Money on ferry

On the ferry from Dover to Calais how is the exchange rate for Euros.I wold like to use my debit card (USD) to buy euros. I went to the ferry website and they talk about selling rate. Not sure what this is…[br]
http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/onboard_foreign_exchange_exchange_rates_exchange_rates.htm
[br][br][br]Or has anyone found a better deal in London for Euros?[br]Thanks

I have actually gone to ANZ to get a travel card where you can put money on to it and it goes on in EUR, GBP, USD, NZD or AUD depending on what card you get. It only costs $11 to set up (cheaper than travelex cash passports) and if u put money on in say EUR then you dont get charged a conversion rate when you buy things or when you withdraw money. There is a small fee for taking money out, but it works out heaps cheaper then using a credit card (well, it is in my case… lol)[br][br]as for the actual ferry, my plan is to get some money changed before i leave so that i dont need to worry about converting it on the ferry. I have a feeling they will up the price a bit because you NEED the money before you get to france…[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

thanks for the reply. I am not sure what we have in the States that is similar to ANZ besides the travelex card. Anyone know?

Hi Guys,[br][br]We ended up just changing money on the ferry, they don’t charge any commission and the exchange rate is pretty similar to any you will get in London…[br]They also have an atm on board, that you can use to get money out, as long as your card is compatible, otherwise don’t stress it was really easy to find atm’s in Amsterdam…[br]We just used our credit/debit card all the way!:slight_smile:

hey thanks so much. What do you mean by a compatible card? Was there a long line for exchanging money or for the ATM. Thank you for coming back to the forum after your trip. so many people never return to the forum to tell their stories or give tips.

Hey[br]I have also changed money on the ferry a couple of times before and it is very easy and compatible with London rates. There is sometimes a que, but as soon as you get off the bus go to the exchange and do it straight away, you shouldn’t have a problem. The Ferry trip is about 1 1/2 hours depending on weather so you have plenty of time. They make an announcement when the exchange opens and it is very well signed.[br]All the best![br]Danielle

I mean we had a mastercard with the Cirrus symbol on it and for some reason the atm wouldn’t take it…We just used the currency exchange as they allowed us to use our card…The atm didn’t take the card of some others on our tour either…[br][br]I don’t mind advising…I decided to come back to the forum because before I left I found it very hard to get any info, seldom to people come here and share their tips after they come back! Just wanted to hlep out!:sunglasses:

Hey. In regards to the ANZ card, it is really good, I am travelling right now and that is what I use. However, I didn’t realise when I got it that you cannot use it for online purchases. So for flights etc I have had to use my normal credit card which gets quite expensive. Not a huge problem, but I just thought that I should let you know! Also, it is always good to have cash as an amazing ammount of places (in Germany at least, but I guess everywhere) don’t take cards! And I am talking about big shops like Esprit! Strange, but that is how it is! Anyway, I just thought I should let you know!

My bank card (with the cirrus and maestro symbols) was not always accepted in some of the temporary ATM machines but it was always accepted in the ATMs that were at or outside of a bank.[br][br]STA also offers cards like the ANZ, it is called a cash passport and is organised by Travelex. Its best to wait til the dollar is really strong and then all of your money is converted at that time. It definitely can work out cheaper, but you should withdraw enough for a couple of days at a time as I think its about $5 per withdrawal.

i looked into the travelex and it costs more overall… more to withdraw, more to set up (1.1% of whatever u put on… just think if u put on $3000 for a holiday it will cost you $33!!) then u have to pay for the conversion etc…[br][br]before you get any card i reccommend that you do your research :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hi[br][br]I’m also thinking of getting a cash passport to take overseas as well as my Visa card. I bank with the Newcastle Permanent Building Society and as far as I know they charge no fees with the card…[br];D[br]Happy Travels![br][br]Toni

We didn’t bother with exchanging money on the ferry. Basically when we arrived in Paris we withdrew a lump sum amount and then started splitting the money so it wasn’t all in the same place. Withdraw enough to last your a few days so you are not always paying bank fees.