London - ideas on what are must sees!

Hey Everyone,[br][br]I have 5 days in London and am keen to see as much as I can.[br][br]I am wondering what people think are must sees while you are there?[br][br]Also, I would really like to head to Liverpool and see all the Beatles things. Anyone been there and done that?[br][br]Any tips or advice would be greatly welcomed![br][br]Thanks everyone!;D[br][br]Raina[br]Discover Europe July 9th[br]Followed by a week in London

I’m getting the train up to Liverpool the day after I get to London to tour Liverpool FC’s stadium and Museum and hoping I get time to check out Beatles museum![br][br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Greek Islands Fun in the Sun

Hey I was actually going to do a Beatles tour in Liverpool but its quite far by train. [br]So i found this tour in London!![br][br]http://www.beatlesinlondon.com/In_My_Life_Walk.htm[br][br]Also the fat tyre bicycle tour of London is meant to be awesome![br][br][br]Sandy[br]-Essential Europe 29th September 2009

if you go to your reception desk at where you staying at, they have all the brochures on where you can go or what you can do. i did the free morning tour of the old part of london, it was really good.[br][br]check this link: http://www.newlondon-tours.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26[br][br]you should do this day trips as well: [br]http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk/windsor-stonehenge-bath.htm[br][br]

if you go to your reception desk at where you staying at, they have all the brochures on where you can go or what you can do. i did the free morning tour of the old part of london, it was really good.[br][br]check this link: http://www.newlondon-tours.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26[br][br]you should do this day trips as well: [br]http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk/windsor-stonehenge-bath.htm[br][br]

Hi. I have been to London many times & will be there again on June 20-23rd. I too would look at the brochures offered at reception. I would recommend doing a day tour outside of London as well as going on the london Hop-on Hop Off bus. Evan Evans, Grayline & Premium Tours are reputable companies that offer such tours.[br]If you plan on using the tube a lot, you should get an oyster card which allows for unlimited travel on the tube.[br]Let me know if you have any other questions.[br]Brian[br]brij75@yahoo.com[br][br][br]Brian Josephson

Hi guys[br][br]Also try www.walks.com London walks, I’ve done some of those, they’re pretty good and I’m from London![br][br][br]Ruth [br]

Tigerleeli,[br] Have you gone on the Evan Evans Windsor Castle tour? Do they give you any free time in the town of Windsor?[br][br]Brian[br]brij75@yahoo.com[br][br]Brian Josephson

Ruth,[br] Thanks for the link. Do you know of any other tour companies besides Evans Evans/Golden & Premium that offer day trips out of London?[br]Also would like to hear about your Egypt trip once you get back as I’m going there in december.[br][br]Brian[br]brij75@yahoo.com[br][br]Brian Josephson

Hi Everyone,[br][br]Thank you so much for all of the information. I will look into those websites and head to my hotel reception to see what they have to offer. So excited to see as much as I can![br][br]Is seeing inside Buckingham Palace worth it? Has anyone gone inside?[br][br]Thanks again for all of your help! It’s much appreciated![br][br]Raina[br]Discover Europe July 9th[br]Followed by a week in London

all great ideas :)[br]is it expensive to check out the harry potter castle??[br]and where is it?[br]i will definately do all i can to get there :)[br][br][br]…Colina…[br]…Grand European - July 28th 2009…[br]?The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.? - Saint Augustine

I would go to the war museum. It sounds depressing but I went last year and it was amazing! That and the Tate gallery!

Sounds perfect for all of us London First-Timers :)[br][br][br]Royal London FREE Tour[br][br]Walk in the footsteps of the rich and powerful on our Royal London Tour. We?ll introduce you to the personalities who ruled Great Britain, from Edward the Confessor to Winston Churchill. We?ll also take you to the buildings where they lived, worked and played, as well as where many are entombed today. This tour winds its way through the city of Westminster, home of the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.[br][br]On this 2.5-3 hour walking tour, we cover all the main sights including: [br] Royal London[br][br]? Hyde Park Corner[br]? Buckingham Palace[br]? The Changing of the Guard (most days)[br]? Churchill?s War Cabinet Bunker[br]? The Houses of Parliament[br]? St. Martin-in-the-Fields[br]? Westminster Abbey[br]? Trafalgar Square[br]? Nelson?s Column[br]? Wellington Arch[br]? St. James?s Park[br]? 10 Downing St.[br]? Horseguards[br]? Whitehall[br]? Big Ben[br][br]…and much more! [br] [br][br]Changing of the Guard occurs every second day August to April and every day May to July. [br][br]When and Where?[br][br]This tour starts daily at 11 AM & 4 PM by Wellington Arch. Use EXIT 2 when leaving Hyde Park Corner station. Be sure to look for our guides in their red New Europe T-shirts! There is no need to pre-book, and tours run regardless of weather 365 days a year. [br][br]The Free Tour ends at the Houses of Parliment. If you ask your guide at the end of the tour, they will be happy to offer you directions to wherever you are headed[br][br]…Colina…[br]…Grand European - July 28th 2009…[br]?The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.? - Saint Augustine

