Grand European 16th June

Hey![br][br]Is anyone out there going on the Grand European 16th June tour?!?![br]If so please let me know! I am travelling by myself and would love to meet some people before the tour starts :)[br][br]Gem;D

Hey Gem, guess you found the main Grand European thread, but it’s good to have one just for us.[br]Where are you staying the few nights before the trip?[br]It’s gonna be AWESOME![br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009

the thread is soo long![br]Im glad I actually took the time to go through it haha[br]I only booked it yesterday so it’s still sinking in… I am really nervous though because this is the first time overseas by myself[br]I am staying with my sister who lives in London before hand so I won’t be at the hostel you were talking about, but we should all meet up for a drink before![br]Where else are you traveling too? Your from New Zealand?!

Yea,lets meet up before the trip[br]I was originally booked into the summer fun and sailing but the date got cancelled cause of low numbers but this trip is better cause i get to go to spain…all meant to be :o)[br]I fly in on the 15th of June at 5.30 in the morning so i don’t have much time for my body to adjust to the time difference, but who cares! Are any of you on facebook?[br]This is my first time oversea’s and it’s still sinking in for me too. [br][br]Hayley[br][br][quote]Originally posted by yemstar88[br]
the thread is soo long![br]Im glad I actually took the time to go through it haha[br]I only booked it yesterday so it’s still sinking in… I am really nervous though because this is the first time overseas by myself[br]I am staying with my sister who lives in London before hand so I won’t be at the hostel you were talking about, but we should all meet up for a drink before![br]Where else are you traveling too? Your from New Zealand?![br][/quote]

Of course that is part of the experience! How all very exciting, I actually arrive in London 5th May to spend some time with my sister before the tour. I will be in Europe for a total of 4months! This is going to be the trip of a lifetime… I can’t wait for the tour we will have so much fun!! I am on facebook, look me up my name is Gemma Bucholtz.[br]I think this trip covers all the must see destinations in europe which is why i choose it. I saw vicky christina barcelona at the movies and fell in love with barcelona so thats my main reason haha[br][br][quote]Originally posted by yemstar88[br]
the thread is soo long![br]Im glad I actually took the time to go through it haha[br]I only booked it yesterday so it’s still sinking in… I am really nervous though because this is the first time overseas by myself[br]I am staying with my sister who lives in London before hand so I won’t be at the hostel you were talking about, but we should all meet up for a drink before![br]Where else are you traveling too? Your from New Zealand?![br][/quote]

Cool, I’ve always wanted to go to Barcelona. I think I’ve found you on Facebook…lol[br]You’re lucky you know someone in London. Everyone I knew in London have moved back to Australia. I don’t mind staying in a hostel. Can’t wait. I hope more people come on the forum too…[br][br][br][quote]Originally posted by yemstar88[br]
Of course that is part of the experience! How all very exciting, I actually arrive in London 5th May to spend some time with my sister before the tour. I will be in Europe for a total of 4months! This is going to be the trip of a lifetime… I can’t wait for the tour we will have so much fun!! I am on facebook, look me up my name is Gemma Bucholtz.[br]I think this trip covers all the must see destinations in europe which is why i choose it. I saw vicky christina barcelona at the movies and fell in love with barcelona so thats my main reason haha[br][br][quote]Originally posted by yemstar88[br]
the thread is soo long![br]Im glad I actually took the time to go through it haha[br]I only booked it yesterday so it’s still sinking in… I am really nervous though because this is the first time overseas by myself[br]I am staying with my sister who lives in London before hand so I won’t be at the hostel you were talking about, but we should all meet up for a drink before![br]Where else are you traveling too? Your from New Zealand?![br][/quote][br][/quote]

Don’t worry more people should come as it gets closer! It is a guaranteed departure so we don’t have to worry about it being cancelled which is good. I hope everyone is nice…[br][br][quote]Originally posted by hay-atk[br]
Cool, I’ve always wanted to go to Barcelona. I think I’ve found you on Facebook…lol[br]You’re lucky you know someone in London. Everyone I knew in London have moved back to Australia. I don’t mind staying in a hostel. Can’t wait. I hope more people come on the forum too…[br][br][br][quote]Originally posted by yemstar88[br]
the thread is soo long![br]Im glad I actually took the time to go through it haha[br]I only booked it yesterday so it’s still sinking in… I am really nervous though because this is the first time overseas by myself[br]I am staying with my sister who lives in London before hand so I won’t be at the hostel you were talking about, but we should all meet up for a drink before![br]Where else are you traveling too? Your from New Zealand?![br][/quote][br][/quote][br][/quote]

hey girls, i’ll also be on this tour! and am travelling alone too. i get to london a week before the tour starts and will be staying with my cousin, but i’m thinking i’ll book into the recommended hostel for the night beforehand… can’t wait! [br]megan

