International roaming

hey [br]i’m doing the Britain & Ireland tore and i just rang up Optus for info on international roaming and they said they couldn’t do it for Scotland has anyone ails had this?

Hey there - I got international roaming on my telstra phone and it worked all over Scotland and the rest of the Uk - even deep in the highlands!! I think it is Vodaphone that telstra use overthere!! So when you land it just picks up vodaphone towers - they send you a message welcoming you to the country!

I have an iPhone that uses Data… did yours have Data also?? 3G or GPRS… sorry if that’s techy… but 3G is fast.[br][br]I am out of contract with Optus… So might get a Tel$tra plan… i worry about their lock on contracts… and terribel service here in Aus.[br][br]Bianca Duvall[br]www.biancaduvall.com.au[br][br][quote]Originally posted by JoJords[br]
Hey there - I got international roaming on my telstra phone and it worked all over Scotland and the rest of the Uk - even deep in the highlands!! I think it is Vodaphone that telstra use overthere!! So when you land it just picks up vodaphone towers - they send you a message welcoming you to the country![br][/quote][br][br]Europe Oct 10 onwards[br]Thailand 2007,2008,2009[br]NT 2008[br]

I cant really tell you - my phone is on a 3g network! I get reall good service here in Aus with telstra - my phone always works before anyone elses does! [br]I will warn you though - I am on a cap and any phone calls and charges were not included in my cap - so when I got home I had to pay for my cap and then all my international stuff aswell![br]I wasnt too fazed by the bill cause it was so easy just to ring them up turn the international roaming on and off I went!!

I have an iPhone with AT&T and they have international roaming all throughout Europe. But the catch is it’s $.99c/minute and $.39c/minute and that’s if you have the international roaming package. Also, AT&T gives you the option to purchase an international data package but the cheapest starts at $39USD and your only alotted a certain amount of usage and once you go over that, it gets really expensive. [br][br]And apparently the iPhone is locked so you can’t put another carrier’s SIM card in it. That’s what AT&T told me. So, has anyone else heard otherwise?

[quote]Originally posted by dalguy08[br]
I have an iPhone with AT&T and they have international roaming all throughout Europe. But the catch is it’s $.99c/minute and $.39c/minute and that’s if you have the international roaming package. Also, AT&T gives you the option to purchase an international data package but the cheapest starts at $39USD and your only alotted a certain amount of usage and once you go over that, it gets really expensive. [br][br]And apparently the iPhone is locked so you can’t put another carrier’s SIM card in it. That’s what AT&T told me. So, has anyone else heard otherwise?[br][/quote][br][br][br]I own unlocked (legally) iphones… In Australia we can purchase unlocked… I did this for the 3G and recently again for the 3Gs.[br][br]My main use will be DATA, as i would like to update my facebook, Email my Travel Blog and also upload photos to apples Mobile Me system so my family and freinds can follow my journey online and also leave me messages.[br][br]I would probably buy a local simm in the region i am in for local calls… i.e booking Hostels etc. I am sure i read that TopDeck supply their passengers with both a phonecard and a sim, both loaded with $5 for calls and can also upload to a blog. I need to find more info on this.[br][br]With an unlocked iPhone or normal phone you can accept any countries simm chips.[br][br]Bianca Duvall[br]www.biancaduvall.com.au[br][br]Europe Oct 10 onwards[br]Thailand 2007,2008,2009[br]NT 2008[br]

Thanks for all the feed back, didnt totally understand the tech talk but i think i understand enough of it. Sounds like its just Optus. i might have to go to a different company. [br]