Money

Hi there,[br][br]What is everyone doing for spending money? My husband and I are going together, and if we’re budgeting $100/person/day, that’s a lot of cash to hang on to…how is/did everyone else handle bringing that much money?[br][br]Thanks!

Hi again Brandie lol[br][br]I have been lookign at how much i am taking… I am going on my own, but I am going to take 70 euros per day while i am on tour, and then 100 euros per day while I am travelling with my friends in Germany and Italy after the tour…[br][br]I dunno if that helps at all, but i figure its better to have some extra money just in case.[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hi,[br][br]I am also budgeting for at least 100 AUD per day but I am not taking cash over, just my new Visa Gold Debit card[br]This card has only been released these past couple of months by NAB and as far as my research goes, is the best way to take money overseas.[br]It has ZERO transaction fees and ZERO currency conversion fees, just a once a month $12 fee no matter where you are or what you do with your card. I think it proves much more affordable than the cash passports everyone suggest.[br][br]I have two family members that work for NAB so I know there are no hidden catches to this card. What you see is what you get.[br][br]I still plan on withdrawing large ammounts of money at a time in case I have trouble finding an ATM in some towns.[br][br]I know that didn’t really answer your question but I though I would share anyway![br][br]Ellen

Hi,[br][br]I am also budgeting for at least 100 AUD per day but I am not taking cash over, just my new Visa Gold Debit card[br]This card has only been released these past couple of months by NAB and as far as my research goes, is the best way to take money overseas.[br]It has ZERO transaction fees and ZERO currency conversion fees, just a once a month $12 fee no matter where you are or what you do with your card. I think it proves much more affordable than the cash passports everyone suggest.[br][br]I have two family members that work for NAB so I know there are no hidden catches to this card. What you see is what you get.[br][br]I still plan on withdrawing large ammounts of money at a time in case I have trouble finding an ATM in some towns.[br][br]I know that didn’t really answer your question but I though I would share anyway![br][br]Ellen

Personally, I’m using the ANZ Travel Card cos I’m gonna be using it mostly for POS transactions which is no transaction fee and no exhange fee cos its all there in euros or gbp (I have 2 cards) but i accept that if i get cash out that there is a small fee.[br][br]plus it only costs me $11 to set it up :)[br][br]but, everyone likes their own cards, so each to their own :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I just had my visa debit card which i was able to use at atms overseas (be careful, there is a $4 fee each time u use it in an international atm, and u can’t get a balance on ur account so be careful not to overdraw) i was going to go with the nab gold card but i only withdrew money about 6 times in the 6 weeks that i was obver there so it works out about the same in terms of fees and then ur not paying $12 when u get home and don’t need free overseas transactions anymore (i know u can change ur accout type once u get back but it was too much hassle)… [br]ATMs are usually easy enough to find in western europe countries (not sure bout eastern europe cause i only did UK, france, Switerland, and italy. Some of the Italian campsites/hostels even have ATMs on site or a nearby supermarket with an ATM. I probably spent about 50-80 euro most days when we were in cities, but only spent 5-10 euro on traveling days. Most of my money was probably spent on nights out (drinks r expensive, even in campsite bars) and souviners (can’t spell) cause most of the time u don’t have to worry bout food or transport, etc.[br]I carried my money in cash on me all the times (withdrawing enough to last me the week) and made sure i had more than one ATM card (eg, different accounts and credit cards) just incase anything happened to my main card. [br]hope this helps!

Hi all![br]So does anyone recommend using travellers cheques to take then just get the money out in one lump for the whole week as and when you need it? [br]I?m leaving in 33 days so not really enough time to organise a credit card and wait for the bank to send the bloody thing out and then activate it. Any suggestions?[br]

Hi Brandie,[br][br]My husband and I went together on tour over Christmas/New Years and we found budgeting $220 per day for both of us was more than ample. We took three cards with us, a Visa, a debit card (which we used all the time) and an emergency credit card (we never used it). We were easily able to get money out from atm’s everywhere we went.[br]I highly recommend not getting out large amounts to last a week or something as one couple on our tour got their wallet stolen in Paris and lost all 350 euros in it!:slight_smile:

hey dan[br][br]from what i understand, travellers cheques are out of date and not used any more. In fact you will have trouble finding places that will cash them, and then even more trouble finding a decent rate.[br][br]the anz travel card is issued on the spot at an ANZ branch - and u dont need to be an anz customer to get one. It just costs $11 to get it.[br][br]its a similar deal with the travelex cards, they are issued on the spot, but the set up cost is like 1% of whatever you are putting on there… so if u put $2000AUD on there, it will cost u another $20 to set it up.[br][br]You can google them to get more info :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Thanks everyone for your info! I guess more of what i’m asking, is are you exchanging all your money before-hand and bringing it all with you? I’m not familiar with the travel cards (not sure we have them in Canada)…would my regular bank ATM card work? I’ve read that there’s a decent possibility of it getting eaten…If traveller’s cheques aren’t really used anymore, i’m really nervous about bringing all that cash…

hey brandie[br][br]I found the canadian site for the travelex cards - http://www.travelex.com/ca/personal/CP_default.asp?content=cp [br][br]this will five u more info on it, but as travelex are one of the companies who do issue travellers cheques, then its a way to know that its safe and legit.[br][br]I used to sell these when i was a travel agent :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

there should be a sypol on the back of ur atm card (eg. plus or ciros) and u can use ur card at and atm with that symbol (though not all atms show which cards they accept)

There’s ATM’s along the way if you don’t feel comfortable carrying so much money. $100 per day is more than enough!! You’ll have extra left over.[br]The guides will tell you anyway if somewhere is not so accessible for cash.[br]As always I guess common sense - keep an eye on your belongings at all times!![br]Have fun[br][br]Jules in Sydney…[br]

Hi there, I just loaded up a travelex card and was all prepared to pay $30 dollars extra to set it up (I put $3,000 on it) then when she finished with it the grand total was $3,000.35!!! So Im all for travelex now. Also you have a web site you can go on, check your balance change your pin etc. Just like internet banking and they are very easy to use. I just did it at the post office and ordered some cash for when we land (at the post office they dont pay comissions on ordering money like the bank does!) HORAY for my local post office, they were very helpful! Hope my two bob’s helps![br]Jo

Hi Jo[br][br]Fantastic, I never realised that about the post office. Will def be heading in to find out exchange rates at mine![br][br]Out of interest, how much did you get charged to withdraw money on the Travelex card? [br][br]Chell[br][br]Chell[br]Spirit of Europe[br]14th October 2008

FYI most places that do credit cards in Europe require you to use a PIN number, not just signing like we do in Australia. Luckily I knew mine but many ppl on tour were caught short and had to trapase to the bank to get money out a few more times then they’d like. Just check with your bank for you credit card pin if you don’t know it already, but otherwise it’s easy to go in person to your branch and get it switched to a new number of your choice.[br][br]Liz from Perth [br]Grand European June 17![br]+ Thailand and Laos!

im getting an ANZ travel card too. just get the Euro one and put most of ur money on it. u can still use it in the uk there is just a small conversion fee i think. no point getting two or u might end up with more money left on the other one.