Day trip to Pompeii

I was looking at my itinerary for Rome, and I’m thinking about on my second day there (a free day) to skip the Vatican and to head down to Pompeii for a look - I really want to see it!![br][br]The reason why I am thinking of skipping the Vatican and Rome is because I will actually be flying out of Rome after staying with my Italian friend. We are planning on spending a few days in Rome, so I won’t be missing out on anything if I do leave the tour for a day (and she really doesnt want to go to Pompeii).[br][br]I would leave early in the morning to go to naples and make my way to pompeii from there… then spend the day there and return at about 9.30is i think in Rome.[br][br]I was just wondering what you guys think?? Is it possible? is it a good/bad idea?? would love some feedback![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hey Whirlsie[br][br]I did a day trip to Pompeii in June 2006 and it was brilliant. Absolutely amazing and well worth doing. There is so much to see and do in Rome but Pompeii is a place I definitely wanted to see. I did a tour with Enjoy Rome. [br][br]I actually thought so highly of the Enjoy Rome tours that I did four! Two walking tours, one in the afternoon the Ancient and Old Rome Tour, the Vatican tour and another at night time in the Trastevere and Jewish quarter. [br][br]The tour was great, a small shuttle bus took about 12 of us to Pompeii, I then had some friends to see the city with. It cost about 50 Euro. We then paid a guide 10 Euro to take us around and he was fantastic, telling us all the little stories about all the buildings and ensuring that we did not get lost. [br][br]Apparently on average 17 ppl die a year there because of the heat, getting lost and having no water. It was soooo hot. Well over 40 degrees and there is not much of a breeze and the remains of Pompeii are massive. But I would recommend you take a trip to Pompeii, if its something you are interested in, do it, you will not regret it![br][br]Odette[br][br]Odette[br][br]Mega European June 22nd

Thanks Odette ;D[br][br]I was actually thinking of heading down there on my own via train, or do you think its better to do the shuttle?? I think that a train would be more comfortable lol could be wrong though :)[br][br]I’m so glad that there is someone who has done it, cos i wasnt sure if it was silly or not… but i REALLY want to go… ever since i was about 11 and seen the movie on Pompeii lol My brother is gonna be so jealous lol[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Hello[br][br]You could def do it by train. I just thought it would be easier to do it with the shuttle tour as I did not have to organise anything or have anything to worry about and I got to make some friends for the day. [br]You can def do it in a day. I would suggest researching all the options and do whichever suits you best but definately do it, Pompeii is unlike anything else.[br]Good luck!![br][br]Odette[br][br]Mega European June 22nd

Hi Odette[br][br]I has a look at the shuttle that you were talking about, but it only operates on a Tuesday and Friday - and I will need it on a Wednesday, so it looks like train is the way for me.[br][br]Thanks heaps for your help!![br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak