Crossing Borders

I’ve noticed that no-one else has asked this question and i was just wondering about what happens when the bus crosses international borders? Do we go through customs each time? passports checked and stamped? etc etc.[br][br]I know it may seem a silly question but when you live on a massive island like Australia you don’t have this sort of problem. anyway i figure it’s better to ask than not know ;D[br][br]If past travellers or admin could help it would be much appreciated. [br][br][br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

It really depends on which border! Around the EU countries you just keep on driving - the borders are hardly even marked. Going into some of the eastern european countries is more of a hassle though - you usually have to sit in the bus for a while, the papers for the bus have to be checked etc. Then someone will come and collect all the passsports and take them away to be checked and stamped. Going into Turkey we all got to get off the bus and go and buy a visa (except us Kiwis - we didn’t need one). The time it took at each border varied from a few minutes to more than an hour. Hope this helps :)[br][br]Red Star Special[br]26 July 2009

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about this myself. Seems being an Aussie is a free pass into most countries without any problem as long as it is for less than 3 months. The only thing I noticed going through different information for different countries is that Albania has a 10 euro border tax. There is a list of countries under Travelling With Topdeck - Visa information.[br][br]Cheers[br]Simon[br][br]European Pioneer [br]Apr 30th '09

We didnt stop at any borders, and that includes going through eastern europe. our tour guide got off, had a chat with them and we kept going.[br][br]the only time we went through customs was going back to london. we went through customs in calais :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Thanks for all the info guys. To tell you the truth i’m a little disappointed- don’t get me wrong i don’t particularly want to go through customs checks and random bag serahces after each border crossing but i had kinda hoped to get a few stamps on my passport :([br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

hahaha!! I was exactly the same!! i wanted stamps in my passport too!![br][br]but in berlin i went to checkpoint charlie, paid like 5 Euro or something and got some stamps in my passport! lol[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

Leeanna, what stamps could you get at checkpoint charlie??[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands

ill have to have a look at what they were exactly, but they werestamps that were used there when the wall was up. some russian, some american something else as well. [br][br]ill double check but they looked pretty cool. a bit pricey.[br][br]i later found out that you can get these kinds of stamps from most touristy places, such as up the jungfrau in switzerland. you just have to ask :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

as lame as this might sound i want to get off at the borders to have photos!! [br][br]you know, standing with one foot on each side…two places at once…ok never mind lol

i did that for either side of the berlin wall! lol :)[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

[quote]as lame as this might sound i want to get off at the borders to have photos!! [br]you know, standing with one foot on each side…two places at once…ok never mind lol[br][br][/quote]Not lame at all Meg, i wanna do that too! but i reckon as long as i can do it once on the trip i’ll be happy ;D[br][br]Nicole[br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Britain & Ireland September 2009[br]+ Greek Islands