First Aid Kits

Hey, I’m just trying to organise what sorta stuff to put in my first aid kit.[br]I know cold and flu tablets are a must, and of course bandaids and headache tablets…[br]Does anyone else have any other ideas?[br][br]…Colina…[br]…Grand European - July 28th 2009…[br]?The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.? - Saint Augustine

make sure you get tablets from your doctor for vomiting. And gastro tablets too incase of stomach bugs.

My basic first aid kit is: bandaids, gastrolyte (fluid replacement in case of diarhoea/vomiting), panadols, sunscreen, tweezers, anti diarhoea tablets, Mylanta(heartburn), a small tube of dettol or something similar, any prescription medication (eg contraceptives), condoms (if you feel the need!!). Also with all the changes in food quite a lot of people experience severe constipation for the first week after arrival, so take some metamucil which you can now buy in capsules. Also feel free to throw in small tube of aeroguard etc depending on where you are going.

thats awesome[br]thank you so much for your help :)[br][br]…Colina…[br]…Grand European - July 28th 2009…[br]?The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.? - Saint Augustine

Hey Colina,[br][br]l’m also planning on packing some dencorub or voltaran or even a peppermint spray in case my feet are really sore and tired.[br][br]Might not be a necessity but might come in handy![br][br][br][br]Spirit of Europe 1st September-24th September 2009

Thanks for the advice :)[br]I actually went shopping today for all my first aid stuff.[br]Ended up also buying immune booster capsules from the health shop and multi vitamins (spent a fair bit of $$ but I hope it’s going to be worth it!)[br][br][br]…Colina…[br]…Grand European - July 28th 2009…[br]?The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.? - Saint Augustine

Another suggestion for your first aid kit is some kind of sleeping medication. Since we will be traveling by bus a lot, it might be hard to fall asleep as well as on the plane. I mean who wants to be awake on a cramped airplane seat for 10+ hours. At least if you are asleep, it want be so bad. So, you might want to get your doctor to prescribe you some Valium or Xanax which will help you sleep and calm your nerves if you are getting nervous about the trip like I am. Most docs(in the US anyway) routinely will give you a limited supply if you are traveling internationally. Of course, you have to use common sense and not mix alcohol with them, but most people know that so I would defintely recommend the meds.

Another suggestion for your first aid kit is some kind of sleeping medication. Since we will be traveling by bus a lot, it might be hard to fall asleep as well as on the plane. I mean who wants to be awake on a cramped airplane seat for 10+ hours. At least if you are asleep, it want be so bad. So, you might want to get your doctor to prescribe you some Valium or Xanax which will help you sleep and calm your nerves if you are getting nervous about the trip like I am. Most docs(in the US anyway) routinely will give you a limited supply if you are traveling internationally. Of course, you have to use common sense and not mix alcohol with them, but most people know that so I would defintely recommend the meds.

Hey dalguy08,[br][br]Good suggestion. l know that at Supermarkets in Australia in the vitamins/health care aisle,you can buy tablets which relax you and help you to sleep, l think they contain valerian or something similar. [br][br]Cheers,[br][br]Philippa[br][br]Spirit of Europe 1st September-24th September 2009

yeah valium would be GREAT, but they wouldn’t prescribe you that in Australia just for travelling purposes.[br]oh how i wish they would! haha[br][br][br][br]…Colina…[br]…Grand European - July 28th 2009…[br]?The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.? - Saint Augustine

If you go into a Pharmacy in Australia (or to your doctor and ask for a perscription) for Phenergan, its an antihistamine which will either put you to sleep or send you hypo - same as Valium.

Sleeping tablets and flying are not the best idea, as is ‘knocks’ you out for several hours and therefore you cant move around the cabin etc to reduce the changes of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). It is particulary worse if you are a smoker or a female on the contraceptive pill as this slightly increases your risk anways. [br][br]However, after that rant, i tend to pop a Phenergan, which are tiny blue antihistamine tablets, which you can get over the counter at the pharmacy. I actually use them for my bee sting allergy and they knock me out for only a couple of hours (normally 3-4). BUT like ange318 said they can have different effects on people, so i feel its always best to ‘test’ your medication before you get on a plane. Take it one night at home a few weeks before you leave and see what effect it has on you. You dont want to take something for the first time and then freak out because the side effects are nasty and you are 10,000 ft in the air!!![br][br]Best just to take some travel calm, which generally contains ginger and valerian (like Pippa Lee said). They are in the chemist and the supermarket.