Living in London

Interested to know if anyone else will be living and working in London before or after their tour??
I’m moving over to London from 24th April and will be there for 2 years on my youth mobility visa.
Currently waiting for my visa to be approved and returned…SOOO nerve racking.

Anyone else done this before even? B-)

Nat

Hi Nat,

I’m doing the same thing :slight_smile: im going on the European Pioneer on the 26th of June and living in London for the two years after that. SO EXCITED!!! I’m still waiting til I’m 3 months out before I apply for my visa… eeek!!

Hi hun,

Im doing the same thing with my hubby, we will be living in London from 18th March for the first 3 months then doing a few months touring and then a few month in Scotland…only 31 dasy til we go!!! ;D ;D ;D

Hi guys,
I’ve got a one way ticket to UK leaving 31st March - I am doing the european pioneer tour on 19th May but am also going to be living in the uk post this for work and fun and touring :slight_smile: so would be great to catch up with you guys at some point

Woo hoo! Looks like there are going to be a few of us over there :slight_smile:

Im from Perth as well Marie :slight_smile:

My email is warnockamy@hotmail.com so for anyone that wants to meet up over there let me know…ill be travelling will my hubby but we are only 22 and still wanna party! We’ll be working in a pub for the first 3 months.

I’m also doing the Pioneer tour on 19 May then settling down in the UK indefinitely (lucky enough to get a British passport through my mother!!). Am so excited - cannot wait!! :slight_smile:

Wow!! B-) It’s so great to see that I’m not the only one doing this! :slight_smile:

How old is everyone and what type of work are you planning on looking for? I’m 26 and I’m probably going to look for temp office work to start with as I want to have a flexible position in order to travel heaps whilst I’m over there…

Has anyone decided which suburb they’re living in yet??? I’m finding it SOOO hard to decide! I’m a freak with planning so have been through every suburb guide I can get my hands on but its STILL difficult! I’m looking at probably South/west…

And don’t worry about the visa Morgan…they’re pretty easy to navigate but if you want to know exactly what I included let me know and I’ll send you the list!

Laura I am totally jealous of you - wish I had some ancestry from the UK but alas - I’m the last in a long list of aussies… :frowning:

It’d be great to meet a few of you over in London! :smiley: Make sure you let us know how you get on AmyH!

Hey Natalie

I’m nearly 26 (my birthday is right in the middle of my tour ;D!) and hoping to get work as a solicitor but if I can’t, I’m not fussed - any sort of admin or hospo job that pays the bills and enables me to travel will be fine. I’m worried that I won’t get as much travel time if I can find a legal job, but I will probably be able to afford to do more travel so it’s a fine balance…

Haven’t even considered where I want to live yet - want to see where I can get a job and then live realtively close to that… What suburb guides have you looked at - any you would recommend?

Hi guys,

Hubby and I are both 22, we already have a job lined up just working in a pub. We have gone through a company that finds aussie’s jobs over there. We will get told in a week or two what pub/suburb we will be working in :slight_smile:

Wow thats awesome Laura! A solicitor!?! Fancy :wink:
I was actually trying to decide the same thing. My career has been in events management and I’d LOVE to work in events over in London (as its one of the event capitals of the world) but I just know I wouldn’t get much time to travel - but I guess I could always travel for 2 months at the end as well…decisions decisions. For a suburb guide - there’s heaps of opinions…but I found this table the easiest to understand and the easiest to compare too! http://www.londonsetup.com/london_accomodation_transport.html
We’ll definitely have to meet up after you finish your tour!! :slight_smile: Add me on facebook - Bubblessmith OR kitty_kat2010@hotmail.com ;D

And Amy - I was thinking about the pub way but I’ve never really liked serving at a bar…lol
I don’t deal with drunks very well. hahaha. But you’ve got a lot of travelling planned so it looks like thats definitely gonna work out well for you!! :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I am touring in the middle of the year also. I lived in the UK in 2008 for 18 months, this time my BF and I are just going for a 6 week holiday.

