Mobile phones in EUROPE and UK...what to do?

Hey,[br][br]I need to bring my mobile with me in europe and the UK. What do i do?

Depends on your service provider.[br][br]I am with Telstra and I just had them switch on Global Roaming which means I could log into and use the local network in each country.[br][br]Be careful though because it is expensive and they even charge you if someone rings you!

stick to text messaging! i send messages via skype, and receive on my cell phone. works a treat. the charges even to receive calls are crazy! and even if you dial a local area call, you’ll still be charged at international mobile rates.

i agree with the aboves … i’m gunna go global roaming & stick to text messages only, i think its about 50c per msg …[br][br]quan[br]grand european[br]19 may

im with telstra postpaid and got international roaming it goes to every country but as mentioned its expencive, but everyone knows that number if needed.:)[br]i was also tossing up between getting a vodaphone prepaid cap (cause you can use that credit and it goes almost everywhere) or getting a uk one when i arrive for making more calls.[br][br][br][br]- beer is the answer, but i forgot the question- [br][br]summer fun & sailing[br]May 15th 09

gday, [br][br]on the mobile phone. Be very careful about the telstra global roaming. I got caught. I had too make 2 phone calls totalling about 8mins and it cost $60. Received two phone calls, about 12mins(finland, estonia) and that cost $23. That was in russia. If you think you are going to be in one country for awhile, just buy a sim card there. It did work anywhere but if you think you have too make a phone call or receive, hmmm best find another option. Just be strong and dont answer or make phone calls. ;D lol[br][br]cheers[br]Dale, Redstar08

Buy a UK sim card while you’re there - they work all through the UK and Europe, and at much cheaper rates than global roaming from Australia or NZ. The sim is about GBP10, and includes some credit. You can then load/re-load with as much credit as you need. Only downside is the change to your mobile number - but that’s a good thing if you want to avaoid having to pay for too many incoming calls!![br][br]Red Star Special[br]26 July 2009

Does anyone have any tips for an Optus user such as myself, Or is Skype still the best way to go?[br][br]summa130- Does this mean you set it up so that you sent sms’s via skype and received on your mobile? How did you set this up??[br] [quote]stick to text messaging! i send messages via skype, and receive on my cell phone. works a treat[/quote][br][br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

I?m the same, I?m with Optus! I think what I?m going to do is get international roaming (but put a lock on it so I can?t receive incoming calls ? only text messages) and then use Skype. With Skype you can message and call to other mobiles/phones for the cost of a local message/call. All you have to do is top up your Skype account (or you can set it up so it automatically does it once you reach a certain level).

depending on how long ur in the UK for I would suggest getting a prepaid sim card over there. I got one with a company I can’t quite remember right now, but it was SUPER cheap to call home in AUS - home phones and mobiles!! I think it was only 4p a min to call a landline! Messages were quite cheap too.[br][br]if you’re interested I can find out the name of the company…atm all i can remember was that it was blue! lol[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

[quote]if you’re interested I can find out the name of the company[/quote][br][br]If it comes to you can you let me know, coz i’m definately interested![br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

Hey,[br]Yeah buy a phone over there… then it doesn’t matter if worst comes to worst and it is lost/stolen. I bought a phone for 20 pounds from orange which came complete with 20 GBP worth of credit (therefore making the phone free) so the 20 GBP of credit lasted me the whole 5 weeks i was in the uk and europe… making calls and txting.[br]hope this helps,[br]Happy Travelling[br]Rikki

get a travel sim - u can use it in any country, much cheaper than global roaming, its prepaid, and your friends and family can send u unlimited free sms from the website[br][br]www.travelsim.net.au

it was Lebara mobile :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Thanks Leeanna :slight_smile: I’ll have to look into that one[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

yeah i’ve bought a travel sim - its really straight forward and cheap as. You get them from the post office or online :)[br][br]Eloise[br]Summer Fun & Sailing 1st May 2009

hi everyone![br]look into ekit: [br]http://www.topdeck.ekit.com/ekit/MobilePurchase/FreeSim[br]because we get a free sim card or you can pay extra for fancy extras that allow you to receive calls for free. this way you can load credit from anywhere and not worry about running out of credit. also, you can just swap it into your phone or they can send you a phone as well. [br]maybe this will help! the only downside is a different number but throw your number on facebook and then call it a day :)[br][br][br][br]tam~[br]Istanbul - London 2008 [br]Red Star Special 2009

I looked into ekit but found their data rates absurd. The best I found was with callineurope… $4.50/day flat rate for unlimited Blackberry data and the call/text prices aren’t too bad.[br][br]It’s the unlimited email/BBM/web that really sold me on it though…[br][br]**Spirit Of Europe April 28th 2009

If you are from the US i know you can do something through verizon. Im not totally sure how it works my mom is doing it for me. but basically they loan you a phone for the few weeks you are gone and then you get a special plan for that time or something.[br][br]European Getaway[br]May 16 2009

Question for missrik,[br][br]i am shifting to the uk so looking at buying a phone over there as dont have a prepaid phone in NZ. Do you remember where you purchased you phone from and what the company was?[br][br]Thanks:)[br][br][br][br]Maree:)