Oslo accommodation

Hi just wondering if anyone know what accommodation Topdeck use in Oslo. I am doing a Reindeer and Russians trip on the 23rd of June and would like to be able to book a night or two at the accommodation before it starts. Thanks!

Oh, just so you don’t respond with “Get your travel agent to do it.” or anything like that I have booked the trip myself directly with Topdeck and wanted to see if it was cheaper to book directly with the accommodation or if I should add a night or two through Topdeck.

Hi, I did the Northern Exposure tour last year. I guess they use the same accomm. It’s a fairly basic Backpackers in a central location. ‘Anker Hostel’, there might be better places to stay. Scandinavia is expensive.

It included breakfast, which wasn’t too bad. I’ve had better continental breakfasts.

Thank you so much for your response. I don’t expect the accommodation on tour to be that fantastic so I think we will stay elsewhere for the nights before the tour.

Hi. I did the North East Expedition (replacement for the Red Star Special when Top Deck’s Russia accommodation fell through due to the world cup) last year. We also stayed in the Anker Hostel. I got the impression they used to use somewhere different. It was fine (other than the weather being really hot and the room not having aircon, like basically all hostels). Pretty easy walking distance to stuff. It seemed to be part student accommodation part hostel. There’s a 3-star hotel next door, that’s where we had breakfast.

Hi damien

i’d love to here more about your trip as i have just booked the northern exposure for this year!!! very exciting

thanks
steph

Hi Steph,
It gets very cold the further north you go even in August / September. When you get to Olderfjord (northern Norway) we saw the Northern Lights for 2 nights as the sky was cloud free. If you’ve got an SLR or Mirrorless camera, a tripod is necessary. Shoot at 400 ISO, f/2.8 and about 30 seconds. If you’ve only got a smart phone, there are a number of apps available which most other people were using with mixed results. You’ll need cold, wet and summer clothes for this trip as the weather can be all over the place. Berlin was hot, then as we went further north, it got colder.

Svartisen Glacier trip isn’t mandatory however those who don’t go end up waiting at the boat pick up point with nothing to do. If you go and it’s sunny, no problem. If it’s rainy, care should be taken on the rocks. The glacier is pretty spectacular when you get there after a 3km hike. Care should be taken on the icy part to get under the glacier for that all important selfie and countless likes.

Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland are all very expensive, especially alcohol. Alcohol in Sweden and Norway can only be purchased in bulk (Norway I am certain, can’t remember about Sweden or Finland) at Government operated stores. Eating out and everything is expensive in Scandinavia.

Try to do as many of the optional activities, there are a few and they’re pretty great. When you get into Berlin I’d recommend the Fernsehturm. Which is the old comms tower in Berlin. Has a bar and restaurant up top as well as look out. Buy the express ticket at the kiosk outside the main entrance, saves waiting around. Also in Berlin the Hofbrau Haus, a traditional beer drinking hall not far from Wombats in Berlin. I’d recommend a sim card from SIM Corner (I’m certain any country can buy them, I’m an Aussie) but they’re essentially Network 3 from the UK. Worked out to be the cheapest from my perspective. 12GB for $60 AUD I think. Your local national provider may have better options for international roaming.

Some of the accommodation (especially in Olderfjord) is a bit dire. Keep your expectations low in Olderfjord. Most of the places they do a camp site styled dinner setup with a tent and each person is expected to contribute to helping out. Often arriving late in the evening it’s a bit wearisome. Get as much sleep as you can as the drives are horrendously long. Same with lunches, a camp tent setup usually at a petrol station. This is help save travellers from buying extra food.

Again expect cold windy and wet days in Scandinavia. The Nordkapp trip is pretty cool for an experience. We had a very windy and sunny day. If you’re not use to cold, I had about 3 layers. Merrino wool (either light t-shirts or base layers, mid layer and then a wind water-proof breathable hard shell.I have an Arc’teryx Goretex hardshell, it’s worth the investment and quality. Northface does a similar specced without Goretex but similar technology at a lower price.

Merrino socks as cotton stinks when it get wet or sweaty and merrino is anti-bacterial. Wear comfortable shoes, hiking boot are pretty best, but need to broken in first to reduce blisters.

If you’ve got any specific questions, please feel free to ask as I’ve got a lot more info :slight_smile:
Remember to enjoy and relax as much as you can.

Cheers,
Damien

Although shouldn’t be a problem in Scandinavia, I’d recommend an RFID tag to put in with passport/ travel cards (credit or debit). This will prevent theft of your details.

RFID tags essentially block unauthorised skimming of your details. They can be used to steal personal details off Passports or money cards.

