Fat people

Hi I’m looking at doing the Europe Pioneer in Aug by myself and I’m overweight and I don’t really want to spend too much time with people that are going to alienate me because I’m fat! just want to know before I book PLZ be honest…

For a start, people who judge you probably aren’t worth being friends with.

And let’s look at this objectively. If you are so worried about your weight, August is a long time away. You can (should) lose a lot of weight in that time. I say should as someone who has recently done it.

Anyway, in my experience, overweight people aren’t alienated based on their appearance. If you have a fun personality, people will like you. Someone who worries about their weight too much is not going to be fun to be around, so let that go for a start!

hey chin up lady! go into your tour with a positive attitude and you will be too busy enjoying yourself to ever feel alienated. people are paying some thousand dollars (or whichever your currency is :P) to see the world so im pretty sure the superficial people out there would have prefered to spend that money getting drunk in miami, cancun, or some other all-inclusive resort or spa.

you are going to have time of your life, so be excited, not nervous!!!

if you are still having some worries though, you can always do what xtine suggested and try losing a couple pounds if for nothing else, then for the added energy you will get to have on your trip!

I think there are some pretty good points Xtine and tequilalove made. Half the people on tour will be travelling solo and i think people are less likely to be judgemental of others that way as they are probably more focused on how they will be judged themselves!

Everyones in the same boat remember. I’m not exactly the skinniest person either and i’ve never been able to lose weight but i decided that i’m saving so much money for this great experience that i dont want to spend it self concious about myself and that seems to be great motivation!

What date in August were you looking at doing the European Pioneer? Im booked into the first half of that tour on the 5 August (the Timeless Trail). Only 5 and a half months away. So excited!

Thankyou all I think I’ll definitely go book!
Emma I’m looking at the that goes from 19 Aug - 23 Sep I think it’ll be a great experience!

Isabella I’ll be on that tour with you I’ll make it my personal goal to make sure you have a fun tour (it shouldn’t be to hard)

Everyones there to have fun and make friends at the same time cos everyones in the same boat.
I’m 23 from Melbourne I’m doing it solo and although I’m crapping myself I can’t wait. Look forward to seeing you there.

Isabella, if you wanna talk more about this, send me a PM! I’ve lost 30kg in the last year and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done and made me feel ready to do a tour, but I completely understand what it’s like to be worried about your weight! :slight_smile:

Hey Mick,
that’s great to meet someone from the tour I can’t wait either!

Xtine,
I can’t find your contact info but I was just wondering how you did it?

For starters, everyone on tour is there to enjoy the sights, new experiences and hopefully make some new friends! I don’t know you and you don’t know me… so unless your character/personality is just plain nasty and cruel I don’t think people are going to be basing who they want to become friends with over body shapes and sizes.

Gosh I’m asian and I’m probably going to be on a bus full of different ethnicity ~ I don’t have a problem with any of it! Everybody is different and I embrace myself and others! I think that’s what you need to do ~ embrace yourself and make the most of your trip great yourself before turning your attention into trying to fit in and worrying about what others think of you!

I really hope everything works out for you! :slight_smile:

I think you should definately go on the tour! Don’t let nerves spoil your trip, you will have an amazing time. With all of that walking around you could even loose some weight over there and come back feeling amazing. This is what I am telling myself anyways, so that I can eat as many macarons in Paris as I want :slight_smile:

Isabella, I want you to know that you are not alone out there. It is a very female trait to have insecurities and be self concious. Girls of all shapes and sizes have them.

However, the point is to not let them ruin your experience. I have insecurities myself about my weight and I too have recently lost almost 30kg and I still have hang ups. I don’t know if they ever really go. But Emma is right, you will be spending so much money all geared at having a good time. Don’t be counter productive by sabotaging it with self conciousness.

As soon as you start to feel nervous or whatever, shake it off, have a drink and include yourself. people will gravitate to you if you have a positive attitude and enjoy yourself. But it is all in your control.

Sorry for the long post, but here’s my advice on losing weight.

It’s really a pretty simple thing to do. What you have to do is want it. Once I started, there was no going back. I’d gotten over that hurdle and that was it - I was just so sick of being that size.

