Red Star Special 25 July 2010

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has booked (or is thinking about) this tour, or any of the segments of it.

They are:
Red Star Special
Russia Scandi
Russian Revelations
Scenic Scandi
Berlin to Oslo
Northern Exposure
Vodka & Caviar

but not sure what dates they’ll leave?

Would also love to hear from anyone who has done this trip before?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ciao

Hello Scandi gal

Yes, I am going on the Russian Revelations trip on the 19th of June. Very excited about this trip, I have always wanted to go to Russia.

Which trip are you taking?

Polonium

Hi there,

I did the Scenic Scandi trip last year. I’ve replied to a similar topic elsewhere, so for simplicity I’ll copy/paste my post here for you, hope this helps! Feel free to ask any other questions though :slight_smile:

[hr]

I did the Scenic Scandi trip (Starting in Oslo, finishing in Tallinn) in July last year, and had an awesome time! I think you’ve made a good choice. I actually wanted to start off in Berlin and go to Tallinn, but that leg of the trip was fully booked.

Just a few things to be aware of:

-Norway is very expensive, so make sure you take enough money with you. As most of the meals are provided, it’s really just down to snacks & maybe the odd meal here and there, add ons (eg the Viking Museum in Oslo, bobsleigh ride etc) and any souvenirs, alcohol etc.
As an example, a beer in a pub in Oslo cost me around NZ$17, and a big mac combo was around NZ$25. Most of the people that were already on the trip when I joined had bought alcohol with them from Germany or Sweden as it’s apparently much cheaper there, so if you fancy having a few drinks that’s probably not a bad idea. I don’t mean to scare you, but I’d much rather you knew in advance!

-I’d recommend doing all of the optional extras, such as the bobsleigh ride at Lillehammer (LOTS of fun!), Polar Zoo, and the Nordkapp excursion to see the midnight sun. I guess they depend on your own interests though. As far as I’m aware, no one regretted doing the optional extras, but some of those who didn’t do them, did!

-Don’t forget to take togs for the ‘polar plunge’ - everyone on my trip did it, and it certainly wakes you up! It’s good to say that you’ve done it too.

-I can’t remember exactly where it was, but in Tallinn (it was a few minutes walk from the town square, in a roughly uphill direction) we found a great little place that made savoury and sweet pancakes. It was great for lunch, quite reasonable too, but don’t eat too much before the dinner that evening!

As for clothing, it got pretty cold while we were there, so make sure you pack some warm clothes to take!

If anyone is flying into Oslo with Ryanair (and possibly with some other airlines I guess), you will fly into Torp Sandefjord airport, which is NOT in Oslo, but is a one and a half or so hour bus ride away (from memory). There is a shuttle bus which goes at regular intervals, and in my case it was still cheaper to do this than fly directly into Oslo. This takes you to the central bus station, which is a short walk away from a town square, which has a tourist information place next to it, and they can help you find the bus stop (not far away) you need to get to the accomodation for the first night. Most people speak at least basic English so it shouldn’t be a big problem to find your way there.

That is all I can think of for the time being, I hope that helps! If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I kept a travel blog of my trip, but I think it’s probably best to let you discover things for yourselves.

Hope this helps and that you have a great time!

Mark

Hey!

I’m going on the Red Star Special tour starting 25 July as well!

Look forward to meeting you.

Jess

Europe June-November 2010

Thanks for the info Mark, it’s very helpful! Definitely planning to do all the optional extras, particularly the trip to Nordkapp, seeing the midnight sun is on my list of must dos!

And I’m glad to hear from you Jess, was starting to think that I was the only one on this trip! ha ha
Where abouts in Aus are you from? I see from your signature you’re doing 6 months in Europe. Where else are you headed?

Cheers,

Clair

Thanks for all your info Mark.

I just booked on the Berlin to Oslo part of this tour for 8 August. I didn’t realise that the group continue around for so long!!! I’m going to feel like I’m missing out when I leave! I have been to Finland and Estonia though, and didn’t want to repeat those areas.

Does anyone know what Topdeck is like?? I have done contiki before, wondering if they are similar and what age groups are going on this type of tour???

Hi everyone,

My boyfried & I are going on the Red Star Special tour starting on 25th July 2010 too.

We look forward to meeting you all.

Michelle

Hi Guys,

I am doing the Russian Revilations Tour that joins your trip in Estonia so I thought I would say a quick hello.

It looks like you guys will be starting out tomorrow in Berlin?

Have fun and I will meet you in Tallinn.

Cheers - Ross

Hi there
I am looking at possibly doing the Red Star Special Tour but not until sometime in 2012 a bit of saving to start before I eventually book it

Mike from New Zealand