ROME - hostel hellllllp!

Hey,[br][br]My tour the Southern nomad ends in rome and i need to fly back to london the day after it finishes. Where should i stay cheaply that will make getting to the airport easy??[br][br]Im strssing cause i will be aloneeee.[br][br]Cheers,[br][br]Corey :slight_smile:

I think Topdeck tours in Rome start/finish at Camping Roma (tents and rooms). It’s pretty cheap I think and they offer a shuttle to and from the airport at various times during the day for 12 euro or something. Not too sure of all the details, but their website is http://www.ecvacanze.it/en/elite_family/rome/camping-village-roma

actually, i would do your research on how easy it is to get to the airport from there, and at what time you need to leave.[br][br]When I was in Rome on the tour i took the day off and went to Pompeii. We had to get a bus to the train station, then change to a different train. You might only need to do this, but just have a look into it. The campsite is decent, but it isnt central.[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hi Leeana, what trip did you do with Topdeck? I’m doing one in July starting in Rome… I am considering going to Pompeii the day before the tour starts and I saw that Camping Roma organises a trip there for the day. I guess you didn’t go with this option as you caught the train their yourself? I’ll be by myself so thought it would be easier going with something organised, however now I’m not too sure!

Yeah I was on the Spirit of Europe, but we hit rome about half way into the tour.[br][br]I just did it all my self. I did have another tourmate tag along, when she found out I was going she asked to come too :slight_smile: It was really fun/interesting trying to navigate trains and such all in Italian!![br][br]We got a bus from Camp Roma to the train station (cant remember what it was called but ur guide should be able to tell u which one), then jumped onto a train to the main station, then onto another train to Naples, and finally the Circumsuviana train to Pompeii (its important that you get this one to Pompeii as it gets there much quicker!) While it was harder than going on an organised tour, I would do it the same again, because I have heard stories where you leave later in the day, visit some tourist trap, only spend an hour or 2 at Pompeii and then leave. We actually spent about 4.5 hours at pompeii and we could have used the whole day. I would reccommend planning out your trip to pompeii if you can :slight_smile: Maybe stay overnight in Naples or soemthing??[br][br]I hope you get to go!! it was so amazing to see!![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hi again Leeana! Hope you don?t mind answering more of my questions… I am flying into Rome 2 days before my tour and I was planning on paying Camping Roma the 11 euros to pick me up from the airport in their shuttle service and take me back to the campsite! I thought this would be easiest as I?m not familiar with Rome at all and will have my big pack and everything else with me! However now looking at your post, is it just as easy and cheaper to try and make my own way there on public transport??

Hey Jessica1[br][br]are u starting your tour in Rome on July 1st??? [br]Cheers[br]Shelley

No I’m not, sorry! I’m doing the Adriatic Voyager, starting on July 10th!

Hi Jessica[br][br]Sorry I didnt reply sooner - I just seen your post[br][br]tbh I wouldnt know if it was cheaper as when we were on tour our tour manager gave us some transport cards to use. I don’t think they would have been 11 euros though…[br][br]but if i were you, i would have a look at the Roma Pass (just google it) if you use it for the colesseum and the capitol hill/roman forum (the last 2 are included in 1 ticket price) you have already paid off your pass. Basically, the Roma Pass gives you free entry into 2 sites (the above 2 are the most common and some of the most expensive) and you also get to skip all of the lines (trust me! that in itself is worth it!!) AND you get all of your public transport covered. I used this when I went back to rome at the end of my trip, it was definately worth it!! You should be able to buy one from the airport.[br][br]EDIT: here is the link http://www.romapass.it/?l=en[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Thanks Leeana! My tour starts at 4pm or something and we go to the Coloseum, Spanish Steps, etc that afternoon… Do you recommend getting the Roma Pass before that? [br]Also we have to pay for all activities and sights etc, don’t we (i.e. the Coloseum)? Is it best to organise this beforehand and assume that others will as well? Not sure how it all works… Thanks :)[br]

yes u do need to pay for all of your activities while on tour, so i would suggest getting that pass beforehand… as i would suggest to everyone else… also because u can skip the lines, it means that you may get separated from the other people in your tour, but you will be able to see them once they are inside too.[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

oh, and i also went to ricksteves.com and got stacks of useful information from there for free - including free ausio tours of the colusseum, the forum and other places… maybe check those out as well - that way u dont need a guide or hire an audio guide :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Thanks for all your help!! I?m not sure whether I?ll get the Roma Pass now as the tour is only in Rome for 1 night… I might just buy a pass for the Colosseum, which you can buy online and print off your ticket, so this still saves lining up and everything! Will Topdeck send any information out about places we visit on the tour that you should pre-book for (such as the Colosseum and maybe Vatican City) or is it up to us to work that out?

i didnt go to the vatican with the tour, but the guides organised it all for the others who went :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak