Saving Time - Buying Site Tickets Before Leaving

Me again (surprise surprise) ::)[br][br]A couple of months back I noticed that a couple of people had pre purchased their tickets for the Vatican and the Louvre. I have been thinking about this for a little while, and decided to check it out. I realised that by ‘buying a tour’ for the Vatican you can save 2-3 hours of waititng in line!! thats a whole lot more time to see Rome!! I am now thinking about doing this, but I am wondering how that works in with the tour… My itineray states:[br][quote]A chance to visit the Vatican this morning where we will have the opportunity to see some of the finest works of[br]art in the world - the paintings in the Sistine Chapel. In the afternoon there is free time to visit Rome?s ancient[br]monuments or go shopping in this fashionable city famous for its designer shops.[/quote][br][br]does this mean that they drive you out to the Vatican or is it pretty much a day on your own?? I really dont want to buy some tickets and realise that my times are wrong or something :-[[br][br]Also with the louvre i have found a way to skip the lines :)[br][quote]To avoid the massive line through the main outdoor entrance at the Louvre, try going through The Louvre Carrousel (a small underground mall). Window shop through the mall, and enter the Louvre opposite the inverted pyramid (the one you seen on the Da Vinci Code). [br][br]The street entrance is off Rue de Rivoli on the street side of the Louvre building. Look for signs for the Louvre Carrousel shops.[br][br]From inside the metro, take the m?tro to the Palais Royal Mus?e’ du Louvre stop (line 1) and follow the signs to the Louvre Carrousel/Mus?e (this is a winding walk through the station - just follow the signs).[/quote][br][br]Oh and for anyone interested, I also came across the Roma Pass - with teh pass u get 2 ‘free’ sites, and discounted rates on other sites - this also means u can skip the lines on the first 2 sites too :slight_smile: And you also get the public transport ‘free’ with the pass :slight_smile: http://www.romapass.it/english/index.html[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Also, if you prepurchased tickets where did you get them?[br][br]And if you went on a tour, do u think its worth prepurchasing?[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Good question, I get a whole free day in Rome and Paris and dont want to miss out on anything! I also want to know if it is easy to get around, I suppose the tour leader will give us a good idea of where everything is but I would hate to miss out on something because I cant find it or have to line up for hours and hours!!![br]Jo

hey Leeana[br][br]I honestly don’t think it’s necessary to pre purchase any of the tickets. You will be going in sept which isn’t exactly peak season so you should be fine anyway.[br]I didn’t do the tour with the same company, but in paris they dropped us off near the arc de triomphe (bad spelling? haha) and then we made our own way down to the louvre. It’s not a long walk to it from there.[br]I went late may and only had to wait in line for about 10min for entry into it.[br]You don’t need to do a “tour”. I think they had audio guides as well which you can do your own self tour sort of thing. It was easy enough to walk around to different things.[br]We caught the metro and a bus for the vatican with our tour leader.[br]It was June for the vatican and that was where we encounted probably the longest wait 30-45min. But, even then the line moved pretty quickly considering it was down and around the block.[br]I’m pretty sure that your tour leader/guide will give you directions and possibly a map as well. Depending on your schedule, the bus driver has to have a day off here and there (because they’re only allowed to drive a certain amount of hours)so it’s possible you will have to use public transport as well. But, they should point you in the right direction. It is their job after all :)[br][br]You have got to be the most prepared person I know :stuck_out_tongue: hahaha

hahaha i think i am like jojords! i just dont want to miss anything… especially if its something that i could have easily organised if i had known about it :)[br][br]and seriously, i know people who have waited 2-3 hours in line at the vatican![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I guess it’s a pot luck chance then that you take.[br][br]I’m not sure I would’ve had the paitence to stand in line that long though lol

Last time I went to the Vatican it was during peak season i.e. mid July. We didnt do a tour we just guided ourselves around and were fine! We also didnt have to wait in line- Maybe 15 mins or so at most…If you are a bit unsure and definitly want to beat any crowds it definitely helps to go first thing in the morning. I think it does really come down to luck on how long you are left to wait though as friends of mine have experienced a longer wait.[br][br]The one thing I would urge everyone to do is to climb to the top of the Vatican. You see the interior from the top of the dome and realise how huge it really is…Plus when you get outside onto what I guess you would call part of the roof the view of Rome is absolutely amazing!! [br][br]I have seen all the sights of Rome as I have family there and this is the one thing I have as a must do again when I am back there in August! Its uncomparable to anthing else.[br][br]

