Power adaptors + int'l mobile phone roaming

Hi everyone[br][br]What’s the situation with power adaptors in the EuroClub hostels? Are there heaps of power outlets in the dorm rooms, or is it wise (or not wise??) to bring a double adaptor? [br][br]Have heard stories about overloading power/ Aus. voltage not being compatible with Europe voltage… what’s the best way to charge/ use, say, camera battery recharger, hair straightner, iphone charger all at once? :slight_smile: Is my GHD going to crash and burn? [br][br]Also, any tips from Australian travellers re: international roaming on your mobile? Is it best to do this, or has anyone used TravelSim? Is Skype a better way to do it? I have an iPhone - does the internet work over there, and is it $$$$$ ?[br][br]Sorry for all the questions, any help much appreciated! :)[br][br]Ta, Nic

hello there. before i start i would like to say i love the name, that show was by far the best!!![br]Any way my partner and i too a double adapter with us, i used it for phone, battery for camera and my G4 straightner. I didnt have any trouble with it and i usually had 2 things going at the same time!! I got international roaming on my phone for the trip, it cost a bit when I got home and paid the bill but it was good, it worked every where we went, i sent pictures messgages home to make everyone jelous. I think if you use internationl roaming or a sim card you should still try and limit how much you ring home, it cost an arm and a leg no matter what you do!! hope this helps![br]Jo

Hello![br][br]I just bought a travelsim and it looks pretty good! its between 77-90c per min in most European countries, free to receive calls, and sms are around the 50c mark to and from the travel sim. (If u go to travelsim.net.au theres a page where u can select the country to call from and the country u want to call and it tells u what rate you’re looking at). Its 35c per minute if your friends/family call u reverse charges.[br][br]Its all prepaid and u can top up using an option on the phone, or on the website using paypal or credit card.[br][br]Plus your friends and family can send u unlimited free sms from the website!

[quote]Also, any tips from Australian travellers re: international roaming on your mobile? Is it best to do this, or has anyone used TravelSim? Is Skype a better way to do it? I have an iPhone - does the internet work over there, and is it $$$$$ ?[/quote][br][br]I’ve decided to use skype or a calling card simply because i don’t want to take my new phone over and have it be pinched etc. You might want to consider that if you’re taking a new iphone.[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

hey - your iPhone has wifi, yeah? I got a new phone that has that too, and am planning on using that for Internet when in cities. Should be faster than wandering around and looking for an internet cafe or waiting in line at the hostels. [br][br]Meredith Fraser[br]Olympic Link Aug 7 - 27

Yep, has wifi. Am a little dubious about taking the phone in case something happens to it, but with internet, in-built currency converter, language translator, GPS etc it seems a good travelling companion :slight_smile: Just trying to get my head around which apps use the internet and which don’t and how to make the whole phone/net thing work :)[br][br]mm, thanks for the tips, cheers

Hey just letting you know with the iphone for it to work overseas you need to get your provider to unlock your network before you go. I think i will be taking mine and i’ve just been asking a lot of questions about taking it overseas. Your right it is the best travel companion and i suggest talk to your provider or apple themselves they seem to know whats best to do when taking the iphone overseas re: wifi and what not.[br][br]Grand European 2nd June 2009[br]After the tour, CRO/SPAIN Woo Hoo!!!