Hostel/Hotel in London?

Hey guys,[br][br]Can anyone suggest a good hostel or hotel in London?[br][br]Cheers,[br][br]Siobhan!

Hey,[br]I’m on the same boat as you. So many to choose from and so many mixed reviews. But i’ve had a look at www.hostels.com/london and I think im gonna go for the Palmers Lodge.[br]Flight centre have booked me into the UMI hotel for one night after the tour. [br][br]Depending on how much you wanna spend per night and how many nights you need really… [br][br][br]

hey i stayed at Palmers Lodge. It was a nice hostel, we stayed in a 6 person room. The only thing was that the bathrooms were VERY SMALL. The soap dispenser was directly above the sink therefore you couldn’t lean in to wash your face so water went everywhere. It was funny after a while. The showers were big and clean. The tube is very close under 5 min walk

i can tell you which one to avoid… that being Generator…[br][br]i guess you get what you pay for, but it was an absolute ****hole! room smelt like puke and piss, no ventilation, tiny/cramped rooms, dirty… its only a good hostel if u wanna get ****faced in the bar and passout.[br][br]pay the extra pounds for something half decent.[br][br]i also suggest reading reviews on hostelworld, thats the best way to see if a hostel is good or not![br]

im staying at saint christopher on the south bank only heared good things about it check it out [br]

i stayed at st.christophers near london bridge for one night in 2007 to get over jetlag, and i had no complaints … they have a handy bar within the hostel which is great especially if you are traveling solo - a great way to meet others! :o)[br][br][br][quote]Originally posted by ash84[br]
im staying at saint christopher on the south bank only heared good things about it check it out [br][br][/quote]

Hi Guys,[br][br]Just reading your comments: please note that they have just completed a multi-million pound refurb project at the Generator.[br][br]Cheers,[br][br]Anita[br]

Palmers lodge in swiss cottage london is good too

[quote]i can tell you which one to avoid… that being Generator…[br][br]i guess you get what you pay for, but it was an absolute ****hole! room smelt like puke and piss, no ventilation, tiny/cramped rooms, dirty… its only a good hostel if u wanna get ****faced in the bar and passout.[/quote][br][br]OH NO!! I was initially booked into the Globetrotter but by the time i get there they will have shut down so my booking was literally moved over to the Generator. Is it really that bad?! I would hate to start my holiday on a bad note like a dodgy hostel :([br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

i know nicole![br]i read that and now i’m contemplating changing my hostel plans.[br]i’m booked in to stay there for over a week before and after the tour. you only have one night there! lol[br]i’ll definately stay there the night before but i’m looking around to see if i can change the rest of the week to somewhere else. [br]does anyone know anything else about it that could change my mind??[br]i read some other awful reviews on it on the hostels.com website…[br]does anyone know what the refurbishments are like?[br][br]Colina[br][br]…grand european…[br]…July 28th 2009…

[quote]i’m booked in to stay there for over a week before and after the tour you only have one night there! lol[/quote][br][br]Actually Colina i have 2 nights there lol… But yeah you’re right you’ll be spending much more time there and so i hope for your sake it’s not as bad as people are making out. What i don’t understand is that if a business speends all that money on new refurbishments why not update their website to show this?! I’m still concerned.[br][br]Oh and Colina, 96 to go!! ;D[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

I dont think the hostel will be that bad, even if its not fantastic i dont mind staying there as long as at the end of the day I have a bed to sleep in, and somewhere to shower then im fine im not exactly going to be hanging around there all day and night ;-)[br][br]Plus I’ve stayed a a place that didnt have running water (equals no shower/working toilets) and a place with the scungiest shower ever…so I dont think I’ll be surprised by much really.[br][br]all part of the adventure![br][br][br]Lisa[br]Grand European 19 May 2009

I dont think the hostel will be that bad, even if its not fantastic i dont mind staying there as long as at the end of the day I have a bed to sleep in, and somewhere to shower then im fine im not exactly going to be hanging around there all day and night ;-)[br][br]Plus I’ve stayed a a place that didnt have running water (equals no shower/working toilets) and a place with the scungiest shower ever…so I dont think I’ll be surprised by much really.[br][br]all part of the adventure![br][br][br]Lisa[br]Grand European 19 May 2009

So I have weighed up all my options here, and I’ve decided to stay at another hostel. I was booked into the Generator for 4 nights prior to my tour starting, and I honestly read way too much negative feedback about it from a variety of websites and other forums.[br]since i’ll be travelling alone and for the first time out of oz, i just think it’s best to be comfortable and not to be worried about it.[br][br]nicole, i’m going to still stay at the generator the night before and after my tour. so at least we both won’t be alone! lol[br][br]the hostel i’m booked into for when i first arrive there is Palmer’s Lodge. I looked it up and it looks like just the place i’d like to stay. not even that expensive! so i got on hostels.com and booked it right away. i feel much better about it now to be honest! :)[br][br]only 93 days!!! can’t wait![br]SO SO EXCITED!! :)[br][br]Colina[br][br]…grand european…[br]…July 28th 2009…

After a LOT of research we are staying at the Astor Hyde Park. But, now their website seems to not be working…hmmmmm[br][br]Europe 10/08/2009 - 28/10/2009[br]European Emperor 20/08/2009[br]Bravo Italia 30/08/2009[br]

[quote]nicole, i’m going to still stay at the generator the night before and after my tour. so at least we both won’t be alone! lol[/quote][br][br]Hey Colina,[br][br]I started reading your comment and i was like OH NO!!! lol. Then i got further down and read this bit. So glad you decided to stay the night before the tour, am looking forward to meeting you :)[br][br]I decided to leave my bookings at the Generator. It’s only 2 nights (not even consecutive!) so i think i can “rough” it for such a short amount of time lol[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

Hi colina,[br]I’m 20 and aussie and last year was my first trip to the uk. I stayed at palmers lodge in a private room for 3 nights (there was two of us, and it was a 4 person dorm but the other beds were not sold… therefore making it a private room) and i went back to stay another night there after my tour (i stayed at globetrotters the night before my tour - before it closed - but it was way to far out of the city). Palmers lodge was great, still a hostel and the room had a lot of ppl in it and the ‘lockers’ were no where near useful or big enough for my big suitcase, but i had a great time there, it is clean, the showers are fairly private and clean, and the location is great, finchly road is a great tube station and easier to navigate getting ur way to the hostel (depiste the bit of a walk uphill)…[br][br]I’m sure the generator hostel can’t be that bad if topdeck have selected it as their base, and reviews don’t always tell a clear picture, but yeah, palmers lodge would def be my reccomendation for london hostels

hi Siobhan[br][br]dont know if you’re still looking but i’ve stayed at st christophers village - loved my few nights there. great place to meet people - im still in contact with a few of them a year on![br][br]:wink: if you obey all the rules you miss all the fun[br][br]* Pamplona 6 Day Fiesta 2009[br]* Athens to London July 13 2009