Hi Brian[br][br]They’re really the only ones I’ve heard of, could try googling. Will tell all about the Egypt trip :)[br][br]For everyone, for free things, theres plenty of museums eg. Natural History Museum (my favorite!) Science Museum, British musuem, Victoria and Albert with free entry.[br][br]Ruth

You have to do the London Eye - its awesome!! We went to buckingham palace, just looked at it from the outside, its worth a few pictures, plus the gardens all around it are beautiful - we grabbed lunch near the tube station and ate in the park feeding the squirrels!

Hi Colina,[br][br]That tour sounds fantastic and covers so much and best of all, it is free! Thank you so much for letting me know about it. Well definately do that when I am there.[br][br]JoJords, thanks for your tips too. I have never seen squirrels before :o;D With the London Eye, did you book tickets on line before you went? Or just got your ticket on the day?[br][br]Thank you! 16 days to go! Very excited![br][br]Raina[br]Discover Europe July 9th[br]Followed by a week in London

Hi Guys,[br][br]We’re heading over in August (can’t wait!) & have a few days to spend in & around London - will definately be looking into some of the tours mentioned here. Thanks!![br][br]My sister (who’s been living in London for the past year) just sent me this link that has alot of the attractions at a discounted price[br]http://www.lastminute.com/site/entertainment/attractions.html[br][br]Jess[br][br]Jess & Tim[br]Essential Europe +[br]Berlin to Budapest[br]Aug - Sept 2009

You MUST do the hop on hop off bus tour:
http://www.theoriginaltour.com/
[br][br]And the London eye is also a must. I booked my tickets online a week early, but when I got there (an hour early) they said I could just go on the eye right away instead of waiting for my scheduled time. I think the scheduled times are just for the rare case they are REALLY busy.[br][br]Buckingham Palace is nice to see from the outside. Note that the changing of the guards happens every second day, so you should time your visit to see that. You can go into the ‘Queen’s Gallery’ but all that is is a gift shop and some really boring paintings. Not worth the money, at all.[br][br]The London aquarium is tiny and not worth the visit unless you’ve never been to an aquarium before. Same for the ZLS Zoo… it is very small, but okay if you haven’t been to one before, or for a long time. Don’t go into the aquarium in the London Zoo, it is depressing.[br][br]Madame Tussauds wax museum is worth a visit. Book your tickets for this online, or else you will be waiting on the street for 4 hours (probably in the rain. :slight_smile: ) Don’t expect anything awesome here, though… We found that a lot of the wax figures were very poorly done (Including Brad Pit and Angelina Jolie), although some are REALLY impressive.

[quote]Originally posted by brij1975[br]
Tigerleeli,[br] Have you gone on the Evan Evans Windsor Castle tour? Do they give you any free time in the town of Windsor?[br][br]Brian[br]brij75@yahoo.com[br][br]Brian Josephson[br][/quote][br][br]hi brian, [br]i have, the tour guide’s really professional and definitely know the history. there’s really not much in the town but they definitely gave us heaps of free time when we were doing the windsor castle tour. i find it absolutely good, definitely value for your buck. [br]lemme know if you have any other questions :slight_smile:

[quote]Originally posted by brij1975[br]
Tigerleeli,[br] Have you gone on the Evan Evans Windsor Castle tour? Do they give you any free time in the town of Windsor?[br][br]Brian[br]brij75@yahoo.com[br][br]Brian Josephson[br][/quote][br][br]hi brian, [br]i have, the tour guide’s really professional and definitely know the history. there’s really not much in the town but they definitely gave us heaps of free time when we were doing the windsor castle tour. i find it absolutely good, definitely value for your buck. [br]lemme know if you have any other questions :slight_smile: