Packing and Clothes

Hi everybody,[br][br]l know this topic has been covered so many times, but l’m going nuts trying to work out how to pack lightly. l’m off to Europe late August and l’m keen to hear from people who have been on tour or who will be going on tour as to how they went with packing. l’m going on the Spirit of Europe tour starting the 1st September and then after that finishes l’ll be studying in London until January 2010.[br][br]Cheers,[br][br]Philippa[br][br]Spirit of Europe 1st September-24th September 2009

I just packed my bag and off to the airport in 15mins. Follow the pre-departure information document as a guideline. I just rolled jeans etc… shirts, folded them small then rolled.[br][br]Don’t pack too many clothes as there will be laundry places n u can buy stuff overseas. It’s not like ur going to the middle of nowhere. By the way, my bag weighs 15kg. :)[br][br]-------------------------------------------------------------------------[br]Spending over 2months in Europe travelling.[br][br]Summer Fun n Sailing July 24th - Aug 18th[br][br]Ibiza, croatia sailing/greek island sailing, possibly checking out Poland, Oktoberfest then home! :frowning:

Was just wondering about other things like shampoo and soap…? Obviously we bring our own? What about a towel? And do people usually bring a little travel pillow for the bus?[br][br]Also, what time does the tour get going every morning? Does everyone meet for breakfast before, etc?? 8am? 10am?? It varies? Was there ever any conflict with shower time between you and your roomie?

Ugh Im having the worst time packign! I thought my bag would be plenty big, but I put everything in it on the weekend, and it now seems just barely big enough! I wasnt planning on bringing a ton of stuff to begin with, so its not like I can just take a bunch of stuff out! [br][br]I borrowed a bigger bag from my dad, but that might be TOO big - I’ll have to see… [br][br]stressin[br][br]Meredith Fraser[br]Olympic Link Aug 7 - 27

Hey Philippa - I’m going on that tour too! Heaps of friends who have done these tours have said the little pillows are a good idea. I was wondering abut the towel thing too though.

Hey all,[br][br]Meredith-l feel your pain! l bought a brand new suitcase and l thought it was MASSIVE but after l did a practise pack, it was pretty much full! It is driving me insane to the point of feeling obsessive-compulsive. [br][br]Beets- l’m doing a EuroClub tour so l’m going to bring along all my toiletries etc. My tour is for 24 days so l’m still tossing up whether or not to bring travel minis and then stock up as needed along the trip or to bring full sized ones of things l use the most. [br][br]l’m bringing along at this stage 2 of those quick drying towels. l got mine from Katmandu. [br][br]From what l’ve been reading lots of people bring a pillow for the bus etc but its up to you. l am a bit of a granny, l always fall asleep in the car (except when l’m driving of course)[br][br]Euge- good idea! l’m not heading off for a month and l’m already stressing…l would HATE to think what state l would be in if l attempted to pack 15 minutes before l had to go! l am most definitely planning on hitting the shops over in Europe but l’m planning on bringing basics like jeans, black boots, black tops, a black wrap dress and a LBD and lots of accessories. [br][br]15 kgs seems like a good number. l think my plan of attack will be that if l somehow accumulate too much stuff, l’ll post a package or tour back home.[br][br]Spirit of Europe 1st September-24th September 2009

It’s so hard knowing what to pack. You wanna have room for all the new stuff you’ll be getting (yes I’m a fellow shopper) but don’t want to miss anything useful/essential. Tricky! Good idea with those towels. Do we really need a sleeping bag if we’re staying at hostels etc and not camping? Are you taking a bag or suitcase?

Hey,[br][br]l’m planning on taking a suitcase. l figure that l could probably squeeze more stuff into one as opposed to a bag and that it would be easier to pack but each to their own. [br][br]l bought a small sleeping bag from Big W (kinda like Pak-N-Save in NZ :p) but am still undecided whether or not l’ll actually bring it.[br][br]Philippa[br]Spirit of Europe 1st September-24th September 2009[br]Studying in London October 2009-January 2010[br]Countries l’ve been to: New Zealand, Hong Kong, America and Eygpt[br]Countries l’ll be going to: England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Aaustria, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, The Netherlands

Think I’ll go suitcase too, it has wheels so hopefully that helps. The sleeping bag has thrown me, it didn’t even occur, whopsee. [br]Philippa are you on Facebook (would be nice to ‘chat’ before we go)?

