List of Essential Items

Hello[br][br]What are your essential items, the things that you intend to take with you- or wished that you had?[br][br]My List includes[br]- hand sanitiser[br]- tissues/toilet paper[br]- blood circulation/DVT socks (I don’t have time to deal with swollen feet on this trip and my tour leaves soon after I arrive after two quite long flights)[br]- extra battery for my camera[br]- extra memory card for my camera[br]- travel pillow- (not a horseshoe shape nor a blow up but a foam filled pillow that can contract to 1/5 its size, from the gogogear website)[br]- mini sleeping bag[br]- anti-nausea/travel pills[br]- basic 1st aid, band aids, neurofen, tea tree oil, aloe vera, safety pins[br]- sarong[br]- european double adaptor[br]- permethrin silk sleeping bag liner[br]- pegless clothesline[br]- nappysan[br]- small torch[br]- mocrofibre towels (1 or 2)[br]- camera[br]- mobile phone[br]- journal[br]- hair straightener[br]- thongs 3 pairs (I will wear these instead of sneakers)[br]- high heels[br]- oversized day handbag[br]- medium sized evening handbag[br][br]I would take a small sewing kit- but I cannot sew at all so would therefore be quite pointless but those who are handy with a needle and thread would probs find some benefit.[br][br]I am doing a Long camping tour so things that I may find essential, others may not need at all![br][br]Odette[br][br]Mega European June 22nd

my list is very similar and have already bought most of these items. I also have an adpter for the UK, i’m taking my battery recharger, my ipod (which has movies on it to watch for a couple of other logn trips i have planned while i am over there). I’m not taking a sleeping bag liner (why are these needed?? I have no idea!! lol) i bought a little laundry kit which has a pegless clothesline, a sewing kit (i can sew) washing liquid, and a blow up clotheshanger - but i still need to get a plug because most places over there dont have pegs in the rooms/bathrooms and there wont be many places for us to stop at a laundromat. [br][br]The other day i also went to Snowgum who are having a sale at their clearance store and i picked up some travel clothes (pants, t-shirt, jumper) which are all light (but the jumper is so warm!!) and they dont wrinkle and dry easily :)[br][br]My full packing list is on my webpage that I have set up that i will update over there like an online journal (to go with my paper one) :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

My list is simular, but I am wondering about the toilet paper - not sure you are going to need it. The camping side of things I’m pretty sure will have some sort of toilet facilities… but then I could be wrong and naive :p[br][br]LOL You should see my medical pack; it’s insane because I really don’t want anything to go wrong whilst I’m having fun ;D[br][br]I’m interesting about the travel pillow - where do I get one? Maybe that is one of the items I can buy in London before I leave (I have 4 days in between arriving and leaving on the tour).[br][br]6th of July, Mega European

for the Euroclub tours (which is what i am doing) on the pre departure info it says to bring TP :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

The sleeping bag liner helps to keep the sleeping bag clean & I am using it for 7 weeks. Because its treated with permethrin it keeps all the various creey crawly’s out of your bed. I am just paranoid about being bitten by things while I sleep.[br][br]The pillow is from www.gogogear.com.au and is the thermarest compressible pillow the small size is $31.90.[br][br]The toilet paper seems to be advised by lots of ppl- just in case.[br][br]In many European nations the toilets dont have toilet paper and you have to pay a lady who sits near the entrance to the toilets 20 euro cents for some toilet paper before you enter![br][br]Odette[br][br]Mega European June 22nd

We took small packets of toilet paper wipes and small packets of tissues with us. However I don’t think we ever needed the toilet paper. Every rest stop we went to had toilet paper, and most of them you pay about .50 euro to enter, they were all at petrol station/convenience store type places along the autobahns or highways…The ones in Germany actually gave you a voucher for .50 euro off your spend in the store![br][br]The tissues did come in really handy as did hand sanitiser!

Hey Whirlsie, that lanudry kit sounds handy - where did you get that one from?

I picked mine up from one of those travel accessory stands that you see in the travel sections or inbag stores or travel stores etc. its made by Korjo :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

That is a great list you have put together Odette!!![br]On long trips I take most of these things…[br][br]I also have a sleeping bag liner, I have a friend who did a 4 week camping trip last year and she told me that her sleeping bag was quite stinky when she was finished and she wished she had of gotten herself one.[br][br]I always take toilet paper with me!!! The time you don’t have it is when you will come unstuck - for example we stopped at a service station with toilets in Russia and they were disgusting and bug infested, we all chose to use nature and that is a time when toilet paper is handy![br][br]Kirilee - I think you should be able to get one of those travel pillows at most department stores, and definately online. I have gone through 3 since living and travelling in London and they are invaluable!!! You will sleep with it, use it on planes, buses, boats etc Don’t leave home with out it! You can pick them up in London for somewhere between ?7-?15[br][br]Of all the things on the list Hand sanitiser is the most valuable thing other than your fisrt aid kit! You will be surprised what you touch that you didn’t intend on touching![br][br]Danielle[br]Aussie living in Uk[br]Mega European July 6.

