Helpful tips/ideas etc

In regards to handbags, I travelled to Europe during the peak period. I was worried and paranoid that someone was going to steal my bag/purse in whatever way they could after hearing disaster stories from friends etc.[br][br]So, I decided to get a “PacSafe” handbag (there are various styles/colours)! Loved it to bits and felt so safe with it. Basically it has a slash proof strap and the bottom of the bag is also slash proof. It also has a little zip lock thing to ensure 2 hands are needed for your bag to be open. The bag was still good enough to go out for dinner etc. Even fit our digital camera in it. Check them out at online travel stores as they can be alot more expensive in shops.[br][br]In Summer you don’t want to be lugging a backpack with you. The less you carry the better. Take what you really need, not what you might need.

Be alert and be conscious of the people around you. I was always a bit tense when we had our camera out but was always scanning around the place whilst my partner was snapping away.[br][br]Money belts…I also got a “PacSafe” slash proof money belt. Wore it initially in Paris and Barcelona and places where I naturally felt unsafe.I only kept emergency money in it and my passport. One thing you don’t want to be doing is constantly digging into your money belt when you are buying things.[br][br]What I did is had a “PacSafe” handbag and always had it diagonally across my chest with my hand always on the bag in front of me. I didn’t have a wallet…instead just a little money purse that I pulled out regulary. Also put some money in the bag by itself also in case the purse was lost/stolen or whatever.[br][br]Whilst on our trip I saw ignorant tourists pushing prams around with their video camera swaying off. Even a magpie could swoop that off![br][br]Anyway, be smart and be aware of who’s around you.[br]

ice, where did you get your bag from?? can you buy them in stores or only online?

i seen them on www.gogogear.com.au i havent seen them around shops, but i dont really shop that much anymore lol[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I was just about to mention “gogogear”.Thanks Whirlsie. Online is usually the cheaper option than those expensive travel stores. Also, don’t forget to take a pegless clothes-line with you. They are so handy. Take 2!

I went on the Discover Europe trip in Summer and just wore my Nike runners almost everywhere. Looking back I regret not taking a pair of Keen Sandels or something similiar. If I had I would have worn them everywhere. They are so comfy and they are perfect for hot weather especially if you are walking for hours on end. I took a pair of comfy shoes/sandels but they weren’t for walking. I now have a pair of Keen sandels.

i was told the other day that its a good idea to pickup some of those mesh laundry bags - one for underwear, one for clean clothes and one for dirty clothes. that way you can just pull out the bag with clean clothes, and the dirty clothes dont smell worse (as they would if you put them into a plastic bag for example) and dont get confused with the clean ones.[br][br]I picked up 2 larger ones for about $5ea and a smaller one for $3 at target. :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Having travelled with another tour company, I can say your own laundry kit with clothes line is probably one of the best investments you will make. There is rarely a laundry place and there won’t be a lot of time to do laundry either.[br][br]I had a bag that hung across my stomach, it wasn’t anything special but it did the job and i had no problems. As long as your aware of the people around you. The only time i was worried about it was when i was in Rome.[br][br]For those people that do order things from gogogear just be warned that if you have a problem with there products they don’t respond to you. I had a problem with something i had bought and they never got back to me.[br]Quick to take your money but not to respond to complaints or give a refund or replacement:o[br][br]I had packing cubes to organise clothes and things in suitcase, but even just rolling clothes up will keep things organised :slight_smile:

I have done lots of travelling and I just used a large handbag. If you have a back pack it screams ‘tourist’ and then you are more likely to be targeted by pick pockets- though nothing is absolutely safe.[br][br]I do have a question about charging phone and camera batteries on the camping trips- especially the Mega European. How easy is it to charge batteries, I really do not want to have my camera battery die at any stage. If anyone can give me some advice that would be appreciated. [br][br]Thanks

I’m going to take my charger with me as well as a plug adapter and charge it as we go :slight_smile: I’m also taking extra batteries just in case :)[br][br]I’m sure they would have some form of power in the camping sites though :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Take lots of batteries unless you have a camera that has batteries that require charging! Last thing you want to be doing is worrying about whether you will find the batteries you need and wasting time looking for them.

hey fellow topdeckers!!![br][br]all your posts are becoming really handy as to what im thinking about packing etc.[br][br]however I do have one question -[br][br]is anybody gonna take a guidebook with them??[br]I’m reading MTV Europe and the Let’s Go Europe, as much as Id love to take them, i think they will become a heavy item towards the end.[br][br]so what do yall think??

I went to the freo markets the other day and saw these nifty little tissue things with some sort of space technology or something. Basically you get them looking pretty much exactly like a large mint tablet, then you add some water and it expands to a huge sanitary cloth tissue. Very handy for hygiene purposes on the road, pretty economical too. biodegradable which is handy! [br]I’m gonna get me a box! woo![br][br]http://www.minitissue.com/[br][br]Liz from Perth [br]Grand European June 17![br]+ Thailand

hey cloudy :)[br][br]I’m taking my Rick Steves guide book “Europe Through the Backdoor” and my phrasebooks as well as another book just for reading :slight_smile: hopefully it wont be too heavy! lol But they will pretty much live in my day pack :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hi Liz, yeah I have seen those. Not a bad idea. What I would highly recommend is buying some antibacterial lotion…you can get these from the supermarket in small little bottles perfect for travelling. They kill bugs and you don’t require water.

I took my Rick Steve’s “Europe through the Back Door” when we went away. It was my bible and was extremely handy. Could not have traveled without it!

Hi All,[br][br]I wouldn’t worry too much about taking a phrase book, we did, a very small pocket sized one and we hardly used it because the tour leader gave you an information sheet for each city you visited, and on it was a number of basic words and phrases you might need in the language of the place you were visiting…Very handy!

oh cool thanks! i do still need one for germany and italy as i will be going there and staying with friends in those countries afterwards… :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I also found a good product for when you go away last time i went overseas.[br]It’s called frebreeze (could be spelt different). It basically takes the odours out of clothes. Really good seeing that there isn’t much of an opportunity to do washing while on trips.[br]Good after you have been in a smoky environment as well :). Its just in spray form which you spray your clothes with it.[br]You can buy it at the supermarket :slight_smile:

another tip…those disinfectant gel bottles you get at the supermarket would be perfect whilst traveling to clean your hands and the bonus part is you don’t need water!