Grand Kiwi 2010

Hey!! Booked on this trip starting April 16th and very excited! Is anyone going on this date??

Also looking for some tips about the tour, what to take/what extra trips should not miss out on etc?? Any info would be amazing!

Kate…I just got back and the trip was amazing! I did the reverse and only went as far as wellington. In Queenstown you have to have a Ferburger…there is usually a little wait but 100% worth it according to myself and everyone else on the trip. Aloha Lodge in Nelson is great…we had a spa tub and sauna in our room and it is right near the beach. A few of us went skydiving in Nelson and had a great time…great package deal which included a ton of photos a video and shirt. Swam with seals…although a little cold but well worth it. We all did the glacier hike at fox glacier…you will be walking up a lot of stairs but a great time…if you don’t want all that exercise you can do the helicopter to the top…alot more money. Queenstown was my favorite!!! I did the Canyon Swing 2x the first night we got there. The next day we did the MadDog River Boarding…and tried to go skydiving in the afternoon but the weather didn’t allow us.

You will most likely be going out in Queenstown the 2nd night…as a group…so you might want to bring something a little nicer. You will go for dinner then to ice bar then the fraser’s bar then to world bar. We also went out in Wellington so you might want to pack an outfit for that. A must to do is go on the Glow Worm walk!! You will probably be tired but it was so much fun and the people that slept through it were upset they did. The Milford Sound is great you will be able to swim and go kayaking and at night play games on the boat. There is a crazy gut there named Fine…he is a lot of fun. Everything I did was great. You will have a ton of fun!!! Any Questions feel free to ask.

Hi,

In Rotorua definitely try the white water rafting - they have the highest commercially rafted waterfall in the southern hemisphere there. Also, the black water rafting - cold but brilliant.

In Queenstown, I’ve done the Dart River Jet boat twice (10 years apart, but spectacular both time). You get the thrill of jet boating, with the added benefits of getting very close to a lot of the scenary used in LOTR.

In Abel Tasman NP, I had friends who did the sky diving and they loved it. I did the sailing trip into the national park and hike out and that was brilliant as well.

Cheers,
Stacey :slight_smile:

Hi Kate,

I’m booked for the same trip starting on 16th April too! I wasnt sure what to take. I’m doing a trip in South America first, but I think New Zealand might be quite cold!

Are you just doing this trip, or are you going somewhere after?

I’m so excited - heard its amazing!

Hi everyone,

I’m booked on this trip too but for the 30th April departure! It’s great to hear from those who have already done it and any tips are much appreciated!

Hi Louisa, so exciting to find someone else on same trip! New Zealand is my first stop then going to austrailia and south east asia, you going anywhere else afterwards? Are you a solo traveller or with others? Hope South America is good!

Thanks for the tips guys, i’m really looking forward to it now! Just got another question about money, the easiest way to handle it and how much to take/budget to spend over the trip? Guess its pretty dependent on what activities people do but a ballpark figure would be good!

Thanks,
Kate

Hi Louisa,

Ive just seen that you are starting a tour in April in NZ, Im from Christchurch, NZ, and i can say it will be starting to cool down here. Im not to sure where you are going but the South Island will be anywhere from about 8deg to about 20deg (during the day) At nite it will get alot cooler. In the North Island it should be a little warmer say 11deg to 24deg (during the day). Its a change of season at this time of the year, so some days can be fairly warm, and the next day cold, and frosty. I hope this helps… :slight_smile:

I hope you enjoy NZ!!. :wink:

[quote=15955]Hi Louisa, so exciting to find someone else on same trip! New Zealand is my first stop then going to austrailia and south east asia, you going anywhere else afterwards? Are you a solo traveller or with others? Hope South America is good!

Thanks for the tips guys, i’m really looking forward to it now! Just got another question about money, the easiest way to handle it and how much to take/budget to spend over the trip? Guess its pretty dependent on what activities people do but a ballpark figure would be good!

Thanks,
Kate[/quote]

Hi Kate, im from CHCH in NZ…

In regards to money, im not to sure where you are going, but at cafes, restaurants, bars & shopping most places will accept (cash obviously), credit cards, & eftpos/debit cards. (Im not to sure if you can use eftpot/debit cards that are from overseas in shop etc…) but there are plenty of ATM cashpoint everywhere, just watch out for the fees, your bank may have a affiliated bank here, which you should save $$ on fees.

Food here is cheap, compared to Europe, and can be very good quality, just to give you a few examples you could get a McDonald’s Combo For $8NZ dollars, a bottle of water (at a supermarket) for $2NZ. A good main meal in a restaurant for $20NZ. In the tourist areas, you will find they hike the prices up, so just walk of the main road so to speak, and you should find good prices for good quality food. Big supermarkets are a good place to stop, and get some extras if you are travelling on a bus for few hours like water, chips, sandwiches etc… you will save alot of money then stopping at the tourist spots.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip, im sure you will have heaps of fun… ;D

[quote=15895]Hi everyone,

I’m booked on this trip too but for the 30th April departure! It’s great to hear from those who have already done it and any tips are much appreciated!
[/quote]

i’m going on the trip starting the 30th too!

Just wondered if anyone is going on the grand kiwi tour starting from auckland in June. Would be great to hear from you.

Hiya guys I’m also on the same trip starting friday, I’ve just got into a very wet Aukland. Where are you both staying?

hey I’m doing Grand Kiwi 23 July - anyone else? x

Yes my friend and I are doing the tour from the 23rd. Really don’t know what to pack. Help! Any ideas appreciated?

Hi there…Im doing this tour on the 20th November, anyone else? just wondered what sort of clothes good to take at that time of year? …oooo im sooo excited after reading posts…it sounds amazing…any other tips about this trip or recommendations. i see most of you would of done the tour by now!..

Becky x