Iphone or No Iphone

I am trying to sort out what I should do in regards to having a phone when I travel to Europe in June. I have a brand new Iphone and it would be handy to have it O/S however if I cannot use it in a cost effective way while I’m there (use a phonecard) I am likely to leave it at home.

Has anyone got any useful advice regarding having a phone overseas or is using a laptop enough??

Thank you ;D

R u on a contract or did u buy it straight out because u can always get it unlocked n buy a British sim for it that works out cheaper but if ur on a contract international roaming will be a fortune

Yeah I am on a contract and so I don;t think I can use another phone card in the phone!?!

Would it be a better option to take an old phone and get a phone card? I want to avoid any huge bills!! :slight_smile:

Id say it will I’m giving my sister my iPhone while I’m over there so she can pay for the bills while she is using it n iv got an old decent phone that I’ll take with me n just buy a sim for that

Yeah you can. First time I went to Europe my iphone was still under contract. Got it unlocked, took the sim card out and put a British pay as you go one in.

put your phone contract on suspend while you are overr there get it unlocked and then use pre paid sim all the way cheapest acording to the phone company i was talking to today

Im def taking my iphone - i didn’t last time and really regretted it. Im also going to get it unlocked and just put my british sim in it. cheap and easy.

Thank you everyone for the tips, I will have to speak to my provider and make sure they can unlock the sim! I know the translating apps on my phone will be very useful when I’m over there!! :slight_smile:

Take it, switch the 3G off on it, and even the phone… I had my iPhone a couple years back traveling. My original plan was to get a sim card over there and use it but that was a big fail as the thing was network locked. I still used it to access wifi, use as my ipod, apps etc… was very handy…
I didn’t miss having the “phone” aspect at all!

Ok thanks for the advice!! So youre able to switch off the provider service and just use an iphone as a device for internet??

Easiest way to do it, go into “Settings” and switch on “Airplane Mode” this basically disables all 3G data, and telephone services, but still allows you to use wifi and all other phone features…

thanks for the help, Ive got my plan unlocked so should be sweet! counting down the days now!

[quote=33026]Yeah I am on a contract and so I don;t think I can use another phone card in the phone!?!

Would it be a better option to take an old phone and get a phone card? I want to avoid any huge bills!! :)[/quote]

Has your old phone been unlocked? If not even your old phone won’t work there. It needs to be unlocked from network restriction to be used out of your country wit any other local SIM card. You can unlock your mobile using unlock code. Get the unlock code from www.Mobileunlocksolutions.com
http://www.Mobileunlocksolutions.com
at affordable cost. all the best and have a happy trip mate

also note… if you have a iPhone 4 or above you will have a micro sim, these can be harder to get hold of while your traveling… easiest solution is to get a “micro sim cutter”, I picked up one from eBay for under $5 delivered… it allows you to cut a standard size sim card down to micro size, and often phone stores use these here (first one I saw was at the Telstra shop, they used it to cut down a sim for my iPad).