Regarding luggage -What is a External Framed Pack?

Hi[br]This maybe a silly question but in regards to luggage it states that [br]Soft bags, suitcases or frameless backpacks are best, plus a small day pack or carry bag. NO EXTERNAL FRAMED PACKS please, as they damage other bags on the coach. [br][br]I was just curious what an external framed pack was? [br][br]Also how stict are they with luggage size, my suitcase is 75cm - should I go out and buy a new one seeing as they say no bigger then 70cm?[br] [br]Thanks[br][br]London[br]European Emperor 20th August - 30th August 2009[br]Greek Islands

hi,[br][br]I’m pretty sure that an external framed bag are those that are more a solid suitcase. I’m thinking ones with the roller wheels and pully handles rather than a soft backpack style.[br]I’m sorry i cant answer the question regarding their strickness. best of luck.[br][br]kasey

Hi,[br][br]Thanks for your response. Oh so that means like a normal type suitcase is not allowed i.e the rectangle ones with the wheels on the bottom and handle that pulls up on the top? Standard type suitcase[br][br]Oh dear I may have to purchase a new bag then[br][br]Can anyone else shed some light on this?[br][br]Cheers[br][br]London[br]European Emperor 20th August - 30th August 2009[br]Greek Islands

I could be wrong but I think they mean backpacks with frames, the fancy ones.[br]I think you should be right with the size of your suitcase, my friend went on a tour and she said that the weight restriction was more important. If I’m wrong I’m stuffed too!

I could be wrong but I think they mean backpacks with frames, the fancy ones.[br]I think you should be right with the size of your suitcase, my friend went on a tour and she said that the weight restriction was more important. If I’m wrong I’m stuffed too!

I believe Kate is right and they refer to backpacks only… There are internal frame backpacks and external frame backpacks, so if thats what your looking to get just grab one with an internal frame…

Hi there![br][br]I’ve also been asking this question, have even emailed TopDeck but received no response.[br][br]From what I understand, suitcases with wheels and pull-out handles are fine. (I’m bringing one of these, as I don’t have a backpack and don’t have the money to buy one) [br][br]What they don’t want are these (the link shows a picture of an external framed backpack)[br][br]http://www.moabsports.com/web-pid-21040021-Kelty-Yukon-3000-Cubic-Inch-External-Frame-Backpack-Patriot-BlueCharcoal-item.htm[br][br][br][br]If I’m wrong someone please correct me :)[br][br]< European Pioneer - June 10 - July 16 2009 >

Hello,[br][br]Thankyou all for your replies. Yes that makes sense to me now - those external frame backpacks have the metal bits that stick outside that you can attach sleeping bags etc to. So a normal suitcase would be fine as the wiring is internal[br][br]Thanks[br][br]London[br]European Emperor 20th August - 30th August 2009[br]Greek Islands

[quote]Originally posted by HoneyBee[br]
Hi there![br][br]I’ve also been asking this question, have even emailed TopDeck but received no response.[br][br]From what I understand, suitcases with wheels and pull-out handles are fine. (I’m bringing one of these, as I don’t have a backpack and don’t have the money to buy one) [br][br]What they don’t want are these (the link shows a picture of an external framed backpack)[br][br]http://www.moabsports.com/web-pid-21040021-Kelty-Yukon-3000-Cubic-Inch-External-Frame-Backpack-Patriot-BlueCharcoal-item.htm[br][br][br][br]If I’m wrong someone please correct me :)[br][br]< European Pioneer - June 10 - July 16 2009 >[br][/quote][br][br]That is the right sort of example for an external-frame backpack. They tend to be pretty oldschool actually, I’m surprised anyone still makes them. It’s a bit of a task loading the bus in the morning of each drive day, sorta like tetris! So you could imagine that any pack that might have the tendancy to damage another pack/suitcase isn’t going to be the best sort of thing.[br][br][br]_____________________[br][br]Ya can’t buy cultcha, but 12 Turkish Lira can get you fun times!

So just to clarify, these bags with an outer plastic shell/frame would be acceptable ???

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelers-club-luggage/madison-20-hardside-expandable-carry-on-spinner/318956?productid=10454896