Soft suitcases vs hardside suitcases

I have been looking at the forums and the general Topdeck FAQs and am having trouble deciding what suitcase type to use.

I understand that “the maximum weight of your main bag must not exceed 44lbs/20kgs. Size for all bags must not exceed 70cm x 45cm x 25cm.” I also note that not all suitcases obviously fit within those requirements and found entries stating that as long as the bag does not exceed 44lbs/20kgs thats ok.

However I have found some forum listings first saying it’s okay to bring a hardside suitcase and others that say you must only bring a soft suitcase. I was hoping you could clear this up before I invest my money on a Samsonite suitcase. I was tossing up between the Ultralite/Duralite or the American Tourister/Skywheeler.

Thanks!

GRAND EUROPEAN 6th SEPTEMBER TO 3RD OCTOBER 2011

Hi Ange,

There are quite a few threads on the forum regarding luggage - this one may help you out:
http://forum.topdeck.travel/tours/22167/luggage#reply-6

Each person is allowed 1 item of standard size luggage - this can be a suitcase or backpack, it’s up to you.

You can also bring a day pack and sleeping bag if on a EuroClub trip that does flotilla sailing or on a EuroCamping trip.

The maximum weight of your main bag must not exceed 44lbs/20kgs. Size for all bags must not exceed 70cm x 45cm x 25cm. Bags generally within these dimensions are ok (2-3cms out will be fine) - just be sure it doesn’t exceed 20 kilos.

Hope this info helps,

Topdeck Team

Thanks, the main thing I wasn’t sure about was whether I could bring a hardshell suitcase or a soft suitcase. Could you please clarify.

You may bring a hard shell suitcase with you on your trip, as long as it is within our specified weight and luggage dimensions. We only suggest that you don’t use hard-type suitcases as these can get damaged under the coach quite easily, however the option is yours.

Cheers,
Topdeck Team