Sleeping Bag...

I am going on the Grand European at the end of May and have a suitcase, but have only now realised I need to take a sleeping bag…

Are you meant to fit your sleeping bag into your suitcase? Or can it be an extra thing on your side/part of your “day pack” that you could carry on the bus with you (and maybe use as a pillow on the bus?).

I am worried as the sleeping bag I will take is light but would take up so much room in my small suitcase - space which I need to pack with clothes and towels/shoes/etc etc for over a month of travels… (28 day tour plus some time in London).

Is there any leniencey with this? Or do I have to fit EVERYTHING in my suitcase including a sleeping bag?

this is copied from another topic, posted by topdeck admin…

Just to let you know…each person is allowed 1 item of standard size luggage plus a day pack (and sleeping bag if on EuroClub or EuroCamping trip). The maximum weight of your main bag must not exceed 44lbs/20kgs. Size for all bags must not exceed 70cm x 45cm x 25cm. Due to strict weight regulations for coaches in Europe, passengers whose luggage exceeds 44lbs/20kgs will be asked to off load the excess on the departure morning.

So you will be fine carrying your sleeping bag separately :slight_smile:

Hi katfox,

I’m also going on a Euroclub trip this summer. While we are allowed to have a sleeping bag as an extra piece of luggage on the bus, one thing to consider is that you’ll have to get it on the plane. Whether it’s carry on or checked, it takes up one of your free bag spots and/or costs you extra. I’m planning on buying a roman palm sleeping bag. It folds down pretty small (the size of a softball or large grapefruit) and can fit in your suitcase without taking up a ridiculous amount of space. Hope this helps.

Mychal

Hi all,

Updated info! I went to a Topdeck presentation. When I asked about sleeping bags, they said you have to have at least a sleepsheet for hygenic reasons but that a sleeping bag wouldn’t be necessary. My travel agent said when she went on her trip in Oct that she hardly used even her sleepsheet because it was so warm and most places had bedding (at least sheets).
She suggested making a sleep sheet. here are some instructions:

http://www.guideforeurope.com/sleepsheet.html

Really easy and much more compact for travelling (and plane rides).

Mychal