European Getaway 1 May 2010

Hey everyone[br][br]My name is andy (girl) and I’m doing the 20 day European Getaway trip on 1 May 2010.[br]I’m a little anxious as I am travelling alone, so I would love to hear from anyone else doing this trip :)[br][br]I’m 23 and live in Perth WA, and work in Marketing and PR.[br]My email is youan_mi@hotmail.com if you would like to get in touch :)[br][br]European Getaway 1 May 2010

Hey everyone[br][br]My name is andy (girl) and I’m doing the 20 day European Getaway trip on 1 May 2010.[br]I’m a little anxious as I am travelling alone, so I would love to hear from anyone else doing this trip :)[br][br]I’m 23 and live in Perth WA, and work in Marketing and PR.[br]My email is youan_mi@hotmail.com if you would like to get in touch :)[br][br]European Getaway 1 May 2010

hey am looking at doing this one too, but not sure of date prob end of May only so im not alone for my birthday on 12/06![br]I just cant decide whether i have enough confidence to travel all the way to uk/europe on my own/work after etc. argh.

Hey, I’m doing this tour but leaving the 5th of June. I know exactly what you mean about travelling alone. I’m also planning on working and travelling more after the tour. It’s a little scary but I just keep thinking of all the awesome people and experiences I’ll have along the way![br][br]Euorpean Getaway June 2010

Hey Guys, I’m Sarah and I definitely know what you mean about coming over by yourself. I did it in August, went on the Mega European and am now working in London. [br]Dont worry at all about travelling by yourself on a tour, you meet so many great people! It does take a bit of adjustment going in to work after, I have been nannying but have resigned and managing a pizza restaurant from next week![br]You are so close to everywhere in Europe, the travel is amazing…flying to stockholm from london return for ?40 this weekend![br]If you’ve got any questions just ask, but I say, do it![br][br][br]London to Athens -[br]August 30 2009[br]Brugge Christmas - Dec 2009[br]Edinburgh Hogmanay 09/10!

Hey Guys,[br]Totally agree with Sarah…travelling alone might be scary at first but by the time you reach Dover after leaving London at the start of your trip I guarantee you will have made at least 1 friend![br]I did the European Getaway this year (16 May) it was PERFECT. I have never had more fun in my life. I cant fault this tour. Made some awesome friends, got addicted to Topdeck and Europe and didn’t want the trip to end.[br]If you have any questions about the Euro Getaway trip or travelling in general just ask. Im happy to help![br]Happy Travels[br]Christine[br][br]European Getaway 16 May 2009[br]Oktoberfest 18 Sept 2009[br]Brugge Christmas Market Weekend 19-20 Dec 2009[br]Hogmany Edinbrugh 30 Dec 2009

Hey everyone[br]Ive booked in to do this tour with my boyfriend leaving the 29th May 2010. Im so excited this is my first time o/s and from what ive heard this is a good tour to do. [br]Like everyone else im a bit nervous about meeting people but the way i see it is we’re all there to have fun and meet new people so it should be sweet.[br]Hope to keep hearing from people doing this tour.[br][br][br][br][br]Jess :o)

Hi Andy, only just read your post - I’m planning on doing this tour too. 01 May - 20 May. I was originally going to be doing an earlier one but changed my mind so I could meet up with my friend after as she arrives in the UK on May 21.[br][br]20 Perth WA

Hi guys - thanks for all your messages

Starting to get pretty excited because it’s coming up soo fast!!

For those of you that have already been on this tour or a similar one, can you please tell me if you took a suitcase or a backpack, and what your experiences were with it? I’m really tossing up which one to take!!

Hi guys - thanks for all your messages

Starting to get pretty excited because it’s coming up soo fast!!

For those of you that have already been on this tour or a similar one, can you please tell me if you took a suitcase or a backpack, and what your experiences were with it? I’m really tossing up which one to take!!

Hi All

I’ve only just started having a look through these forums and there is a hell of a lot of good info here, such as take panadol/sudafed etc. Great work to all those Top Deck Alumni who come one to give us newbies this sort of advice!

I’m Sam (guy), 25 and from Sydney. I am also doing the European Getaway beginning 1 May.

This will be my first trip overseas on a plan (I’ve done a cruise ship) and the first time alone. I though have been reassured by plenty of people that this is actually the best way to do it because it forces you to meet new people - so I guess because of that I am not that anxious about it (that and I moved to a new city for Uni when I was 18, only knowing one other person at the time!)

When are you all flying in and where are you staying? I get in on 28 April and am staying at the Clink until we depart. Also what are your plans for after the tour? I am going to stay at another hostel somewhere then get a job in a London pub to meet people/earn money etc…

My email is samwiltshire@gmail.com if you want to get in contact prior to getting over to London-town.

Have fun all and soon we’ll be drinking wine in Paris/beer in Germany/cocktails in Monaco and visiting cafes in Amsterdam!

Sam

Hey Hey Andy!

Your thread has come to life again! It was good to meet up with you. We should meet up soon again before our trip and swap packing lists.

Hi Sam, I’m Sue from Perth also. My husband, Siang and I will be doing exactly the same tour dept 1 May 2010. We are both looking forward to the trip.

Hi Amanda, What an awesome trip you have scheduled! Around the world! If you find out with regards to sending stuff back to Australia…I’d be interested. I have heard that shipping was quite cheap to post to Australia…but I’m not sure…maybe start a new thread?

