How do I apply for a Schengen Visa?


I was hoping someone could help me out here!!

I am travelling to Europe from April and probably until the end of the year. This would mean I would be in the Schengen Zone beyond the 90 allowed days. I am trying to understand how to apply for a Schengen Visa but am honestly going around in circles!!

Apart from the fact Top Deck, Smart Traveller, American Express and the French Embassy (first destination in the Schengen Zone) cannot tell me whether I need one, no website can tell me how to apply for one.

Has anyone here had a similar issue and/or applied for one?



I’ve never had to get a Schengen Visa, but maybe this site can help.

Schengen Visa Application


Thanks Alicia.

So being an Australian citizen I don’t need a Schengen visa if i’m staying less than 90 days (within 180 days). However, because I’m staying more than 90 days I’ll need to leave the Schengen zone for 90 days and then can return when the time rolls over (super complicated and annoying…but as there is no visa available for tourists it’s the only way around it!!).

Thanks for the help.


It looks super annoying when you start reading whats required if you do need to apply for a visa.

Good luck with it all.


Hey Adam,

Thanks for your enquiry!

We provide the Schengan Visa letter for you if you do require it. I would use a website called Project Visa to see if you do need one.
More than welcome to email if you have anymore questions.


Team Topdeck


Hi there.

As I am an Australian citizen I don’t require a short-stay Schengen Visa. However, as I will be staying in Europe more than 90 days I am looking for a visa that allows me to stay beyond the 90 days (maybe there is a long-term Schengen Visa). After much research I cannot find any appropriate visa.

Can you please advise?

Thanks, Adam


Read this friend. The applicant must attend the designated meeting in person when handing the application form and the attached documentation. At the consulate, the applicant shall not be accompanied unless he/she is a minor, of sensitive health or not able to perform any locomotive activity. In case the applicant is not able to speak English or the language of the Schengen country whose consulate he/she is applying in company is recommended.
If you fail to attend the embassy/consulate appointment without a prior notice of 48 hours the request will be cancelled and you will have to undergo the procedure once again.


Click here for the nationalities that require a Schengen visa for a stay of less than three months. Before making your way to the embassy or the consulate of the European Schengen country you need, please make sure you are carrying: A valid national passport.