I’ve been on the Discover Europe trip last year (amazing time).[br]Don’t forget…[br]- EAR-PLUGS! useful on the plane, whether your camping or sharing with a stranger (who may snore), and basically to block out any city noise where you may be staying. [br]- travel drink bottle which you can re-use over and over. In Italy you can use the Aqua ducts to re-fill. You don’t want to be buying water all the time.[br]- toilet paper or those toilet wipes. [br]- band-aides or if you work at a hospital…tegaderm, melolite…so very handy and much better than band-aides as the last longer and are waterproof![br]- an extra battery (-ies), or extra lithium-ion battery depending on what your camera takes …re-chargegable batteries & charger. [br]- extra camera memory cards. [br]- mobile phone can be handy but ensure it will work overseas before you leave. [br]- Telstra Phone-away card…these are great! You can dial from any phone and it just charges the pre-paid account. (we used ours everywhere and no need to worry about having coins with us. We even rang in our hotel room without having to pay any extra dialing charges).[br]-pegless clothes-line (take 2 if you are traveling with someone else). Take some laundry powder/liquid.[br]- Paracetamol, Cold & Flu tablets, Antibiotics if you have them just in case (some people got sick and some even had to go to hospital for their throats). [br]- sunglasses[br]- hand sanitiser[br]- appropriate travel adapters [br]- shower cap[br]- maybe take a sink plug as rarely did any of the rooms have plugs. They made it hard to hand-wash clothes. [br]- list of important contact numbers, copies of passport, travel documents, etc.[br]- tweezers.[br]- novel.[br]- watch (left 1 watch in Aussie time).[br][br]One of the main things I wish I had of taken were a pair of Keen sandals (or similar). At the time I didn’t have a pair but now do…they are brilliant elsp. for walking around in all day. [br][br]*** Tips***[br]An extra ATM card . (I applied for an extra ATM card from the bank to have as back up in-case my card got eaten).[br][br]There are lots of things you could take and leave behind. Everyone is different so we pack things that accommodate our own individual needs. There’s no right or wrong. [br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br]

ps: for next time I would take a video camera.

really?! cos that has been one of my biggest questions as to whether or not to take a video camera!![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

The cash passports are good because you get two cards for the one account, so you can put one in your purse and the other in your suitcase. If you lose a card, have it stolen, or an ATM swallows it, it can be very very difficult to get your bank to send you a replacement.[br]I am taking all my cards, 2 ATM cards, cashpassport, creditcard. I have internet banking on them so if anything does happen I can just transfer my money. But I will be putting them in different locations, in my purse & in my skin tight pocket thing.[br][br]A few years ago my wallet and passport got stolen when I was in Poland but because I had a creditcard and my drivers licence in a separate pocket it was easy to get an emergency passport and still have access to money.[br][br]- Ice5 I think the sink plug is probs a good idea![br][br]Odette[br][br]Mega European June 22nd

yeah the ANZ Travel Cards have a backup card too, which i think is awesome, however the travelex cash passport one can be used at the same time as the primary card - which is good when there are 2 of you travelling together :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

TP is definately an essential. You may not need it but if you are doing the Mega European some Eastern toilets may lack it. As I didn’t like to have a bulging bag I just put one of those handy packets of kleenex into my day bag. Hand sanitiser is great. Many campsites have washing machines but can be quite expensive. Being prepared to do some hand washing is the best way. I aslo bought a small tube of travel wash with me for the hand washing because I am allergic to some detergent. This meant I didn’t have to buy some from a campsite and prepare for itchiness.

Just keeping this topic in the loop…

thanks to everyone for the all the advice etc! been making a list of everything i still need or didnt think of!! :)[br][br]one thing my partner’s parents have given us are a set of travel blow up coathangers - they reckon they were really handy coz they would hang them in front of an open window (if their room was high up) and go out to dinner etc, and the clothes would dry by the time they got back! Also taking a travel clothesline too for other items!

ive got one of the blow up hangers, but am thinking about buying some more :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I had a blow up one and never used it…[br]A clothes line does the same trick

Take an alarm clock/use your mobile etc to ensure you wake up in time to get the bus!