The ones that come in passport wallets or purses usually aren’t strong enough.

fantastic so much info thanks!!

i am heading in june july so unfortunately wont think we will see the northern lights but thanks for the tips

and i have just bought hiking shoes thanks!

questions i did have also if you dont mind haha

• did u bring a sleeping bag? i am unsure if we need one and topdeck arnt clear on how many nights we will need it for

• also what was the accomodation in norway like in the cabins?

• i have an slr camera just debating on which lenses to bring any tips?

• did you get much time at santas village?

sorry and lastly any ideas of what to bring to do on the bus or tips to deal with the long hours as i assume we wont have wifi the whole time

thanks for your reply

stephanie

Hi

Yes you’ll need a sleeping bag for the majority of the campground cabins in Norway. I bought a tiny tiny one from Kathmandu and took it with me. The people starting in Berlin can easily get one there. Quite a bit more expensive getting one in Oslo, although possible cheaper than the tiny Kathmandu one I took, but it is possible. I don’t remember ever being cold while in bed, all the cabins had heating from memory, so you could possibly get away with something less than a full on sleeping bag. My tour got to Oslo on the 3rd of June. It was hot all the way from Berlin (mid to high 20s every day), but the temperature dropped right off after leaving Oslo.

Also useful to take a towel (usually available at hostels (either included or for a cost) but not at the camp grounds) and a pillow case.

The cabins were, umm, fine. A couple of them had ensuites, rest were normal campground affairs. Some were better than others, sometimes there was a mix at the same place (at one place there were a couple of fairly nice cabins with ensuites, TV etc but the rest of us were in cabins with power and beds and that was about it). But, yeah, go in expecting fairly basic campground cabins with facilities (shower and toilets etc) in a seperate building.

We had a pretty reasonable amount of time at Santas Village. There were about a dozen or so people on my tour that went and got their pictures with Santa.

I’m fine with just looking out the windows for hours on long bus trips so can’t help much there. They did show movies a few times and I think people played cards, listened to music/watched TV shows/movies downloaded to phones, that sort of thing. The trip I did was 37 days and near the end of the it I spent some of the bus rides asleep, not by choice :-). Just make sure you put your seat belt on so you don’t fall out of your seat if you do nod off :-). There was WiFi on the bus, but it was limited. I didn’t really use it as I had cellular data.

I’m really confused. My trip notes (and my travel agent) said I would not need a sleeping bag and there was absolutely no mention of needing a towel but they have been mentioned as important in this thread.

I presume the people doing Reindeer and Russians (like myself) are in the same accommodation/are on-tour with people doing the Northern Exposure and the other segments, right? So wouldn’t we need a towel and sleeping bag, too?

hi yes so much confusion about the sleeping bag however it defiantly does state to bring a towel in the trip notes mainly the sleeping bag im more concerned about

i called topdeck directly and have been given 3 different answers some say 7 nights for sleeping others say only in Oslo you need it sooo confused ???

Hi

My trip notes (from “My Topdeck”) never mentioned a towel and didn’t mention a sleeping bag until the last one I downloaded pretty close to when I left home for the trip (they put it in bold).

Don’t be too concerned about the sleeping bag as you can get them in Oslo (or pretty cheaply in Berlin if starting there) if needs be. Your tour manager will let you know if you need one.

The specific accommodation generally isn’t listed until only a couple of weeks before the tour starts so perhaps just wait until then.

thanks so much for your reply’s and help!!

The camp sites you stay in throughout Norway don’t provide bedding or towels. You can usually hire a sheet or 2 and pillow case and towel for not many dollars.

The best towel is one you buy at an outdoor or camping store. Essentially like a chamois that you use to dry your car (which is actually the best option) as they dry the quickest. So too do camping towels. I did find mine not being completely dry in the morning. So go with the chamois option. They are much smaller, but can be wringed out after each time you use it.

All of the camping sites had heaters in them, which were life saving. I got a compact down sleeping bag and it was adequate for the trip. They sometimes have leftover sleeping bags from the previous trip waiting for you in the bus. Talk to your trip leader on day one when you first meet to discuss.

Image result for compact sleeping bag

would these small ones be sufficient ?

Possibly. It’s summer you are going in isn’t it? I was there in June and didn’t find it overly cold in the cabins at night. Depends on what temperatures you are used to and what the weather turns out to be like when you are there I guess. I took thermals but only wore them when we went to Nordkapp. I just slept in summer PJs every night.

This is the one I took. It’s pretty small but your example looks even smaller. Mine’s in its “storage” bag at the moment (vs the tiny “travel” bag) so I haven’t got a picture of it in it’s small state.