Hey Leeana,[br]I was in Rome in March, and even though that is definately not peak season, the line for the Vatican was pretty big - I’d guess at least a 30min+ wait (and this is on a day when it was raining!!). But one of our optionals was a Vatican Tour that went for 3 hours. It was in the morning, and then the rest of the day was free. I didn’t do it, but those who did, said it was pretty good. If it’s one of your optionals (I’m pretty sure it would be), I’d just do that, then once its finished, if you want to stay longer you can just keep hanging out. [br]When you stay in Rome, you have to catch the bus into town to see all the sites. The Topdeck bus is not allowed to drive into the middle of Rome (insurance reasons apparently).[br]There was no line when I went to visit the Louvre. We went later in the day, and simply bought out tix and walked straight in. Again, remebering March is not peak time.[br]Hope this helps!

Hey Everyone[br][br]I went to the Vatican in June 2006 and waited more than 2 hours in 40+ degree heat, between about 10:30 and 1pm - and I was on a tour! [br]I think its changed slightly since then so that tours can go early in the morning and individuals from 10:30. I went the day before a Catholic Public Holiday during which the Vatican was closed, so everyone that would have gone the day after went on the same day as me- it was sooooo hectic but absolutely amazing.[br][br]This year my Topdeck tour will arrive in Rome between 2-3 on Sat avo and have all day Sunday in Rome, Sunday being when we are supposed to go to the Vatican (according to the itinerary). However the Vatican museums are closed on Sundays (except the last Sunday of the month (which it is not)). So I have decided to leave Florence early Sat morning and catch the train to Rome and explore by myself and meet up with the tour later.[br][br]I have pre purchased tickets to the excavations that are beneath the Vatican where the remains of St. Peter are believed to have been found. The tour of the excavation sounds amazing, its only 10 Euro but its necessary to book tickets months in advance. I purchased mine in Jan for a July tour.[br][br]Check which day of the week your tour is in Rome (if its a Sunday you may not get to see the Vatican Museums). On Wednesdays and Sundays if the Pope is in residence he does a blessing in several languages which is pretty special, there are heaps of pilgrims from around the world and its a different experience [br]Also check the Vatican website to see whether you will be visitng during any Holy days and whether the Vatican will be open.[br][br]Leeana, I think its up to you whether to book a tour- I did and it did not help with avoiding the line but things may have improved since then but I would not want to waste 3 hours in line if I only had two or so days in Rome. The tour was really informative though. Good Luck with whatever you decide![br][br]Odette[br][br]Mega European June 22nd

I’m actually now thinking about skipping the vatican when im on tour. I forgot (dunno how lol) that i am actually flying out of rome and will be there with a friend at the very end of my trip, so will probably go then :)[br][br]will see what she has to say seeing as shes a local - maybe she’s got some tips lol[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I did the Discover Europe trip last year in peak season. [br]A few tips/info which I hope will help:[br][br]1. We took the train into town early morning with our tour leader & did a short walking tour to St Peter’s Basilica and also passed the Vatican along the way…our guide spoke for a while at the Basilica but I was on edge wanting to make sure I didn’t miss out on the Vatican. If I was to go next time I would skip the Basilica and go straight to line-up at the Vatican instead of doing the Basilica 1st. The line at the Vatican was huge whether we queued then and there or waited until we went to the Basilica. I can’t remember how long we waited but it was at least 45 mins min. ***Remember the Vatican closes EARLY…something like 1.45pm and they have a cut-off entry time. Be sure to line up early either way to guarantee you enter![br][br]2. I didn’t pre-purchase any tickets and the Vatican would have to be the longest waiting time out of the whole trip. The trouble with pre-purchased tickets is you may decide to do something else and may run out of time as there are so many things to do…therefore it’s important if you do pre-purchase tickets make sure they do not go to waste and don’t pre-purchase too many tickets for the short amount of time you are staying in each city etc. [br][br]3. The Louvre took about 5-10mins to enter and it was peak season (remember the other entrance that not many people know about). No need to worry too much…PLUS most people on our trip were too pre-occupied with going up the Eiffel Tower and spent almost 4 hrs or so lining up with weather that didn’t allow for the spectacular views. [br][br]4. In Paris we got dropped off via the bus at Notre Damn. Drop off locations may vary depending on what the people on your tour would prefer. [br][br]Hope this info helps. [br]