Egypt + Holiday Hit Squad

Hello,[br]Ok, now I’m beginning to worry… TV programme infering that you’d be mental to go to Egypt and the tour being discounted online.[br]What happens to the tours if not enough people book them? Are they cancelled. Will it go ahead with only a couple of people?[br]Anyone got any experience of TopDeck know what they do in these circumstances?[br]Any help really appreciated

Hi there[br] [br]I understand your concerns about travel, especially after a destination is a subject of a TV programme, (I am not sure which one you saw). I am sure you are not alone in wondering about the safety of travel, not just in Egypt, but anywhere. Unfortunately film of loads of happy groups of tourists do not sell programmes and these programmmes focus on sensationalism to sell programmes. Topdeck has been operating trip worldwide since 1973 so we have a very important reputation to uphold. We would not be taking our clients to any country where we thought they were more at risk than anywhere else. Unfortunately terrorist activity can take place anywhere in the world (one remebers Bali and London as recent unexpected targets). We always take a cautious approach. Immediately following the events of September 11th we were the first and only company to cancel what was then our longest trip which was overland from London to Kathmandu. We thought the threat of problems far outweighed the risk of taking a group of passengers through the areas of the middle east and Pakistan, so we cancelled and refunded all clients in full. Other companies ran the trips and anyone who wanted to cancel was subjected to full cancellation charges. The senior management here at Topdeck have children of their own and the acid test is if we would be comfortable in our children travelling to a destination. I would not object if my children were tarvelling to Egypt in the current situation. With regard to numbers on trips, our average numbers in Egypt are considerably lower than Europe. 6-15 are the norm. We will normally run a trip with 4 passengers. We like small groups in Egypt as it certainly helps intergarte with the local culture and our clients get to experience the culture as well as see the sights. I hope this helps your thought process. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like any further information. Regards Dennis Jack General Manager Topdeck d.jack@topdecktravel.co.uk [br] [br] [br]Thanks[br] [br]Dennis

Hello, [br][br]I’m interested in taking a tour to Egypt and a portion of Jordan, but I would really like to know from the horse’s mouth how safe it is to travel around that area considering I’m an american. I heard several stories about terrorist acts against the tourism industry in that area, but then I understand that for the press, nothing is better news than bad news! I intend to go in October 2006, could you please comment on this? Also, I understand that during Ramadan, museums and touristic attractions close earlier, as well as restaurants and other places. Do you know when is the next Ramadan, and how would that impact the quality of the tour? Aside from all this, I took a Connections tour to New Zealand and Australia 2 years ago, and had a great time… so I hope it will be the same experience with topdeck.[br]Thanks![br][br][quote]Originally posted by admin[br]
Hi there[br] [br]I understand your concerns about travel, especially after a destination is a subject of a TV programme, (I am not sure which one you saw). I am sure you are not alone in wondering about the safety of travel, not just in Egypt, but anywhere. Unfortunately film of loads of happy groups of tourists do not sell programmes and these programmmes focus on sensationalism to sell programmes. Topdeck has been operating trip worldwide since 1973 so we have a very important reputation to uphold. We would not be taking our clients to any country where we thought they were more at risk than anywhere else. Unfortunately terrorist activity can take place anywhere in the world (one remebers Bali and London as recent unexpected targets). We always take a cautious approach. Immediately following the events of September 11th we were the first and only company to cancel what was then our longest trip which was overland from London to Kathmandu. We thought the threat of problems far outweighed the risk of taking a group of passengers through the areas of the middle east and Pakistan, so we cancelled and refunded all clients in full. Other companies ran the trips and anyone who wanted to cancel was subjected to full cancellation charges. The senior management here at Topdeck have children of their own and the acid test is if we would be comfortable in our children travelling to a destination. I would not object if my children were tarvelling to Egypt in the current situation. With regard to numbers on trips, our average numbers in Egypt are considerably lower than Europe. 6-15 are the norm. We will normally run a trip with 4 passengers. We like small groups in Egypt as it certainly helps intergarte with the local culture and our clients get to experience the culture as well as see the sights. I hope this helps your thought process. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like any further information. Regards Dennis Jack General Manager Topdeck d.jack@topdecktravel.co.uk [br] [br] [br]Thanks[br] [br]Dennis[br][/quote]

Maybe you sould read this http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_1165.html[br]Ramadhan is September 24 until October 23 2006. From experience in Tunisia, things do close earlier and people are that bit more conservative (ie they don’t like to see you eating or smoking during daylight, which I guess is fair enough). [br]Things may well be different in Egypt 'though as they have a longer tradition of tourism and there is a sizeable Christian minority.[br]The UK government gives this advice http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618385875