Wow Hayley, 5.30am the day before! That’s brave. Hope you’re good with jetlag :D[br]Makes sense to stay at the Generator the night before since checkin for the trip is something horribly early like 6am… I could just imagine trying to negotiate the tube with a suitcase at that time of the morning = not fun![br]Glad to see more people coming along, getting excited now. THe places I’m looking forward to are prob. Rome and Croatia.[br][br]What sort of bags are you guys taking? Suitcases? Still haven’t decided… should get onto that.[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009

What is the generator btw and how come everyone is staying there?! Am I out of the loop? haha[br][br][quote]Originally posted by morgannz[br]
Wow Hayley, 5.30am the day before! That’s brave. Hope you’re good with jetlag :D[br]Makes sense to stay at the Generator the night before since checkin for the trip is something horribly early like 6am… I could just imagine trying to negotiate the tube with a suitcase at that time of the morning = not fun![br]Glad to see more people coming along, getting excited now. THe places I’m looking forward to are prob. Rome and Croatia.[br][br]What sort of bags are you guys taking? Suitcases? Still haven’t decided… should get onto that.[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009[br][/quote]

i don’t know what bag to take either - i’m not really keen on backpacks, but think i’m leaning towards taking one for this trip. and def packing a hair straightener, but don’t think i’ll take heels - what about you guys? :-p[br][br]and the generator is the hostel where we leave from and it seems that most people stay there for at least the night before the tour![br][br][quote]Originally posted by morgannz[br]
Wow Hayley, 5.30am the day before! That’s brave. Hope you’re good with jetlag :D[br]Makes sense to stay at the Generator the night before since checkin for the trip is something horribly early like 6am… I could just imagine trying to negotiate the tube with a suitcase at that time of the morning = not fun![br]Glad to see more people coming along, getting excited now. THe places I’m looking forward to are prob. Rome and Croatia.[br][br]What sort of bags are you guys taking? Suitcases? Still haven’t decided… should get onto that.[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009[br][/quote]

Tell me about it Morgan…5am before the day. But I wanted as much time as possible on tour…gotta do what you gotta do. I brought one of those suitcases that can turn into a backpack. I also brought a big day pack so anything I buy along the way i can just put it in that. Cause we can only take 20kg and my suitcase ways about 3kg as it is.[br][br]Gemma, the generator is the hostel where the bus is picking us up from. Maybe you should say the one night cause I think the bus really early in the morning. I’m also saying two nights after too.[br][br]Hi megan!!![br]I’m Hayley, 27 from Adelaide. Welcome… Good to see all us single travellers. It’s my first time oversea’s and travelling alone. Hopefully we can all catch up for a drink. [br][br][br]Hayley Atkinson[br]Grand European[br]16th June 09

I’ll be taking a hairdryer and using that to make my hair mostly straight (what I do at home anyway) and probably wedges or some low heels - depends how much my bag weighs though! If I don’t have enough room probably just flats…[br][br]The Generator is right in central london, and yes, the trip leaves from there REALLY early in the morning, like Hayley said. It makes sense to stay there the night before if you can, because it makes it easier to get where you have to be, and also because I’m thinking most people will be staying there - which means we can probably meet them the night before! I can imagine the people doing topdeck won’t be keeping quiet![br][br]Oh, and just in case I hadn’t mentioned, I’m Morgan, 22, from Wellington :D[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009

I’m megan, 20, from sydney :slight_smile:

What are you guys doing with your phones. I don’t have international roming on mine so I’m thinking about getting a pre paid sim card just for the trip. I wanna be able to call people not just home but our tour guide just in case I get lost. Any Idea? [br]Also, I’m going to take back my day pack case someone told me they got their bag slashed and things stolen. I’m thinking of getting a slash proof bag…What are you guys taking for everyday use?[br][br]As for the straighters and heels…I’m going to fitting as much as I can in that dam suitcase of mine. No suitcase is going to be big enough for me…:)[br]Also, let me know if you what to chat over facebook.[br][br]Hayley[br][br]Hayley Atkinson[br]Grand European[br]16th June 09

