Money Belts

Hi Everyone,[br]Just wondering whether anyone has any tips about money belts, ie are they are a good idea, or just a pain? I can see how they make everything a bit more secure, but I personally think they look like they’d be annoying, wrapped around your waist all the time. I kind of picture old people with socks and sandals using them…have I got the wrong idea? I wasn’t planning on using one, but every travel website I look at always suggests using them. Any thoughts?[br]Katie[br]Winter Getaway 13 March '08

Hi Katie, [br][br]I thought the same thing, then I discovered a very thin one that you can actually wear under your clothes! It won’t be the most comfy but at least you can keep your passport, tickets and a bit of cash safe. And you get to escape the look of the big ones that have the “old people with socks and sandals” stigma!![br][br]I got mine from Strandbags, I’ve also seen them in Myer.[br][br]Hope that helps![br][br]Tammy:)

ive got one :slight_smile: i bought it a few weeks ago :slight_smile: i would rather be safe than sorry :)[br][br]the one i have is like a shoulder one, so it goes across your chest, rather than around your waist - which for me i think would be really uncomfortable :)[br][br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Thanks girls, I think I’ll have a look around, see if I can find a slimline one, just enough to carry the passport and some cash. I think you’re right Whirlsie, better to be safe than sorry. I just wasn’t sure whether they were as common as what the travel sites seem to make them about to be.

Hi Guys,[br]I have just arrived home from the 12 day Essential Europe tour, and it was fantastic![br]Anyway on the subject of money belts, I took one and never used it…I carried my passport in a pocket of my coat and the money and other stuff in an inside pocket of the coat…Several girls took handbags which I don’t think was very good as there were lots of dodgy gypsies particularly in Paris which is where one couple had their their wallet taken at a metro station…But the best advice is: Always be aware of the people around you, it can get really crowded and that was in winter!

Be alert and be conscious of the people around you. I was always a bit tense when we had our camera out but was always scanning around the place whilst my partner was snapping away. [br][br]Money belts…I got a “PacSafe” slash proof money belt. Wore it initially in Paris and Barcelona and places where I naturally felt unsafe.I only kept emergency money in it and my passport. One thing you don’t want to be doing is constantly digging into your money belt when you are buying things. [br][br]What I did is had a “PacSafe” handbag and always had it diagonally across my chest with my hand always on the bag in front of me. I didn’t have a wallet…instead just a little money purse that I pulled out reagulary. Also put some money in the bag by itself also in case the purse was lost/stolen or whatever. [br][br]Whilst on our trip I saw ignorant tourists pushing prams around with their video camera swaying off. Even a magpie could swoop that off![br][br]Anyway, be smart and be aware of who’s around you.

Thanks Dave_1979. I have to admit I had kind of been thinking “Surely these places can’t be any worse than walking around Melb/Syd”. Its common sense to be aware of who’s around, keep your wits about you and be aware of your surrounds. I guess its the inconvenience factor if you do happen to lose some of this important stuff, but I can’t help wondering if the whole “keep everything safe & secure, be careful” etc etc is overhyped. I only know of 2 people who have had a bad experience o/s, and they both openly admit it was their own fault, as they just stopped concentrating and let their guard down.