Red Star Special - Russia & Scandinavia

Hi All,[br][br]I am just wondering about the tour of Scandinavia and Russia. If you have been on this tour, how did you find it?[br][br]Did you think Russia was safe to travel through - were there any problems? I guess my concern is that I would not want to go off on my own in Russia for the day - so are there guided tours that can be taken as optionals, as opposed to walking around the cities on my own??[br][br]Also, how did you find Scandinavia - was it a fun tour? I am trying to work out whether I should go on the tour that goes through Scandinavia in more depth, or just do the one that visits Denmark and Sweeden…[br][br]Any comments would be appreciated :slight_smile: [br][br]

Hi[br]I haven’t been to Russia yet, but am heading there in a couple of weeks! I am extremely excited but have been beset by the same kind of worries that you have mentioned. I have always travelled by myself and made plenty of friends on my travels to hang out with. I am sure you will be the same. As for safety, i think that it is all about being conscious of where you are and what you are doing. Tourists make themselves targets by talking loudly and holding big maps. Just try and be subtle when in large squares etc and you should be great.[br]My friend did a trip around Russia and she said it was absolutely fantastic. She is a tiny little girl and she was perfectly safe and comfortable on the tour… with the exception of the fairly ordinary food in Russia.[br]Good luck.

Hi Ange,[br][br]I’ve booked on the Red Star for end of August to go through Northern Europe and Russia. I’m travelling alone, a bit nervous about Russia, but i’m hoping that I’ll meet some fantastic people to explore the sites with![br][br]Let me know if you’re thinking of heading on this one![br][br]Barb:-[[br][quote]Originally posted by Ang3082[br]
Hi All,[br][br]I am just wondering about the tour of Scandinavia and Russia. If you have been on this tour, how did you find it?[br][br]Did you think Russia was safe to travel through - were there any problems? I guess my concern is that I would not want to go off on my own in Russia for the day - so are there guided tours that can be taken as optionals, as opposed to walking around the cities on my own??[br][br]Also, how did you find Scandinavia - was it a fun tour? I am trying to work out whether I should go on the tour that goes through Scandinavia in more depth, or just do the one that visits Denmark and Sweeden…[br][br]Any comments would be appreciated :slight_smile: [br][br][br][/quote][br][br]Barb (Queensland)

Hi Ang - I’m keen on doing the Russia/Scandi trip too, although in 2007. When are you thinking of going on your trip? I would be travelling alone too, as I have for most of my vacations![br][br]Barb & Kelstar - once you’ve been on your trips, would you please post some info about them and let us know how they were?

Yes please! If anyone can submit a travel-log for their trip on Scandinavia/Russia I would love to hear their stories, and how they found it. I haven’t been able to find any reviews of Topdeck tours, only Contiki - but I’m leaning towards topdeck’s Russia/Scandi 22 day tour next august.[br][br]~ Bronwyn[br]www.myspace.com/miraclepie

Hi I’ve just come back from the Vodka and Caviar tour which is basically the Russian part of the Russia-Scandi/Russian Revelations tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. [br][br]Don’t worry about being on your own and having to spend a lonely day anywhere, you’ll meet loads of people on your trip and can always tag along with them! I certainly did; when I set off I was travelling alone, by the time I left I felt like I’d known everyone for years, I was travelling with 36 friends![br][br]So yeah, no need at all to be worried about Russia; yes there’s corruption and crime but as long as you’re sensible it’s as safe as any other country in Europe. Just don’t drink alcohol in Red Square (yes there’s a story there…)![br][br]Good luck (I’m jealous!)