When it comes to where to live I suggest waiting till you get over there to decide. Book say 2-4 weeks in a backpackers and then get out meet people and go out in different areas.

It depends on how much you are willing to spend on rent also. 2.5 years ago a room in a share house vaired from 80 pounds to share a bedroom with another female (2 single beds) this excludes throwing in for bills.

If you want your own room it started from about 150 pounds up to about 300 pounds a week.
It alll comes down to the location, whats included, the state of the property eg: newer / older, how many other people live in the house all that sort of stuff.

Here is what my low down is on a few suburbs, I was 23-24 when I lived over there

Hammersmith, Shepherds Bush, earls court= Heaps of auzzies, close to the city, 5-10 min bus ride to Kensington. auzzie pubs (cheap meals cheap drinks) easy to find share accom. Bit older and dirtier the Hammersmith council did not remove the garbage enough, Also other than a lot of Auzzies there is a lot of Indians and people from other middle eastern countries, I lived in Shepherds Bush for over a year, suited me as I paid 160 pounds for my room.

Fullham- Great place to live if you can afford it. Felt a little safer here, clean streets still a big Auzzie comunity, pubs and bars a little more up market. Around 200+ pounds for a room

SoHo, Kensington, Knightsbridge- Expensive but in the hub, expensive everything not as many Auzzies but really nice its like the Double Bay (Sydney) of London. Its upwards of 250 300 pounds here for a room!

Up North on the Tube around Camden is nice too…

Look on Gumtree website for share accom in London.

My tips share with a good girl guy ratio, dont live with more than 5 others less the better and dont budget more than 1/3 of what you will earn to pay rent cause it is so so expensive to live in London! Also stay inside zones one and two on the London tube map as its closer to the city and cheaper for a weekly ticket.

Hope some of this helps

GREAT news!! ;D ;D ;D

I got my UK Working visa! B-) So over the moon right now I had to share :slight_smile: Only took 5 days too!

Thanks for the great tips Natalie and Rachael!! ;D

And congrats on getting your working visa!

Hey All,
Rachel thanks for those tips - gives me heaps to think about.

Hey Amy are u and your hubby doing an anzac day tour??? I’m doing a 16day tour round tour and finishing up in gallipoli sleeping overnight in anzac cove for anzac dawn service - super duper pumped about this - might see you guys in anzac cove if you will be there. My email is mariemc86@hotmail.com so give us an email if you are.

Also anyone fancy organising/going to tomatini festival in spain and october fest - maybe when we meet up anyone keen we could book a tour - can’t miss these things! :slight_smile:

Natalie you are gonna have the best time - don’t stress - we will all sort something out - can start at backpackers and work it out from there hehe, even if you could enquire where its easier to get work for u (i.e. in london) or if outskirts are better that’d be a start. Also I’ve heard from mates pub work is heaps casual if you wanting to come and go for travel.

I’m planning on working casual to do exactly this and then will try get some more permanent/contract work after this :slight_smile: I’m lucky too as have british passport but ALAS U HAVE YOUR VISA NOW!!! whoohooo

So true Marie! :slight_smile: So jealous of people with British passports!! Man, I wish my relatives were more spread out!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m definitely looking at going to as many festivals as I can whilst in Europe!! Tomantina, the Venice festival, Oktoberfest, St Patricks Day, Hogmanay…just to name a few. Was thinking Oktoberfest this year, then venice festival, st patricks day and tomantina next year…

I think I’m gonna stick with casual/ temp work cause you can never really know when the best deals will come along and you want to just be able to jump on every opportunity… maybe mix in a few contract jobs as well.

IT’S GONNA BE INSANE!!! ;D Sorry…just getting way too excited now! B-)

Hi Everyone,

Wow. .amazed at how many people have the same plans as me! Reading through all your posts has got me so excited!

Im 24, from NZ, doing the European Pioneer 2nd June tour then living in the UK for 2 or so years after that. Am really keen to live in Edinburgh at this stage (have heard wicked things about the city) but may end up in London as am an Accountant (like to think I dont fit the “boring” stereotype though. .honest! ;)), which would be equally as cool! Really flexible at this stage.

