Mega European or European Pioneer?

Hi All,[br][br]I’ve decided to do a Topdeck tour mid next year, but can’t decide between Mega European and European Pioneer![br][br]Initially I thought 5 weeks on the European Pioneer would be more than enough, and that I would be over it by the end of the trip, but now I’m thinking “If I’m going to be there, I may as well do as much as I can!”[br][br]Can anyone give me some advice on whether they think the Mega European of 7 weeks is a bit excessive or not? I’ve traveled quite a bit, but never to Europe. So my dilemma is that I want to go everywhere![br][br]Also, what do people recommend from experience - the Camping or EuroClub option?[br]I’ve read that for parts of the EuroClub tours you stay in cabins at the camping grounds, which is fine. But are the camping grounds a fair way out of town?[br][br]So many options![br][br]Thanks in advance.[br][br]

Hi Hails,[br][br]I have done Mega European this year and it was a great trip. I can really recommend it. It is a long trip and sometimes people get on your nerves a little but it isn’t too hard to get away if you need it. I only did the Rome to London section which was five weeks but I am really good mates with those who did the extra two weeks. All of us really loved camping, a lot more than our hostel/‘hotel’ upgrades as it is so much more social. We found when we got upgraded, people often stuck to their rooms or with a closer group of friends.[br][br]The campsites are often a little out of town but it is never hard to get into town. You usually are given a return ticket for tram/metro/bus and it never takes longer than about 20 mins.[br][br]The only beef I had with the tour is that I didn’t find you got enough time in certain places, but I suppose that is the point of a tour so I cant really complain that much.[br][br]Hope this helps, give us a yell if you have any more questions.[br][br]Mike

Hi Mike,[br][br]Thanks so much for your response. It’s been a great help! [br][br]Cheers,[br]Hails

Hey Hails,[br][br]I see you are facing the same dilema’s as me! I have decided to definately go with the Maga trip next July. I was a little hesitant at first with the length of the trip and also having to stay in tents for so long but hey it is all part of the experiance. It is my first trip to Europe and all up will be spending approx 3 months over there. Thats 3 months off work!!!:p[br][br]Counting the sleeps already

Hey Matman[br][br]I am doing the Mega European on departing on 4th July next year. What date are you booked on?[br][br]I can’t wait, only 7 months to go…

Hey matman,[br][br]I’ve decided to do the Mega European too![br]Yeah, I agree. I may as well do as much as I can whilst I’m over there![br][br]Looking at booking an earlier tour though. Likely the one commencing 16th May![br]I’ll let you know how it goes, and if I come back with any pointers…[br][br]Have a great trip!![br][br]Cheers,[br]Hayley

G’Day Meals,[br][br]prob look to go late july so that i can plan my trip to Oktoberfest. Yeh cant wait, all that is left is to save, save, save the money!!![br][br]Hails,[br][br]would be great to hear all about your trip, have a good one.[br][br]Cheers guys

hey hails! will be on the may 16th mega european with you![br][br]you by urself or with friends?[br][br]Europe Unplugged *July 2008[br]Alps & Matadors (Part of Pioneer) *June 2009[br]Mega European May-Jul 2010

Hi Chris,[br][br]Going by myself… A bit nervous, but figure there will be others in the same boat! What about you?[br][br]Look forward to meeting you![br][br][br][br]

by myself also, but this is the 3rd tour i’ve done, and every one there was close to half by themselves so no worries.[br][br]it’ll be a great time! will get to see every place i’ve already seen again, which is def not a bad thing[br][br]Europe Unplugged *July 2008[br]Alps & Matadors (Part of Pioneer) *June 2009[br]Mega European May-Jul 2010

[quote]Originally posted by Meals[br]
Hey Matman[br][br]I am doing the Mega European on departing on 4th July next year. What date are you booked on?[br][br]I can’t wait, only 7 months to go…[br][/quote][br][br]Hey Kiwi i am doing the Mega European on July 4th as well! Looks like we will be touring together. Do you know of anyone else who is doing the tour with us? I cant wait! :slight_smile:

Hey Brittany[br][br]This is so exciting, my first big trip and by myself as well!!! Are you travelling alone? I haven’t heard of anyone else booked on this tour yet, have you?

hey hails! actually have switched from the mega european to the northern exposure for the first 22 days and then joining your group for the last 27 with athens to london[br][br]so will see you 22 days into your trip![br][br]Europe Unplugged *July 2008[br]Alps & Matadors (Part of Pioneer) *June 2009[br]Northern Exposure Club (Part of Red Star) May 16th-June 6th 2010[br]Athens to London Camping June 7th-July 3rd 2010

Hey Meals, yup traveling alone… I did the Oktoberfest 2006 trip and most people on topdeck travel alone so not worried at all! I havent heard of anyone else going on our tour yet but it is guaranteed departure so should be full by july. What part of NZ are you from? I have lived in Auckland for the past 3 years!

Hey Mike, I know that everyone spends money differently but about how much would you say is the normal amount spent when doing the Mega European? I am from the states so it is hard to judge how much I will need, especially with the conversion. Thanks

Hey Brittany[br][br]I am living in Wellington, been here all my life. Are you still in Auckland. If you are on facebook you can add me if you want, mealsonwheels52@hotmail.com. Were you camping on the Oktoberfest tour? I have never been camping so that part will be interesting…

hey guys,[br]im doing a few topdeck tours next year and am travelling alone,[br]was hoping to meet a few people who are doing the same tours before i go…[br]my tours are:[br][br]las fallas 17th march - 20th march 2010[br]anzac 9 day sortie 18th april - 26th april 2010[br] mega european 16th may - 3rd july[br] pamploma picador 4th july - 10th july[br][br]be great to get some feedback

chantellealyce will see you the last 27 days of your mega european trip. was originally the full mega european but decided to do the first 22 days of the red star first, then finish with the athens to london. have already seen all of western europe with the europe unplugged/alps & matadors![br][br]don’t worry about going alone - and most people who are first time trips aren’t on these forums so you likely won’t see too many on here but they will be full, and half or so will be on their own too![br][br]Europe Unplugged *July 2008[br]Alps & Matadors (Part of Pioneer) *June 2009[br]Northern Exposure Club (Part of Red Star) May 16th-June 6th 2010[br]Athens to London Camping June 7th-July 3rd 2010

Hey meals, i am back living in the US for now. Yeh the oktoberfest tour was camping as well. It is not that bad, the tents are big and the air mattress are good. The only downside is the bathrooms at the campsites are shared by a hundred girls all trying to get ready in the mornings. But we are backpacking throughout Europe with a bunch of young crazy people so nobody is going to care after a month hahaha! i am so excited!!!

Mega European! Its SO much fun![br][br]Chloe