Safe drinking water...?

Okay, I might be delirious from night duty… But I have a silly question about safe drinking water in Europe…

When I was o/s a few years ago my dad insisted on buying us bottle after bottle of water - so I never drank any of the ‘local’ water whilst traveling… As I am paying for everything I’m just trying to suss out the necessity of spending extra cash on H2O… :stuck_out_tongue:

Are there any places/countries that the water isn’t safe (or tolerable) to drink/use…? Or any suggestions to get around it (boiling or using those water tablets)…

I’ll be travelling to most of Western Europe (germany, Czech republic, Austria, France, Netherlands, Croatia, Hungary etc), UK, USA & Canada…

Thanks heaps :slight_smile:

You’ll be fine in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Austria. With anywhere else, you’re probably best buying bottled water. Be careful though - carbonated water is the norm in Europe, so make sure that you want fizzy or still before you buy.

Cheers

Thanks heaps Anastasia :slight_smile:

Hi there,

Nearly everywhere in Europe the water is fine to drink. If there are any places where it isn’t your Trip Leader will let you know & tell you where you can pick up some bottled water.

Topdeck Team

[quote=38612]You’ll be fine in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Austria. With anywhere else, you’re probably best buying bottled water. Be careful though - carbonated water is the norm in Europe, so make sure that you want fizzy or still before you buy.

Cheers[/quote]

Ain’t that the truth… find a brand of water you know is actually water and stick with it… half the time you can’t tell from the package if it’s carbonated or not…

Its also over priced like here in Oz, drink tap water where you can and if you must have bottled try pick it up from a supermarket.

Youll find Western Europe is safe to drink tap water. I filled my drink bottles from the fountains all the time and never had a problem in 6 months. I would be cautious in Eastern Europe. I actually found the water (especially in Germany and Spain) to be amazing fresh and clean, even from fountains (yes, you can fill botlles at the fountains! even the locals do it) Ive had worse water from Sydney. Honestly, use your smarts about it, as buying at can be pricey, I dont think i bought a single bottle while I was over.
Have fun !

While traveling diarrhea is a common side effect of drinking polluted water and it occurs every where. You have to be very careful in drinking water. Mostly United States, Canada, Europe, Australia are the safest place in drinking water. Drinking boiled tea, coffee is good for drinking.
I do not like fruit juices made locally as it contains contaminated water. Using bottle water of a branded company is good but check expiration date.

Has anyone thought about travelling with a water bottel with a filter? I was contemplating taking over one of the bobble bottles with the charcoal filter. Thoughts?

Many types of water
http://www.europeanhydrationinstitute.org
may be available for drinking: tap water, artesian water, bottled water, mineral water, purified water, spring water. All waters used for drinking are treated to meet legal and quality standards. In most European countries, tap water is palatable and perfectly safe, but this is not true in all parts of the world. Water has many advantages, including availability, cost and the absence of calories, but for many it loses out on taste.

Ya…bottled water is always safe to drink than other water sources. Particularly when you are travelling. But make sure you choose a reliable brand.

Samantha Springs