Laura & Morgan, I see you are both from Auckland, I’m 2 hours south and will be coming to Auckland in March a bit so would be cool to meet up for a coffee at some stage if you want to. If not thats cool, email me if you’rekeen. . emma_newzealand@hotmail.com :slight_smile:

Natalie, Marie & Amy, over in Auz, awesome to read all your plans & see you will all be in London around the same time! Amy, I’m planning ANZAC Day at Gallipoli next April. .would love to hear how you find it. Nat & Marie, festivals sound fantastic, I’m definately keen to do those!

Anyway, just thought I’d check in with you guys, would be awesome to catchup with you all at some stage in London.

All the best for all your planning and travels & may see you in the future!

Emma

Can’t help myself :slight_smile: I find it easier to look at everyone’s details at the same time! ::slight_smile:

Morgan - im going on the European Pioneer on the 26th of June and living in London for the two years after that.
AmyH - and her husband will be living in London from 18th March for the first 3 months then doing a few months touring and then a few month in Scotland (warnockamy@hotmail.com)
Marie_mc - leaving 31st March - I am doing the european pioneer tour on 19th May but am also going to be living in the uk after this (mariemc86@hotmail.com)
Laura21 - 19 May then settling down in the UK indefinitely
Emma - doing the European Pioneer 2nd June tour then living in the UK for 2 or so years after that, Keen to live in Edinburough (emma_newzealand@hotmail.com)

We’ll definitely have to get together at some point this year B-)

heyyyyy :slight_smile:

im doing the european adventure on the 22nd of may then doing the pub job thing somewhere not sure exactly where yet will find out just before i get the job

AmyH are you doing it through london pub company? thats what im doing mine through :slight_smile:

would be great to meet up with a few (or all of you lol) while im over there add me on facebook or email me on matt_hollingsworth@hotmail.com

also my 21st in on the 28th of june so if any of you are around london then welcome to come everyone is invited hahaha

matt

Awesome :slight_smile: Hi Matt! It’s good to know it’s not just girls doing this! You’ll have to send out another invite closer to your birthday on these forums :slight_smile: As I said before, it would be great to meet everyone I’ve been chatting to on the topdeck forums! B-)

Me (NatalieS) - Arriving 24th April then doing Summer fun and sailing 29th April, and living in london for 2 years
Morgan - im going on the European Pioneer on the 26th of June and living in London for the two years after that.
AmyH - and her husband will be living in London from 18th March for the first 3 months then doing a few months touring and then a few month in Scotland (warnockamy@hotmail.com)
Marie_mc - leaving 31st March - I am doing the european pioneer tour on 19th May but am also going to be living in the uk after this (mariemc86@hotmail.com)
Laura21 - 19 May then settling down in the UK indefinitely
Emma - doing the European Pioneer 2nd June tour then living in the UK for 2 or so years after that, Keen to live in Edinburough (emma_newzealand@hotmail.com)
Matt_h - 22nd May - European Adventure then pub job (matt_hollingsworth@hotmail.com)

This is so awesome to read these posts - super exciting - think we are all gonna have the time of our lives!
Emma I’m super keen to live in scotland for a bit :)- also cardiff in wales (heard it goes off awesome times apparently) plus I’m a sucker for accents lol!
Matt our european tour ends in london end of june but who’s to say we can’t all organise a catchup at some point for your bday celebrations!

Is there a facebook page opened for everyone? I know laura from nz had opened one for our tour leaving 19th may but feel free to add/email me and we can have contacts to meet up at different places around uk!

Cool well 28days til i leave aus indefinitely! So not organised enough but have family over there to hang out with till I get my stuff sorted.

One more thing - I’m told greece is like the best place to spend alot of time at and you can just hire a boat and cruise around the islands at your leisure - how awesome would it be if some of us could do this for a week or so… :slight_smile: