EuroCamping London to Rome Depart: 31 Aug 2008!

Hey All,[br][br]Anybody doing this trip?? [br][br]Finally going on an OE & it will be great to catch up with someone who is on this trip. I will be staying at the Globetrotter the night before and will be in London for a bit before the trip.[br][br]Any tips on EuroCamping? Has anyone done this trip?[br][br]Sarah :slight_smile: [br]

Hey Sarah![br]I’ll be joining you on this trip with my friend but we are doing the 47 day trip which includes your trip. Looking forward to it!! Cant wait![br][br]Sharyn;D

Hey Sharyn,[br][br]Awesome, it’s great to be in touch before we actually go. Yeh I’m really excited. Are you guys staying at the globetrotter the night before?[br][br]Sarah :wink:

Hey Sarah,[br]Yeah pretty sure we will be staying the hostel. My friend i’m going with just lives outside of london but though it would be easier to stay in town. Looking forward to it!! Cant wait!! There is another aussie going on the 47 day trip as well. [br]Anyways feel free to email me: shazabadazza@hotmail.com[br]Speak soon Sharyn

Hey Sharyn,[br][br]Yeh getting excited now, even though it’s still a few months away.[br][br]Thanks for your email, mine is: friend.sarah@gmail.com so feel free to email when-ever. [br][br]S:)

Hey Everyone,[br][br]Anyone flying Rome to London on the 14th September after this trip?[br][br]Anybody else on this trip??[br][br]S;)

hey,[br]I’ll be on the trip but I’m staying on for the full 47 days. Will be in the globetrotter from the 26th. When r u heading over? if u wanna join my little group for a bit of sightseeing if ur over early drop me an email kathryn.jamieson@optusnet.com.au[br]can’t wait,[br]Kat

Hey Kat,[br][br]Sounds great, I arrive in London on about the 10th of August so would be keen to get out with some people! My sister lives there but will be working during the day so would be keen for anything. [br][br]My email is there in the posts so feel free to get in touch.[br][br]I will be staying at the globetrotter just the night before the trip on the 30th of August.[br][br]Sarah :slight_smile:

Myself and a friend are on this tour.[br][br]Cant wait.[br][br]I’ll be in London from the 26th, so hopefully we can meet up, I havent booked accommodation yet(stupid I know…), but my UK visa application comes first I guess.[br][br]See you guys in what, 80 something days?

Hey…[br][br]Ooh sounds great, do you do the London to Rome or carry on with the 47 day tour?? [br][br]If you are doing the 14 day trip, what are you’re plans when it finishes, do you fly back to London or do something else exciting??[br][br]Awesome, can’t wait,[br]See you soon :slight_smile:

hey sarah…i’ve just done a 22 day camping trip so i can give you a few tips…it just happened to rain 3/4s of the time too…bad timing i guess, but we made the most of it![br][br]- if u are taking a backpack, maybe get one of those protectors u can put over it…sometimes it got wet and so did our clothes (in the bus 2)[br]- bring insect repellant…comes in handy in some places.[br]- bring an in car phone charger for on the bus, saves u fighting 4 a power point later.[br]- If u dont want to carry a pillow around…i just bought a pillow case and put my jumpers in it. Does the job fine and the lilos have a pillowy bit on them 2.[br]- get one of those microfibre quick dry towels from camping shops. They are light weight and easier to carry round.[br]- bring washing powder (so u dont have to buy some from campsites)[br]- If it does rain…embrace it! You may only be in that place once in ur life…dont let it stop u from seeing what u want to see. Make the most of your adventures!!![br][br]um…hope that helps a bit. If u have anymore Q’s email me londongirl@y7mail.com

Hey,[br]Sounds glad to hear u enjoed even the rain.[br]What kind of access is there to power points? Do the campgrounds have any or just what’s in the bus?[br]Thanks[br]Kat

Hey Leah,[br][br]Thanks for all the handy tips it was really helpful!! [br][br]What happens with you’re pack at night when you’re tenting?? Does it just stay in the bus? Is it easy enough to keep everything secure?[br][br]What are the campgrounds like that you went to??[br][br]Thanks,[br]S:)

Yay…leave home next Friday for London can’t wait.[br][br]See you guys soon.[br][br]Any more helpful hints???[br][br]:slight_smile:

I just got back from Athens-London (2nd half of the Mega European)[br][br]Some hints from my experience[br][br]-It was REALLY hot in some places, so i was extremely happy I had brought a light-weight sleeping bag to put inside my regular one, it was easy to stay cool in the hot places and keep warm in the cool places[br]-I brought a travel pillow-case and stuffed it with my lightweight sleeping bag for sleeping on the bus[br]-Charging stuff can sometimes be a nuisance, but there are power-points in your cook tent that you can charge stuff overnight, and we never had a problem with anyone stealing anything, there is a power-point on the bus, cameras are priority, and there are usually power-points in the washrooms at camp, but these tend to be a little more sketchy, i never left anything there. The power-points in the cooktent are usually your best bet.[br]-Bring toilet paper with you. A lot of places don’t provide it.[br]-It’s totally worth it to upgrade to a cabin once or twice. They’re usually about 10 Euros/person, and having a real bed and being able to stand up is really nice. I upgraded once, in Poland, and it was great cuz i got my camera batteries, phone, and i-pod charged in one night, and was able to re-pack my bag (everything ends up looking pretty disasterous)[br]-They’re not super strict about the size/weight of your bag, but I promise, from experience, that it’s better to bring less. If your bag is huge, you wont have any room in your tent, and the people who have to pack up the bus will be extremely irritated. They need to fit the cook tent, all the food, 5 burners, 2 fridges, all the tents, 40 people’s bags, and all their sleeping bags. There is only so much room on the bus.[br]-Bring an umbrella and/or a raincoat. Carry it everywhere. You will thank your lucky stars when a beautiful day turn gross and you’re well prepared.[br]-Sunscreen is actually important. One person on our trip got 2nd degree burns on her back and had to spend 2 days in the hospital. It’s not worth it.[br]-Your trip will be much more enjoyable if you are willing to help out. There is always stuff to be done, and everything goes much faster and much smoother when everyone helps. The few people on our trip who used to stand around and watch everyone else work were kind of shunned from the group. [br]-You won’t always have a lot of time to get ready to go out. Don’t worry. No one cares. I went out looking like a bum a few nights because we had gotten to camp after a long drive, slammed out dinner, and then headed right out.[br]-There will be a few really long drive days. There is a bathroom on the bus, but you’re encouraged to only use it in VERY serious emergencies. The bus will stop about every 2 hours for a bathroom/smoke break. Your bladder quickly becomes trained to have to go every 2 hours. Bring a pillow to sleep on the bus. After a night of partying, you’ll thank god you have it. Bring a book/Ipod/journal or something else to do. Make a few bus playlists. They’ll play everyone’s music.[br]-We never had anything stolen from our tents. No one bothered locking the tents, plus its just as easy for someone to take a knife and slice the side. I brought my passport, cell phone, camera, ipod, and wallet with me everywhere. Just get a small slashproof bag that you can put across your chest. The more often you take it off, the more likely you are to lose it.[br]-Your pack stays in your tent when you sleep, hence the “dont bring a HUGE bag” you wont have any room to actually sleep[br]-The campsites are all pretty nice, some have pools, some are on beaches. On a few occasions, you had to pay for showers, and sometimes the hot water ran out, but for the most part, they were all pretty good. Your crew will tell you if the campsite is known to be a little sketchy. [br]-Most campsites are located pretty close to town, but expect to have to take a taxi home at the end of the night if you’re planning on going out. The partying is great in Europe, and as long as you can drag yourself out of bed to go sightseeing the next day, its awesome.[br]-Expect to spend most of your money at service stations buying snacks, water, and red bull. [br]-Fill up on included meals. They’re delicious and there’s always plenty.[br]-Pre-drink at camp and on your way into town. You’ll save a lot of money. Plus, drinking at camp is great for group bonding. We had many nights on the metros into town, drunk and silly, and they were great. [br]-Bring every kind of medication possibly imaginable. Our entire group got diarrhea some time between Turkey and Romania. Immodium/Gastro-Stop was god. We also had sore throats, stuffy noses, coughs, hangovers, twisted ankles, busted toes, etc. And its better to be prepared than have to guess what the Austrian equivalent of Nurofen is.[br][br][br]I think that’s all I can think of for now. e-mail me @ m_dubrofsky@hotmail.com if you have any questions. Have an amazing trip!

Hi Sarah, [br][br]My wife Sonya and I are doing the second leg of the tour from Athens to London so while we aren’t traveling with you we will be traveling with some of the others who have responded to your post - Sharyn, Kat… Hope you don’t mind me using your forum topic to join in the discussion?[br][br]32 days to go and very excited.[br][br]We have a friends wedding to attend in Germany on Sept 13, then we will visit Denmark and then on to Athens for the weekend prior to joining the tour. [br][br]Looking forward to meeting everyone.[br][br]Keiran

Hey Guys,[br][br]Thanks for all the tips that’s awesome. Flying out tonight so going to go and pack, I can’t wait to meet everyone. Will stay in touch.[br][br]:):);D

hey my names emma[br]i’m doing the full 47 day leg.[br]i’m coming all by myself so it would be great to catch up with you guys before we head off.[br]i get to globetrotters at about 9 o’clock friday the 29th.[br]only 2 weeks left till i leave.[br]getting really nervous but excited.[br]emma_ho_sie@hotmail.com thats my email if anyone wants to drop me a msg.[br]see you all very soon!![br]xoxoxox