I have a rough idea of the kilojoule content in a lot of things from past dieting, and for the first few weeks of eating better I kept a diary of what I was eating, and it really helped me identify my weaknesses. One for example was bread, so I learnt to stop buying so much of it so the temptation wasn’t around in my house (it helps that I live alone). The Healthy Food Guide magazine was also good - lots of low kilojoule recipes for inspiration, but any healthy cookbook is useful. The Women’s Weekly healthy cookbooks are great - cheap, and have kilojoule content included - I don’t pay attention to these anymore, but it shows what kind of cost a meal is!

A meal should be around 2000kj, and if you can have three a day with only a snack or two (say, fruit or nuts) in between, then you can aim for 6-8000kj a day. Depending on how much you weigh, this can give you a pretty good loss (once you get close to your goal, eating 8000kj a day probably won’t work very quickly unless you exercise, or cut back). It may be helpful to use an online calculator to work out your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which tells you how many kilojoules your body burns at rest every day. I found out mine was something horrid like 12,000kj - which meant cutting back to 6000kj (which was actually really easy) was going to result in burning 6000kj a day, minimum. For reference a kilogram of fat is 32,000kj.

You shouldn’t get obsessed with counting these things, it’s just good to have an idea at the start of the content of what you used to eat compared to what you should be eating. Don’t go counting every day, just do a bit of light reading (a piece of fruit is often around 400kj for example, a couple of slices of bread around 800, a chicken breast 1000, a handful of nuts 300 etc) so you have an idea of whether you’re doing things right or not. You don’t have to cut stuff out - just eat sensibly. You don’t need chocolate/ice cream/biscuits every day. You need to change your relationship with food - for example, we have cake day every Friday at work. I used to have to try everything. When I started losing weight I realised hey - it doesn’t matter if I only have one piece of cake, there’ll be more next week. I don’t have to eat everything right now! You don’t really need so many teaspoons of sugar in coffee (in fact I have none now - just cut down gradually). Drink lots and lots of water - and if you must have something sweet, not ideal but I can’t give up soft drink! - have low kilojoule drinks like coke zero etc.

One thing that’s really, really important is portion control. I look at what I used to eat in one sitting and can’t believe it - there’s no way I’d even fit it in now! You have to listen to your body and pay attention to the full signal. It takes about ten minutes so eat slowly. Your stomach actually holds less than a cup. A good portion for example is about a fist-sized piece of chicken or palm-sized steak, with maybe a palm-full of vegies. A good lunch could be a salad roll, or leftover dinner, or a can of tuna on a couple of saladas, pasta (fills about a 3-400mL container when cooked) - and then add a piece of fruit.

Keep your carb/protein/fat balance in check - you need some fats but make sure they are healthy ones, and make sure you get a good combo of protein/carbs over the day - if you have a lot of carbs during the day it’s probably better to have more protein at night, and vice versa. But mix it up. I’m a firm believer in keeping carbs in the diet (I’m a scientist, and really I find this whole low carb thing nonsense), and really you can eat all the carbs you want - as long as you don’t have an energy excess, you won’t put on weight. The reason you don’t want to eat too many carbs - or too much protein or too much fat - is because you then won’t have a balanced diet and you won’t find yourself feeling as good as you could. And if you’re healthier, it will be easier to lose weight. So eat carbs at every meal if you want, just keep the proportions right. 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat is recommended by nutritionists. And when you’re cooking, try lots of new recipes or new flavours - I have a really extensive herb/spice/sauce collection. Different flavours keep things interesting, and you’re less likely to get bored by a meal and want to snack later!

The other very important thing is exercise. You may not like the idea of it but you will feel so much better if you do. The trick is to find something you’re into. I used to swim a lot but gave it up when I was about 16 - so when I started losing weight I knew I would be good at it, so I took it up again. I also started walking home a few nights a week, which is 4km. Each of these was about 45 min of exercise a day - depending on your BMR it could burn between 1-2000kj a day! If you’re into team sports, they’re a fun way. If you feel like joining the gym, go for it - find one that’s supportive. Maybe go with a friend. Then you have incidental exercise: climb an extra flight of stairs, walk an extra stop on the bus etc, run more errands more often, housework, etc.

But importantly: you really have to want it. Just take a good hard look at your life and ask if you can really continue that way. It’s up to you. If you want to do it and need support, feel free to PM me (should be a link on my profile). :slight_smile: And above all things - have a positive attitude. Even if you don’t want to or can’t lose weight by the time you go on tour, just be happy and smile and talk to people - they will love you for who you are. :slight_smile: Confidence is everything.