Fitness

I understand there is quite a lot of walking/biking tours available and I can’t WAIT! Is it quite hard out? Had an injury awhile ago that has made me slightly sluggish so am slightly limited on how adventurous I can be! I can walk for hours on end and go for a slow bike ride but anything 2 strenious body doesn’t like…[br]

I’m curious as well as to how strenuous the walking tours are?, how long they generally last for? etc etc[br][br]Admin can you assist?[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

theyre not that strenuous from what i found, just lots and lots of walking really :slight_smile: you do enough walking to keep the weight off (thats what i found anyway) but i also had a back injur that had not long ‘healed’ when iwas on tour and i didnt have any problems with that. the walking isnt strenuous at all i found :slight_smile: just a casual walking pace[br][br]the only thing i found was that from walking so much my feet were absolutely killing me in the beginning (when i was in london on my own - but this settled down once i was on tour)[br][br]hope that helps :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hey ppl,[br][br]I was kinda wondering about the exercise from a different point of veiw. I’m a bit of a fitness freak - I run and go to the gym regularly, as well as playing sport etc. I also eat pretty healthy food. So was wondering if anyone finds the time to fit in a run here and there, or anything during the tours??[br][br]I really want to try all the amzaing European foods, but am freaking out about packing on the weight!![br][br]Thanks!![br][br]Lou[br][br]Mega European [br](March 2009)

Also, i was curious if we had to go on the walking tours/planned activities or can we go and do something else if we feel like it.[br][br]I guess what i’m asking is am i locked into what the tour group is doing or can i venture off on my own?[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

lol ok…[br][br]Lou, I go to the gym 6 times a week and have been losing weight since june 07. I spent 2 months in europe eating what i wanted and doing what i wanted and when i came back i had only put on 2kg, which i thought was pretty freaking awesome considering what i was eating and there was no gym in site…[br][br]Nicoletta, you dont /have/ to stay with the tour but its better if you do. for example, when we were in rome, on the first night our guide gave us a brief walking tour of rome, then the next day we could do whatever we wanted, but having that night before made it really worthwhile for the next day deciding what we wanted to do… and on the next day you can go and do whatever, we just sorta decided what we wanted to do and found others who wanted to do the same things, and joined up with them :slight_smile: if you really want to have some ‘me’ time, thats cool too, just tell the others and they’ll understand. however if you want to basicaly do ur own thing all the time without anyone else, i guess you shoudl be asking urself if a tour is really the best thing for you… maybe you need to do the whole thing on ur own… not that i’m saying thats what you should do, only that the tours are really social and u should expect to have lots of people around :)[br][br]i had the best time on mine though :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Oh i didn’t mean that i wanted to be anti-social at all! It’s just that instead of doing the planned activities on one of the days i wanted to instead meet up with an old friend and spend the day with her. Just wanted to know if it was possible.[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

absolutely! when we were in rome i left the tour fro the day and went to pompeii! lol[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Good to know.[br][br]I have friends in Austria and family in Italy, am so psyched to see them![br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

I also recommend the beaches of southern Brazil, where you lead a very healthy life

It is good for your health

Walking is great for your health, my friend. However, if you are not used to walking great distances, then I’d prepare myself before the trip by taking some long walks in my city, so I can arrive and be ready for the tours.