Gee!! This trip all coming up so quickly! It’s exactly 51 days to the start of the tour…44 days to the date of our flight. Woohoo! ;D

Sue

European Getaway 1 May 2010

Thanks Sue, I copy and pasted and made a new thred. This is my second time on this. Cheers X Amanda

Hi everyone

I’m going on this tour too from May 1-20 counting down these last 7 weeks its going so quick! I’m 20, from Brisbane and this will be my first time overseas by myself although i have done a few other trips (indonesia, thailand, cruise ship etc.). I’ve also been to europe when i was a kid but can’t remember much unfortunately! I finished uni last year so I thought I better get this trip out of my system before I get a “real” job

Anyway I’ll be arriving in London on April 29th and staying at the Clink until the tour starts and also one night when we get back on the 20th. After the tour I’m thinking about spending the next 6 weeks backpacking my way down France into Spain and possibly Portugal. World Cup is on in South Africa during this time so the atmosphere/parties should be awesome all over Europe!

I’m in the same boat as everyone trying to sort out cheap phone ideas, travelsim.net.au seems good but there may be cheaper local sim options in Europe so i might just sort it out over there.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and will be seeing you in 7 weeks time,

Adam

Hi everyone,

I’m Taryn and am also doing this tour from 1-20 May - will be great 2 meet u all!

Andy, I’m taking a backpack. Was going to take a suitcase with wheels but after chatting to a mate of mine who went on a similar Top Deck tour last year, have been told there are a few places with stairs, so have borrowed a backpack (hoping I can fit everything in - not 2 good at packing light especially for a 3 week period!). But I don’t think it will matter 2 much whether u decide on the suitcase or backpack.

Am flying into London on the 25th April and staying with a friend of a friend for the week b4 the tour starts. Afterwards I’m moving 2 London (have a 2 yr working Visa sorted) and hoping (!) 2 find contract work in the finance industry and keep travelling here and there.

Anyway I look forward to meeting everyone and if anyone wants to contact me via email before we leave please do… tazi8888@yahoo.com.au

Cheers

Taryn

Hey Everyone

It seems that a few of us have similar plans - to be working in London for a while after the tour. My loose plans are to do pub work for little while (say 3-12 months) then get a job in marketing, advertising or media (I currently work in marketing).

Also Adam mentioned that the world cup will be on - the atmosphere will be awesome wherever you/we go - cant wait!

On the note of the backpack vs suitcase - I have also bought a suitcase, but am thinking of selling it and getting a backpack as I have recieved quite a bit of ‘friendly advice’ from my mates who have travelled.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all.

Sam

Hi All!

It’ll be exactly 6 weeks till our tour this Saturday (20th March 2010)!! Has everybody received their paperwork/Itinerary, Topdeck Packing List and Optionals? I’m hoping to pick up my pack up tomorrow. The planning begins…

Hi Sam - If you haven’t bought your backpack, I’d probably recommend buying one that is a ‘2-in one’. Sort of like a backpack with wheels. I think you should be able to get ones that are 60L - 75L - Great sizes for the trip. Kathmandu, Osprey, Caribee are brands that I looked at. My husband and I settled on one from Kathmandu because it was the cheapest at 50% off. Always a bargain hunter ;D

Hey Taryn - Being a girl…how is your packing list going? I’m struggling with mine… I’m worried about packing too much… maybe I should leave more things out so I have more of an excuse to buy stuff. Shhh! Don’t tell my husband… :wink:

Hi Adam - You are so young! or am I really old? :slight_smile:

Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

Hey Sue

I’m picking up my itinerary etc on Saturday - it’s all starting to seem very real and exciting now that it’s so close!

The packing list - well, I’m getting a bit worried. Got my backpack last night and it looks so small! Think I’m going to have to be very strict with what I pack. Also it has a lot of zips and compartments - I undid the whole thing to see how big I could make it and now I can’t get it back together again - and no instructions!!!

Btw don’t feel old!! I’m 29 but not really concerned about how young/old our group is cos I know it’s gonna be awesome ;D

Only 44 sleeps now…

Hi All,

LOL!! Have you looked at the reviews at some of the hotels we will be staying at on the tour? A few of them had atrocious reviews! :o Oh well…for the good price we pay with Topdeck, I won’t expect much. I’ll be happy with a shower and a bed to sleep on every night. I’ve read somewhere in the forum that the campsites are the best condition, then the hostels, then the hotels.

Hi Taryn! Yess…I’m re-jigging my packing list so that there will be less to pack. I am worried about not having enough clothes to keep warm or cool due to the time we’re going as the weather can go either way. Ah well…if I don’t have enough, I guess I can buy it on the trip.

Oh no!! did you manage to put your back pack together? I hope so!

Nah…not too concerned about age…I’m just jealous because I want to be Adam’s age again so I have more time to do more of these tours!

Only 40 sleeps to go…and 33 till take off! ;D

Hi Everyone

Wow - this thread has really taken off which is exciting. To everyone travelling on the 1 - 20 May tour a big hello :slight_smile: - and I can’t believe it’s only just over a month before we leave!!

I will be flying to London on the 28th of April (so arrive in London on the 29th), and staying at the Clink the day before the tour leaves (as it’s a bloody early start the morning we leave!) To everyone that’s staying at the Clink before we go - we must have a pre-drink to meet and greet.

I ended up buying a wheelable case that doubles as a backpack (has proper cushioned straps that zip away), and it’s fantastic.

I got the details of this site which has free delivery, but ended up using the site as a bargaining point with a local seller to get a good price:

I’m staying on for an extra 8 days after the tour finishes, and would love to do a mini trip to Scotland if money permits :slight_smile:

Anyways my email is youan_mi@hotmail.com if anyone wants to drop me a line before the tour.

Andy