Optional Excursions!

Hi all, I just going thru my itinerary and looking at all the optional extras… If anyone has done it or knows more about it then me… Im doing the European Getaway in Oct and was wondering wat ones are worth doing and wat ones i should leave out?[br][br]Also wats the difference between the Jungfrau and Schilthorn excursion?[br][br]xx

Hi Em[br][br]I have just been looking at the same thing today. My partner is a cyclist and is fairly keen on the Mountain biking excursion. Has anyone done this before?[br][br]Chell[br]Spirit of Europe[br]14th October 2008

I’d love to know the answers too! [br][br]And does anyone know if the optional excursions change much for winter tours?

I’ve been told that i HAVE to go up the Jungfrou (btw - would also like to know the difference between them), go on the Seine River Cruise and the cruise in Amsterdam too… [br][br]I’ve also been told that the pub crawl in Berlin is really good too :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I have Jungfrau, berlin pub crawl and Amsterdam canal cruise on my list 2… Is the Cabaret show worth seeing in paris? [br][br]

Hi, i did a tour a few years ago with a different company, but we went up the Jungfrou mountain. It’s so worth it!! If you get good weather it’s a definate bonus, the cog railway going up is awesome.;D The other mountain i haven’t heard of, but if you have the chance do everything you can as this may be the only time your there. Make sure you have lots of film/space on your camera. Also wear warm clothes, beanies and scarves, the works. It’s cold up the top!!:sunglasses: Enjoy

Hi All,[br][br]Just a few notes on the above:[br][br]Jungfrau versus Schiltorn: I would recommend Jungfrau as it has guaranteed snow, Europe’s highest train station and also offers a variety of activities once you are up there (subject to weather conditions).[br][br]Biking in Switzerland versus biking in Austria: for a cyclist, I’d recommend Switzerland which is a bit more of a demanding ride. Note: you need to hire the bike yourself. Austria is more of a scenic leisure ride. Note: Topdeck can organise the equipment for you but there is no guide.[br][br]Optional excursion changes on winter trips: yes, there would be changes. Can give you a more specific answer if you could tell me which trip you are going on.[br][br]Berlin Pub Crawl: as with any pub crawl, it’s what you make of it - we visit a few alternative bars and you get a T-shirt at the end.[br][br]Paris- Seine River Cruise versus the Cabaret: We see a show at the ‘Paradis Latin’, the oldest cabaret in Paris which is definitely worth seeing. The river cruise is nice but it basically re-visits the sights you would have seen on the driving tour.[br][br]Amsterdam Canal Cruise: this is a very nice way of ending your trip - also good fun![br][br]Hope this helps.[br][br]Cheers,[br][br]Anita

Hi Anita,[br][br]I’m on the 16th Dec European Getaway. I’m hoping that the Jungfrau excursion will be on! [br][br]Thanks! [br]Cynthia

Thanks Anita![br][br]I was torn between doing the Cabaret and the Seine River cruise as i was told the cruise was something not to be missed-- but i really wanted to go to the Cabaret. [br][br]i think i will lean more towards the Cabaret! i mean how often will you have the chance to see one! :)[br][br]Essential Europe Winter Tour- 23rd Dec

Thanks Anita! That was a great help…[br][br][br]

Jungfrau is fun but i probably wouldn’t bother again cause we had such crap weather (all outdoor activities were closed and u couldn’t see anything) the rail trip up was fun though and i would definally go to the halfway point (where u change trains) is that is possible cause u get good veiws of the valley and we had snow there and there is a resturant etc. If doing jungfrau -TAKE WARM CLOTHES!!![br]I chose the seine rivercruise cause i didn’t really have enough money for the carberet. those that saw the caberet loved it and recommended it but then again, i had so much fun on the river cruise cause u see things like the eiffel tower and statue of liberty (yes, there is one in paris!) from a different perspective. Also, our group made it really fun cause we had champaigne and wine and basically just had a really fun time (esspecially paying out ppl pashing on the banks of the river)

The Jungfrau excursion will be avaialable in December but it depends on the weather what you can actually do once you are up there. Unfortunately we can’t control the weather. And yes, it will be cold on the top.[br][br]A very good trip tp you all![br][br]Anita

Hi All,[br][br]I was on the Essential Europe that left on 23 Dec last year and as it was winter and it was around Christmas and New Years there optionals that were not available. We didn’t have the option for Jungfrau, the Heineken place (it was closed) or the Paradis Latin cabaret (it was closed)so just be mindful of those things if you are on that tour date![br]I highly recommend the Fat tyre bike tour of Paris, it was such a great way of seeing it, and the Amsterdam Canal cruise…I did all the optionals I was offered apart from the Sound of Music tour in Salzburg and they were all worthwhile!:slight_smile:

ADMIN: [br]“Paris- Seine River Cruise … river cruise is nice but it basically re-visits the sights you would have seen on the driving tour.”[br][br]I am on the Essential Europe trip (Sept). Is there no walking tour in Paris? what about the bike trip, does it cover the same sights as well or do you see other things?

Thanks LukeandAli,[br][br]I am going on the tour and dates that you went on last year. Glad you told me that the Cabaret isn’t offered as at least now i won’t be really looking forward to it only to be dissapointed that it isn’t offered![br][br]what did you do on Christmas day? as i am assuming that things will be closed and it will be a bit different than the other tours around that time.[br][br]Essential Europe Winter Tour- 23rd Dec

Hi Meadow,[br][br]Paris is far too spread out I think to do a walking tour. We did a tour of some the big sights at night on the coach which was great, and then you have a whole day free to do whatever you like, we managed to go to the top of the eiffel tower, do the three or four hour fat tyre bike tour and spend a couple of hours in the Louvre before we met up for a group dinner![br][br]Jlord we had Christmas dinner on Christmas eve in the Rhine Valley we then left very early the next morning (and very hungover I might add) and drove most of the day before arriving in Munich and doing a bit of a walking tour (it was absolutely freezing -12deg)and then hurrying into the warmth of the Hofbrau House where we spent Christmas night! It was fabulous! There was an Oompah band too…And then we when we left to go back to the hotel it started snowing! You will love it!:slight_smile:

Sounds awesome!!! even the minus freezing weather is something new and adds to the experience!I mean its cold here in Tassie but not that cold… :)[br][br]Essential Europe Winter Tour- 23rd Dec

How many camera cards are guys taking with you? From the sounds of it, theres alot to photograph![br][br]Also wat happens if there weather isnt permitting for Jungfrau, do u not go up the mountain or do still go on the train, just with no activities?

i’m taking 2x 1Gb cards and a 256mb card… i think that should be enough… i hope :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hey Whirlsie,[br]I just did the Discover Europe tour, which is 26 days. I took about 1200 photos (including 3 days in London)!