Southern Explorer 9th July 2018

Hi my name is Naomi.

I’m travelling from Melbourne solo next year to do the Southern Explorer tour to New Zealand.

Can anyone who has previously done this tour give me any tips on what to take with me?

Also if there are any other solo travelers around Australia let me know if your doing the tour?

Hey Naomi,

I’m considering doing this trip around the same time too, and I’m from Melbourne! Have you booked flights at all? :slight_smile:

Maddie

Hi Maddie,

I haven’t purchased my tickets yet however I might be leaving 2 days prior the trip starting. I had a look at flights from quantas and jet star and the prices aren’t bad at all. :blush:

Naomi

Hi guys I’m doing this one in April so I’ll let u know once I’ve done it! :+1:t2:

Thank you so much. That would be great if you could let us know how the trip is and the dos and fonts. :blush:

Yeah!! that would be awesome Cass!

Naomi ive also looked at flights there are some super cheap ones if you only take hand luggage :smile:

I love a nice cheap flight :stuck_out_tongue: I wanna see snowww!!

I’m exactly the same as you Maddie I love a cheap flight but don’t mind having luggage with me at all.
I really can’t wait and I wanna see snow myself :blush:

Hey Naomi and Maddie :blush:

I’m from South Africa (taking a gap year in Australia) and also a solo traveler.

I’m definitely going on the trip the 9th of July 2018 and all ready know one other giy that is going. I’d love to meet you :call_me_hand:t3:

Hi girls! Just got back from my trip - you will absolutely bloody love it! It was honestly the best week EVER!!!

Let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

Hey Cass,

Thank you so much for getting back to us. Can I ask what added extras did you do and how much cash should we take on the trip?

So in Queenstown i did the Skydive, the Canyon Swing and the Shotover Jetboat. I spent $3k for the week including food, optional activities and drinking. (we went out every night). But i wasn’t budgeting or anything like that so you can definitely do it for much less. Pack WARM clothes! it was freezing, and you’re going in winter! You need walking/active wear a fair bit so pack for that! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much. I’m taking a bit of money with me just in case lol I’m a bit worried as I’m going 2 days before my trip starts. Did anyone do the Heli ice walk at all when you went? So you went out every night where to just local pubs? I really can’t wait. What was your favourite?

Yep I did the Heli hike! It was amazing! Yep the first night you are at a hostel but it has a bar, but the next 4 nights are in Queenstown and the nightlife is :ok_hand:t3::ok_hand:t3:. The tour guides tell you the best places to go to and you get a band which gets you drink specials and stuff. Amazing places to eat there as well. The walk from the pubs and stuff are uphill to the accom so remember that and wear flats! Lol and you have to go up the gondola and do the luging! It’s soooo much fun!

Omg I can’t wait for July now it’s going to be amazing. What day did you do the Heli hike? That sounds so good. I’ll rug up on the nights out in winter I can’t wait. Thank you so much for getting back about the trip. So warm clothes, lots of cash and a fun time a head. I’m going for my birthday so sounds like I picked a good trip.:blush:

Yes you did, hopefully you get Taimie and Scotty as your guides! They were amazing!

Heli hike was on the 2nd day. First day is a lot of driving. In Queenstown pick 4 optionals that you want to do coz that is what they recommend.

Yep! You will have a ball!

I wish you had of been on the trip in July. But thank you so much for all your help it’s been great. Youre the best.

I’m def going back to do the north island at some stage! Such an amazing place! :grinning: no probs, I felt a bit unorganised and in the dark about the trip so happy to help others! :+1:t2: