Oh what shall we do in London

Hi Everyone,[br][br]Been seeing a lot of bits and pieces of what ppl are gonna do in London while waiting for their tour to start. I’m trying to get some ideas of what I can do in my 2 days leading up (15-16th June). [br][br]I’ve already decided I’m going to see Lion King the Musical (matinee) and also go to St. Paul’s Cathedral cos my friend said it was good.[br][br]Any other must-see’s?[br][br][br]Liz from Perth [br]Grand European June 17![br]+ Thailand

There’s soo much that you can do. You will have plenty to fill in 2 days.[br]Are you wanting to stay in town so to speak or prehaps do a day tour? Stonehenge and Bath are good day tours.[br]The tower of london, london bridge, london eye (definately go on it, I want to do it in the evening next time im there), go see buckingham palace and the changing of the guards. Although, the parade seems to go on and on it’s something touristy.[br]St Pauls i think is one of the nicest cathedrals that i have seen. (and there has been a few lol) Just be prepared for walking up the stairs for the view of the city.[br]Definately the Big Ben as well and while your there Westminster Abbey.[br]And maybe Harrods as well. Or just do a hop on off tour where you can see everything in one go.

I’m trying to figure out what to do as well! I’ll be there from the 26th 6am… bah!) and 27th, beginning the tour early on the 28th.

ill be doing a lot of what cruisey suggested plus im also gonna do the ceremony of keys :)[br][br]i wanted to see mary poppins in london - but its not showing in london :frowning: so am thinking about going and seeing grease lol[br][br]miss gem - im arriving at a similar time - dont forget that it will take a bit to get through customs in heathrow but after that i’m planning on doing a hop on hop off tour after i drop my crap off at globetrotters :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I just stole all these ideas from other websites… It’s a bit fragmented because i’ve cut and pasted randomly but you get the idea![br][br]Covent Garden - great shops here[br]Leicester Square/Picadilly[br]Oxford Street - Selfridges, Top Shop…and lots more![br]Regent Street - Hamleys Toy Shop, Wedgewood[br]Carnaby Street (off Regent)[br]Brighton - an hour train trip. Great shops in The Lanes.[br]Harrods[br]Hard Rock Cafe (Green Park tube)[br]Buckingham Palace (Green Park tube)[br]The London Eye - from here you can walk over the bridge past the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.[br]Whitehall[br]The Tower of London[br]St Katherine’s Dock[br]Trafalgar Square[br]Hyde Park[br]High Street Kensington[br]Wetherspoons - cheap pub meals[br]Kew[br]Greenwich[br]Canary Wharf/Docklands[br]Stratford to get a feel for East London (from here you can travel to The Docklands on the DLR, Docklands Light Rail).[br][br]If you’re on a tight budget there’s also a fantastic walking tour, its free and the guides are awesome cause they are paid in tips so the better they are the more they earn. Trust me you will be happy to tip them at the end! The tours start near the firemans monument and leave every day, details can usually be found at hostels.[br][br]Oh and if you get the ‘two attractions in one day’ e.g. Taussauds and London Dungeon, just note that whilst it does save you a bit of money, you have to do it all in one day so you might be rushing around a bit, keeping in mind that there are limited daylight hours in England.[br][br]- walk along the Thames - there is loads to see on either side[br]- National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery[br]- free concerts at St Martins in the Field[br]- hang out at the many parks[br]- tours of Parliament house (these take place usually during the summer season - I found it fascinating)[br]- British Library[br]- Wallace Collection (I love this place and the restaurant is fab)[br]- Courtauld Gallery[br]- Fortnum & Mason (especially the upper floors - loads of nice things to look at, but exy)[br]- walk along the canals[br]- The Victoria and Albert Museum (you can literally get lost in there)[br]- Imperial War Museum (quite sad and a bit gory)[br]- Wimbledon (if u like tennis!)[br]- Portobello, Camden and Spitalfields markets. If you have time, take the canal boat up from Little Venice (Warwick tube I think) to Camden, very interesting perspective from the river.[br]- Speakers corner in Hyde Park[br]- Walk, walk, walk!!! I covered most of London on foot, all the parks, past the palaces, shopping areas. Everything is surprisingly close. I think that and the buses are the best way to see London.[br]

We are only in london for 3 full days when we get back from our tour - so we thought the best way to see as much as possible was a hop on/off bus ticket! Would have loved to have stayed in london longer but its so bloody expensive!!

