Egypt or Japan

Hey everyone, been thinking long and hard about my next travel destination…I’m stuck between Egypt or Japan? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone been to either country?

Hi[br]I did Egypt in December and loved it!!![br]Its completely different to any country I have been before and there is so much to see ad learn about the history, Well worth it!!! The optional activities were awesome… hot air balloon, quad biking in the dessert, the list is endless. [br]I plan ON japan in the future, it will be easier to do from home I think.[br]Good luck making that tough decision[br][br]Danielle[br]Aussie living in Uk[br]Mega European July 6.

Thanks for your reply Danielle. I was hoping someone had visited at least one of these places. I know a couple of people that have been to Egypt and raved about it. As for Japan, I believe it’s really expensive so I was thinking maybe a trip to Egypt for 2wks or so and then maybe go to Greece (why not) afterwards. I am very fascinated by both countries so it’ll be a tough choice. [br]Will let you know what I choose in the end but it won’t be for travels until next year. Thanks again.

lol Ice :)[br][br]I already have next years trip planned too :slight_smile: my friends and I are heading to Bali :slight_smile: gonna be great![br][br]personally, i would choose egypt over japan as well :slight_smile: my next trip to europe im gonna do (if possible) egypt, greece, more of the uk, rusia, scandy and possibly spain… the only problem is that none of these are connected lol[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

There’s so many places to visit that for some reason I have narrowed it down to these 2 countries. Not sure how I will choose. Will see my travel agent and work out costs etc and then decide. Japan would be awesome but I think I am swaying to Egypt more. Thanks Whirlsie.

Hi Ice! I’m going to Egypt with TopDeck in October. I would definitely recommend it as it is sooooooo ridiculously cheap. Seriously, have a look at the tours topdeck offer. I’m doing the Pharoah’s Footsteps. A 15 day tour for 1 grand! Plus, the Egyptian exchange rate is quadruple! So if money is a major consideration, Egypt would definitely be better. But then again, I’ve heard that Japan is amazing too. If I went anywhere in Asia, it would be there.[br][br]Hmmm tough decision. Good luck![br][br]Pharaoh’s Footsteps: Oct 18th, 2008.[br]Winter European Getaway: Nov 25th, 2008.

Hey I did the Pharoah’s Footsteps and it was awesome, you see a bit of everything!!! Although I hope they use a different hotel in Cairo, it was pretty rough, but clean nonetheless. I would also recommend the upgrade to the cruise on the NIle, the feluca is the absolute basic with no beds or toilets and you sleep on deck and pee and poo on the side of the river, so if thats not your thing, then upgrade. I still got to do a feluca for a short time.[br]Good luck with your decision! Oh did I mention that the shopping in egypt is sensational!!! But the attention from the guys who work in the market can get a bit much after a few days.[br][br]Danielle[br]Aussie living in Uk[br]Mega European July 6.

What if you fall in the Nile whilst going to the toilet?

Do you upgrade when you are over there or is there somewhere on the TD website whereby you can upgrade?

Personally, just incase you want my opinion lol.I’d do Egypt!! I’m doing the TD grand euro tour this year,but would love to go back and do greece,turkey and egypt as one trip!!!and then South America!! I wanna see the WHOOOOLE WORLD! i wish i was rich!! hehe:-[

Thanks Jenna, seems like everyone is in favour for Egypt. Japan has rarely been mentioned…haha. Thanks.

Have just returned from Egypt where I did the Pyramids & Beaches tour & I absolutely loved it. Far exceeded my (already high) expectations. It was brilliant & it was extremely hard to get back on the plane to come back to Australia.[br]Wish I was back there already - and only been 4 days since I’ve been back LOL[br][br]Having said that Japan is definelty on my list of countries to visit as well :0)

I did my upgrade in Egypt for the simple reason that everyone else on my tour had already upgraded and I would have been on a feluca by myself.[br]I think to upgrade before the trip I would ring the topdeck office.[br][br]Danielle[br]Aussie living in Uk[br]Mega European July 6.

Thanks Danielle.

Hi,[br]Well i’m going to be the first to put my vote in for JAPAN!!! I have been there twice and it is incredible, it can be a bit expensive (in particular, the accomodation is expensive) but actual living cost like food aren’t to bad. The people are really nice but depending on where u go, it is really hard to find someone willing to speak english so be prepared for alot of hand gestures. Kyoto was my favorite, the temples are awesome (Kiyomizu temple rocks!!!), and I actually saw geshis in kyoto, plus shopping is awesome, though again, it can be a bit expensive for stuff like designer clothes/shoes, but fun little nicknacs like stationary aren’t to bad, bout $10 AUS for a nice notebook) Only downer for Japan is group tours are so so so expensive. If i were you, i’d go to japan with a couple of mates or family (even better if one of them speaks a bit of japanese) rather than a group tour. I really want to go to egypt to but that is one that I would do with a tour like topdeck. I hope this helps but yeah, definatly get to japan at some stage in your travels. (Kobe is cool too, it is off the tourist track but it has awesome shopping and it is so close to osaka and there is also an onsen (hot spring) nearby (Arima onsen))

Oh thanks “missrik”. My first vote for Japan. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I think I am set on Egypt and then Greece for now. I would probably be more excited to go to Japan but was actually thinking of a tour for 2 wks or so. Expense is one draw-back card and not speaking Japanese is another. Unfortunately TD doesn’t cover Japan so was obviously thinking of a different company. Would never do Egypt without being part of a tour. I will let everyone know when a decision and bookings are made. Thanks again.

If you are still thinking about travelling to Japan in the future, I’ve been there twice and it is great!! Beautiful scenery and a great mix of modern/traditional sights to see. [br][br]Don’t worry too much about the language gap, English is taught as a compulsory subject in most Japanese schools, so most Japanese people, especially the younger ones, know quite a bit of English and love to practice :slight_smile:

Hey Sarah, thanks. Japan definitely one day but I think the “winner” is Egypt…but I know I would love Japan! Must book in to see my travel agent soon! Thanks.