I’m kind of wondering about getting a slash proof bag… there’s a massive thread on here of people who have bought them. As things go, I just plan to have a ‘handbag’ type of bag, reasonably small, basically with room for camera, wallet, passports, money and some water… what I usually use everyday around home. But one with a few pockets inside to keep money safe. I used a bag like this last time I went around Europe, kept my hand on the zip at all times but otherwise had no problems - my theory is if it’s wedged in tight enough under your arm, noone can touch it. [br]Definitely not getting a backpack though, far too much to worry about - if it’s on your back you can’t see it![br][br]As for phones - I’m planning on buying a new one when I arrive in the UK since my NZ one won’t transfer at all. Plus it’s old and about to die anyway, so it’s a good excuse. I was thinking about getting a travelsim, the rates for calling are all right but txting ends up being about 70 euro cents per txt which seems outrageous - and I want to be able to use my phone to txt people from the trip to meet up/call people if I get lost. So I’m thinking of checking out roaming plans on the UK networks when I buy my phone - so much to decide over there![br][br]Gemma - added you on facebook, easy to find :D[br]Hayley - so many Hayley Atkinsons! I’m Morgan Dryburgh. Feel free to add.[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009

Hey I just accepted you on facebook morgan! ps my middle name is morgan haha[br]What is a slash proof bag? jeez i sound/feel so dumb haha im leaving in 3 weeks and have no had time to organise anything properly! I have a regular light weight suitcase, do you guys think that will be fine as well as my overnight bag and of course a handbag?[br]Abot the phone situation… if you get a sim card for the uk and put it in your phone from home (as long as its unlocked) apparently it works in all of western europe… well at least that is what I know my sister used when she went on her topdeck tour. Texting people is by far the cheapest way to communicate when we are on tour, however, that 70 euro cents seems outrageous! Is a travel sim different from a regular sim?[br]I really don’t want to bring a sleeping bag though… is everyone?![br][br][br][quote]Originally posted by morgannz[br]
I’m kind of wondering about getting a slash proof bag… there’s a massive thread on here of people who have bought them. As things go, I just plan to have a ‘handbag’ type of bag, reasonably small, basically with room for camera, wallet, passports, money and some water… what I usually use everyday around home. But one with a few pockets inside to keep money safe. I used a bag like this last time I went around Europe, kept my hand on the zip at all times but otherwise had no problems - my theory is if it’s wedged in tight enough under your arm, noone can touch it. [br]Definitely not getting a backpack though, far too much to worry about - if it’s on your back you can’t see it![br][br]As for phones - I’m planning on buying a new one when I arrive in the UK since my NZ one won’t transfer at all. Plus it’s old and about to die anyway, so it’s a good excuse. I was thinking about getting a travelsim, the rates for calling are all right but txting ends up being about 70 euro cents per txt which seems outrageous - and I want to be able to use my phone to txt people from the trip to meet up/call people if I get lost. So I’m thinking of checking out roaming plans on the UK networks when I buy my phone - so much to decide over there![br][br]Gemma - added you on facebook, easy to find :D[br]Hayley - so many Hayley Atkinsons! I’m Morgan Dryburgh. Feel free to add.[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009[br][/quote]

Good advice Morgan…[br]I might just get an over the shoulder bag. I was thinking of a backpack so I’ll have somewhere to put the things I buy…[br]As for the phone…I only have 24hrs in London before I’m on tour so I don’t think I’ll have time. I might have to ask around for other options. I think I found you on facebook :)[br][br][br][quote]Originally posted by morgannz[br]
I’m kind of wondering about getting a slash proof bag… there’s a massive thread on here of people who have bought them. As things go, I just plan to have a ‘handbag’ type of bag, reasonably small, basically with room for camera, wallet, passports, money and some water… what I usually use everyday around home. But one with a few pockets inside to keep money safe. I used a bag like this last time I went around Europe, kept my hand on the zip at all times but otherwise had no problems - my theory is if it’s wedged in tight enough under your arm, noone can touch it. [br]Definitely not getting a backpack though, far too much to worry about - if it’s on your back you can’t see it![br][br]As for phones - I’m planning on buying a new one when I arrive in the UK since my NZ one won’t transfer at all. Plus it’s old and about to die anyway, so it’s a good excuse. I was thinking about getting a travelsim, the rates for calling are all right but txting ends up being about 70 euro cents per txt which seems outrageous - and I want to be able to use my phone to txt people from the trip to meet up/call people if I get lost. So I’m thinking of checking out roaming plans on the UK networks when I buy my phone - so much to decide over there![br][br]Gemma - added you on facebook, easy to find :D[br]Hayley - so many Hayley Atkinsons! I’m Morgan Dryburgh. Feel free to add.[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009[br][/quote][br][br]Hayley Atkinson[br]Grand European[br]16th June 09