Wow Miss Gem! Thanks for that! I’m in London for 2 weeks after my tour, so that has given me some fantastic ideas. I was planning on doing things on foot - i think it’s the best way to discover things. But I shall definitely cut and paste that list! =)[br][br]Pharaoh’s Footsteps: Oct 18th, 2008.[br]Winter European Getaway: Nov 25th, 2008.

Hey guys, im so glad someone has started this topic because i was thinking of what to do as well! I arrive in london on 25th june and my tour starts on the 28th… Thanks for the ideas Miss Gem :slight_smile:

oh and just a tip - the london pass isnt worth it - most of the museums etc are free in london, and what it does cover u probably wouldnt use it enough to make up for the cost[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Leena is right I looked into th london pass and it definately didnt seem worth it. If anyone is going to Scotland as well a british heritage pass is worth it, Someone on here reccomended it to me and I am definately buying one!

Ooh good topic. I was looking at getting the London pass too but I’m reconsidering it now! Also, travel-wise, does anyone know if its worth getting a train pass? how big is London? lol that sounds really stupid, but I’d like to just walk places but I’m not sure if that’s even possible. I’m staying near Regent’s park, does anyone know how long it would take to get to most of the tourist places from there? [br]Thanks![br]Sarah (Russia, Scandi and the Baltics 1/6/08)

well, in my rick steves guide book he reckons that if u are there than less than 4 days that you should use a travel card and if you are there for 4 or mroe days to use the oyster card…[br][br]i dont have my guidebook with me, but if i get a chance i can post up some more info if u like :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

We got a three day underground pass with our three night accomodation at the globetrotter! My friend who just got back from Europe said that underground pass is a must - every stop on the train has one or two or three of the major sites that you want to see! Look at the tube map and it will give you a good idea of what you want to look at! Im going to do the Monopoly tour - just for laughs!

yeah im gonna use my 3 day pass when i first get there, then after edinburgh grab an oyster card for the other 5 days :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Camden pub crawl! [br][br]is deff a sight to see lol[br]

Hey Whirlsie[br][br]Thanks for the tip about the London Pass. I was definately considering getting it because I read it is supposed to save you money and time waiting in line… I am expecting to see most of London’s major attractions in the week following my tour.[br][br]Cheers for the advice[br][br]Toni

thanks for the tips guys![br]i think I’ll get the london pass but just for a day or two. there’s a few sights all in the same area that i reckon i could tick in a day - st paul’s, tower of london, tower bridge (cant remember the others!) and i really want to do a day trip out to hampton court, so if i do all of them it works out to be about the same price, but cuts back on the queue times. [br]which museums look good? i wanted to go to the london museum but they’re doing major renovations on everything post 1600s so thats a shame. [br]9 sleeps to go!![br]Sarah

The British Museum in Russell square is fairly good as well. Just don’t go in school hols. There’s kids everywhere. It’s also free as well.[br][br][br]Also, I can’t remember reading it or not. If you do a hop-on-off tour a lot of them have the option of pre-purchasing entrance tickets to attractions.

hey Leeana[br]Which rick steves book do you actually have?[br][br]The best european city walks and museums book is really good. I have that one from my last trip ;D

I have the “Europe Through the Backdoor 2008” and “The Best of Europe 2008” ;D[br][br]I find them so useful!![br][br]Personally I wouldnt get the London Pass - add up the prices of all the places u want to go and see if they are covered and then see if the price works out[br][br]For me I am going to all the major/usual tourist attractions and it just doesnt work out costwise :-[[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak