Optionals how and when do we pay?

hey everyone :slight_smile:

just wondering how the optional excursions and activities work, how and when do we pay for them?
going on winter spirit 3 nov 11 :slight_smile:

Thanx!!

normally for the optionals its always cash and generally pay a few days before if you need to book it, so look to see how much extra you will have to save for in your budget

Hi,

My wife and I will be joining a Top Deck tour in June 2012.
I just have a question about optional activities such as the Eiffel Tower visit. Does Top Deck provide express group entry to places like this?
I’d hate to have to spend hours lining up to get up the tower…seems like a waste of time when I’d rather be exploring the country.

Any information on these activities would be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Charlie

You’ll wait in line like everyone else sadly. At least that was the case on my tour a few years ago, but things could have changed. I ditched that idea pretty quick and went exploring instead. I feel I experienced far more that way and got to see quite a bit in only one day.
Hope this helps a bit

[quote=30341]Hi,

My wife and I will be joining a Top Deck tour in June 2012.
I just have a question about optional activities such as the Eiffel Tower visit. Does Top Deck provide express group entry to places like this?
I’d hate to have to spend hours lining up to get up the tower…seems like a waste of time when I’d rather be exploring the country.

Any information on these activities would be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Charlie[/quote]

When I was there last year the express lines were always huge anyway… best bet, if you want to get up there and not waste a stack of time lining up for it…

1. Get there early… find out what time it opens and get there a good hour before hand.
  2. Climb the stairs rather than waiting for the lift. It’s a decent climb, but really not that bad… I did it after being out the night before drinking until all hours with minimal sleep…

We arrived there an hour before opening (from memory it was 8am… it opened at 9am? i could be wrong)… and the line for the elevators was already huge, yet there was only a half dozen people waiting for the stairs… so we did the stairs up… and then got the elevator down… it was about a 45 min exercise all up including stopping on each level for some happy snaps and to enjoy the view…

Charlie another option is work out you will be in each place get a list of the things that are a must do for you and go to a travel agent or search online for tickets and book beofore you go

Hey all,

I really like the idea of buying tickets before hand. However, what sites would provide authentic tickets and which other attractions would you recommend buying tickets in advance for?
(Btw, I am going on the European Wonder in early May)

Aside from purchasing travel such as Eurorail tickets in advance for BIG discounts if you’re doing any travel outside of the tour, I don’t see a big advantage from pre-purchasing tickets because…

• You might find something you want to do more on the day.
  • You might leave the tickets at the accom on the day (it happens with regular big nights!).
  • You might not have enough time to do everything you have pre-paid and end up wasting money.

As you won’t want to be rushing around too much, plan to see 2-3 sites per day.

Just make sure you budget enough local currency for the optionals + extra spending money for drinks/day food/shopping etc and then some extra because you always spend more than you expect.

thanks for the feedback.
btw, are u going on any upcoming trips?

Hi Charlie,

I’ve got a book by Lonely Planet called Europe on a Shoe string which gives great advice on top places to see and pretty much how to see Europe on a tight budget.

For most museums and the Eiffel Tower, you can book tickets which let you ‘jump the queue’. I don’t have my book on me to give you the direct URL, but here’s one I found when looking up the Lonely Planet forum: http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/pratique/acces/page/tarifs.html?id=2_3

Maybe there’s a translation button somewhere:)

Hope this helps!

i have been told for some of the big places like museums and such find a side entry no lines beacuse a lot of people just head for the front enterence