Hey Kyla,[br][br]Search for me under “Philippa Mary Lee”, but if theres issues adding me just let me know because facebook gets really tempermental with people adding me.[br][br]Cheers,[br][br]Pippa[br][br]Philippa[br]Spirit of Europe 1st September-24th September 2009[br]Studying in London October 2009-January 2010[br]Countries l’ve been to: New Zealand, Hong Kong, America and Eygpt[br]Countries l’ll be going to: England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Aaustria, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, The Netherlands

Weird Philippa, I can’t find you on FB. Can you try me “Kyla Scott”

Mmm, there are quite a few Kyla Scotts…my email address is Philippa.M.Lee@student.uts.edu.au so few free to drop me a line and we can get pysched up about Europe![br][br]Philippa[br]Spirit of Europe 1st September-24th September 2009[br]Studying in London October 2009-January 2010[br]Countries l’ve been to: New Zealand, Hong Kong, America and Eygpt[br]Countries l’ll be going to: England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Aaustria, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, The Netherlands

Hey everyone,[br][br]I’m battling with the same problem, blaming it on the suite case.[br]How strict is Topdeck regarding the 20kg that you are allowed to bring?[br][br]Cheerio[br]Chantelle[br][br]Venetian Trail 17 Sept - 1 Oct

chantelle they are pretty strict on the weight due to the weight restrictions aloud on certain roads. if that helps.[br][br]shannon[br]european getaway sept5th 2009

Chantelle, remember to pack under 20 kilos if you plan on shopping! Pippa & are going to hit the post offices at various spots and send parcels home to stay underweight. Topdeck will ask you to remove stuff if your bag goes over

Heheh, Chantelle, l am having the same problem! My suitcase when its empty feels light, but apparently it weighs 5kg empty! l’m thinking my scales are dodgy, because they have also added several kgs to my weight! (But l suspect they are right…:frowning: ) [br][br]As Kyla said, l’m planning on posting stuff home when my bag approaches the 20kg mark. l’m staying in London for a few months after my trip so l’m bound to accumulate stuff. [br][br][br][br]Philippa[br]http://pippagoesabroad.webs.com[br]Spirit of Europe 1st September-24th September 2009[br]Studying in London October 2009-January 2010[br]Countries l’ve been to: New Zealand, Hong Kong, America and Eygpt[br]Countries l’ll be going to: England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Aaustria, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, The Netherlands

On the tour I did bags were never weighed although I think it wouldn’t be too hard to tell if one was too heavy. On the Contiki tour I did all bags were weighed before anything got on the bus and if they were too heavy things had to be taken out so they were a bit more strict in terms of the exact 20kg.[br][br]The biggest advice I’d give from experience is to pack as light as possible. Even if Topdeck may not weight your bag, remember the airport will be strict about it when you fly home. Instead of using the Topdeck suggested packing list as a rough guide and packing more like I did, try and stick to it because that really is all you need for the tour. You will often have to carry it up several flights of stairs around Europe too. Some of the hotels we stayed in only had 1 lift big enough for 1 person and a case so instead of waiting half an hour to get in it you might just carry your bag up a couple of floors. We also had a couple of hotels with no lift at all so bare in mind you will have to carry your stuff up a few floors of stairs sometimes. And almost all hotels seem to have a small staircase from the street to the entrance too!

Hey Sassy, Kyla and Pippa[br][br]Thanks for the quick reply ladies…all is just so stressfull packing! Do they weight your back throughout the tour or just at the beginning? Cleary I’m getting paranoid…minimal clothes and no shopping? Yikes

Hey Alex,[br][br]Thanks for the advise. Noticed you went on Europe Uncovered earlier in the year… did your group join the venetial trail group in Rome?[br][br]Any tips for the up and coming trip?

Hi Chantelle,[br][br]Yes we had 6 people join us in Rome for the Rome-London part and 5 left us who just did London-Rome.[br][br]Main advice really is to pack as light as you can and make space for souvenirs and things you might buy. Try and do most if not all of the optionals if you can afford it. And take plenty of memory for your camera![br][br]Alex