Laptops and Video Cameras

I was just wondering who here is taking a laptop or a video camera over with them…[br][br]I dont think I will take my laptop, but am debatng about buying a video camera… what do you guys think?? Is it worth it? Did you use it much if you have taken one over??[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I’d probably skip taking the laptop even though it can be good for burning pics on to cds for people etc. It is going to be an extra weight and something else for you to worry about as well.[br][br]Do you have a digital camera?? most of those have recording/video functions on them these days.[br][br]I just used my digital camera but only made 1 or 2 recordings with it. However, I do wish i had done more. There are a few things i missed out on. But, those things are also in my memory.;)[br][br]One thing i’d say is with pictures… take pictures of EVERYTHING!!![br]There’s never too many. A few times i missed taking pictures of something and then wondered why i didn’t take pictures of them :([br]

I agree with Cruisey…take pictures of everything you see…even your food…lol…seriously 1 meal can give a good laugh and remind you of so much more of what happened in that country. Next time I am taking a video camera.

I keep thinking about taking one! i really want to take a video camera, but i’m worried about the security of it and carrying it around…[br][br]but i just keep thinking about whether or not i should take one. Ice, you say that you will take a video camera on your next trip, but do you wish you had one this time around?[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I am bringing both…but then again I will be gone 4 months…

For the first portion of the Red Star Special tour I was on, four people had laptops. The 2nd half had two people with video cameras. Four had dSLRs, and one had a film SLR.

Yeah Whirlsie looking back I wish we had of taken a video camera. We got a small video clip which you can do at the Heineken factory in Amsterdam which is a great laugh. Pictures are great and one picture can remind you of so many stories. A video camera is definitely a must for me next time I travel.

Thanks :)[br][br]I think I will take one :)[br][br]This is the one I’m looking at atm http://www.jvc-australia.com/JVC/client/c_products_details.jsp?catID=4&prodID=343 [br][br]what do u guys think?[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I know from experiance of having 2 different cameras (1 for pictures and 1 for video) you tend to only take one generally bacause you don’t want to carry 2. I have now got the Panasonic TZ3 and it has a video function on it that is not as good as a video camera alone but it is pretty bloody good. I went to a concert a few nights ago and zoomed in from about 20 metres and it tapped as if I were close. So it is worth investing in something that will do both well. The TZ3 also has a travel function which is pretty cool also.[br][br]Lisa -o-[br]Melbourne

whats a travel function?[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

You can store in the camera before you go when you start and finish your holiday and then your pictures can be catagorised into Day 1, 2, 3 etc. It also has a notebook function where you can store and keep pictures of bus timetables etc. I wouldn’t be explaining it well so check out the site[br]http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/tz3_2/[br][br]Lisa -o-[br]Melbourne

I have the same camera, just an older model.I bought it last year for about $150 USD. I am quite happy with it. I plan on buying about 2 or 3 , 4GB SD memory cards. A 4GB card can record 44min of high quality video on my camera. You can get more time if you switch the video setting to a lower quality.[br][br]I think budget wise the camera is the best option since you can also record video. Just stock up on memory cards. (i found a special online that was selling 4GB memory card for $10 USD)[br]Also if you take a small flash drive that is 1 or 2 Gb then you can tranfer some of you video and pictures to it to free up some space on your memory. u can do that at any computer that has a USB connect and it doesnt even need internet to transfer.

That’s true. We took a few movies with our camera but they weren’t very long.

OMG![br][br]I think my head is gonna explode from all of this information!!![br][br]It’s great though that I can get so many opinions and reviews! I will definately have to shop around and see whats going to be the best option![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

A girl on our tour posted the best parts of her videos on a website for everyone to download.[br][br]Some cameras allow a connection to a GPS (yes, someone had one of these built into their PDA), take a look:[br][br]http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/nikon-d300-gps-camera-a1035.php[br][br]Not so useful if your tours are in cities, but much more so in places such as Norway. Don’t start agonizing about bringing every gadget though; everyone had a digital camera, many have MP3 players.

oh crikey, [br]i was going to buy a new camera(got a pentax 5mp at the moment), but with this talk here, hmmm, video camera could be a good option i think. have to see which ones take half decent photo shots. next step is which format: hdd, dv tape, sd cards and yeh highdef., hmmm when they are a bit cheaper! least the video cameras aren’t quite so big these days. guess i’ve still got some homework to do!!:)[br]any other ideas for people like me and leeana[br][br]Dale[br]Red Star special, 29th june

hey dmcozz, the one i was looking at is $100 cheaper at the good guys atm, but i am gonna wait a coupld of months then check it out again to see if its any cheaper…[br][br]also with the size, its onlu like 11cm x 6cm x 5cm!! and only weighs 360g!! i didnt know they came that small!! the bonus i think of having the 30Gb hd is that i wont need to lug around any tapes, dvds, or sd cards (except for my camera - if i still take it)[br][br]but it is definately a lot of information to process and understand.[br][br]I did find a small video about what to look for, but the link is on my compy at home, so i can post it up later if u liek :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

A little off topic… but if you plan on making a big purchase before you leave. You can make a claim (if you spend over $300)to get some of it back if you make the purchase goods no more then 30 days before departing Australia.[br][br]For more details check out : [br]http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4646[br][br]I purchased a camera before I went overseas last time and managed to get a little of it back.

its amazing that you say that because i was just at JB HiFi and they told me the same thing!![br][br]thanks for the link!![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

gday,[br]yeh i claimed the gst part back on my previous camera in 04. i was waiting til the last month to buy mine but got to do research on it before hand. won’t have much time up my sleeve in the last month to look much, it will be just go and quickly buy it.[br][br]hey leeana, what other video cameras did you look at? did you check out the canon ones or not? [br][br]cheers, dale