Euros for the JungFrau excursion so hope you def can use them for that optional.