Hey Gem[br][br]A slash proof bag is so theves can slash through with a knife and take your things. Apparentley it happens all the time in Europe. My neighbour said that her bag got slashed and she had all her stuff taken. She’s just made me paranoid. I’ve also talked to people who have had no problems at all. I have no idea what I’m doing…[br][br]You’ll be alright Gemma.[br]At least you have time in London to get organised. [br]I’m trying to buy summer clothes for the trip and It’s the middle of winter. It’s driving me insane.[br][br][br]Hayley[br][quote]Originally posted by yemstar88[br]
Hey I just accepted you on facebook morgan! ps my middle name is morgan haha[br]What is a slash proof bag? jeez i sound/feel so dumb haha im leaving in 3 weeks and have no had time to organise anything properly! I have a regular light weight suitcase, do you guys think that will be fine as well as my overnight bag and of course a handbag?[br]Abot the phone situation… if you get a sim card for the uk and put it in your phone from home (as long as its unlocked) apparently it works in all of western europe… well at least that is what I know my sister used when she went on her topdeck tour. Texting people is by far the cheapest way to communicate when we are on tour, however, that 70 euro cents seems outrageous! Is a travel sim different from a regular sim?[br]I really don’t want to bring a sleeping bag though… is everyone?![br][br][br][quote]Originally posted by morgannz[br]
I’m kind of wondering about getting a slash proof bag… there’s a massive thread on here of people who have bought them. As things go, I just plan to have a ‘handbag’ type of bag, reasonably small, basically with room for camera, wallet, passports, money and some water… what I usually use everyday around home. But one with a few pockets inside to keep money safe. I used a bag like this last time I went around Europe, kept my hand on the zip at all times but otherwise had no problems - my theory is if it’s wedged in tight enough under your arm, noone can touch it. [br]Definitely not getting a backpack though, far too much to worry about - if it’s on your back you can’t see it![br][br]As for phones - I’m planning on buying a new one when I arrive in the UK since my NZ one won’t transfer at all. Plus it’s old and about to die anyway, so it’s a good excuse. I was thinking about getting a travelsim, the rates for calling are all right but txting ends up being about 70 euro cents per txt which seems outrageous - and I want to be able to use my phone to txt people from the trip to meet up/call people if I get lost. So I’m thinking of checking out roaming plans on the UK networks when I buy my phone - so much to decide over there![br][br]Gemma - added you on facebook, easy to find :D[br]Hayley - so many Hayley Atkinsons! I’m Morgan Dryburgh. Feel free to add.[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009[br][/quote][br][/quote][br][br]Hayley Atkinson[br]Grand European[br]16th June 09

Maybe I should get a slash proof bag too? Are you still taking the backpack thing you were tlaking about or are you getting a suitcase?[br][br]I was just going to bring my winter wardrobe because that pretty much is summer and winter stuff combined due to layering and im addicted to buying new winter things because I love winter clothes so much more than summer! I hate summer argggg! London it will be cold :)[br][br][quote]Originally posted by hay-atk[br]
Hey Gem[br][br]A slash proof bag is so theves can slash through with a knife and take your things. Apparentley it happens all the time in Europe. My neighbour said that her bag got slashed and she had all her stuff taken. She’s just made me paranoid. I’ve also talked to people who have had no problems at all. I have no idea what I’m doing…[br][br]You’ll be alright Gemma.[br]At least you have time in London to get organised. [br]I’m trying to buy summer clothes for the trip and It’s the middle of winter. It’s driving me insane.[br][br][br]Hayley[br][quote]Originally posted by yemstar88[br]
I’m kind of wondering about getting a slash proof bag… there’s a massive thread on here of people who have bought them. As things go, I just plan to have a ‘handbag’ type of bag, reasonably small, basically with room for camera, wallet, passports, money and some water… what I usually use everyday around home. But one with a few pockets inside to keep money safe. I used a bag like this last time I went around Europe, kept my hand on the zip at all times but otherwise had no problems - my theory is if it’s wedged in tight enough under your arm, noone can touch it. [br]Definitely not getting a backpack though, far too much to worry about - if it’s on your back you can’t see it![br][br]As for phones - I’m planning on buying a new one when I arrive in the UK since my NZ one won’t transfer at all. Plus it’s old and about to die anyway, so it’s a good excuse. I was thinking about getting a travelsim, the rates for calling are all right but txting ends up being about 70 euro cents per txt which seems outrageous - and I want to be able to use my phone to txt people from the trip to meet up/call people if I get lost. So I’m thinking of checking out roaming plans on the UK networks when I buy my phone - so much to decide over there![br][br]Gemma - added you on facebook, easy to find :D[br]Hayley - so many Hayley Atkinsons! I’m Morgan Dryburgh. Feel free to add.[br][br]Morgan[br]Grand European June 16 2009[br][/quote][br][/quote][br][br]Hayley Atkinson[br]Grand European[br]16th June 09[br][/quote]